Growing Problems past the seedling stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, Julie Welcome, did you Ph your water to 6.5? And also let your water get to room Tem before watering, cannabis don't like cool cool water and its winter. I just stunted my little seedling with too much water. We all learn from our mistakes.
Keep growing it get better.
1640344809446.png

And if your seedlings are to tall that means your lights are too far from the canopy/top of the plant. It is reaching for the light. Also you need air moving around and vibrating the stem of the seedling which it turn makes the stem of the plant strong and bigger.

About and inch to inch and a half. No more than 2.. HANG IN THERE !!! As said above don't fill your cups to the top when you first plant them that way you can eliminate some stretch by adding soil. Your going to get this ! It is my most favorite hobby. I haven't been able to smoke for various personal reasons for a couple days.. I have not missed a single day of checking PH and such though! - Hopefully get out there a little ways tonight before everyone shows up at our house tomorrow.

About and inch to inch and a half. No more than 2.. HANG IN THERE !!! As said above don't fill your cups to the top when you first plant them that way you can eliminate some stretch by adding soil. Your going to get this ! It is my most favorite hobby. I haven't been able to smoke for various personal reasons for a couple days.. I have not missed a single day of checking PH and such though! - Hopefully get out there a little ways tonight before everyone shows up at our house tomorrow.
Have a Merry Christmas Monk

Light spectrum plays a little into it. If you keep failing after following as much advice as you can from here, you might look into "T5" lighting or similar until you get a couple runs completed.

Or, take a leap of faith and score a tent and light set up first. I have run many small tent for folks and I guarantee it will work.
I think you are suffering from lack of equipment. Not enough light, they just grow a super long stalk and dump over. By the time its three weeks old or so, it should be 2 or 3 inches tall and leaves should be at or past the diameter of the cup. As others have said, adding dirt is something when you are up potting or clones maybe, but you cant just keep burying the stalk.

With light and tent, proper amount of light will prevent that stalk just getting taller and taller. They will stay shorter and the leaves will grow wider and wider. By 4 or 5 weeks you will have a big ball of green leaves and its time to up pot to 5 gal, or what ever size you are going to use.

If you want to grow, get the light and tent first. One of my earliest indoor grows, I didnt have a tent, they were not a thing yet, so I hung the light in the open basement with the plant under it. The tent will concentrate and reflect available light around, plus temp and humidity can be maintained, pests out, etc., but it can be done without a tent. Wait until Mars Hydro has a sale, use discount code, 3x3 or 2x4 tents are very reasonable.

It will work.

Bubba

Last edited:
Shouldn't have to add soil if lights are right distance, maybe change to bigger pots. I start with small pots like 6 inches diameter, about 6 deep , then I go bigger when I go into flowering. I just started some I'll see if I can get you some pics of you want. Also what bubba says is true . I got a nice 5x5 tent and love it, there are some kits with most everything you need to grow .

I usually only bury part of the stems at transplant time. But if your seedlings start to get tall and flimsy a little soil to help
Support them won’t hurt!
Sounds like you are off to a better start this time!
Keep us posted.
Thank you.... I have 4 new babies. THey already look healthier; stem is thicker; I already topped off 2 with soil and the lights are down close - AND NO WATER............It's so hard not to water them; I think it's a mom thing that I want to fuss over them and then I kill them with love (and water).

Or, take a leap of faith and score a tent and light set up first. I have run many small tent for folks and I guarantee it will work.
I think you are suffering from lack of equipment. Not enough light, they just grow a super long stalk and dump over. By the time its three weeks old or so, it should be 2 or 3 inches tall and leaves should be at or past the diameter of the cup. As others have said, adding dirt is something when you are up potting or clones maybe, but you cant just keep burying the stalk.

With light and tent, proper amount of light will prevent that stalk just getting taller and taller. They will stay shorter and the leaves will grow wider and wider. By 4 or 5 weeks you will have a big ball of green leaves and its time to up pot to 5 gal, or what ever size you are going to use.

If you want to grow, get the light and tent first. One of my earliest indoor grows, I didnt have a tent, they were not a thing yet, so I hung the light in the open basement with the plant under it. The tent will concentrate and reflect available light around, plus temp and humidity can be maintained, pests out, etc., but it can be done without a tent. Wait until Mars Hydro has a sale, use discount code, 3x3 or 2x4 tents are very reasonable.

It will work.

Bubba
Here are the current pictures. My little tent until I get a real one. So 3545 is the best one of the 3 that survived this last sprouting. They are one week old. 3544 is all 3 of the new ones. 3548 are the ones I've been hopeful for - from the last sprouting and they are 4 weeks old. 3549 and 3543 is my set-up. The tent and plants are kept warm with a seed mat. Low 70s and 80ish humidity. I have tried this 6 or 7 times and have not gotten past this mark. I still have more seeds to keep trying. Going to check Mars Hydro. Thanks for your input....

Attachments

• IMG_3545.JPG
    IMG_3545.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3544.JPG
    IMG_3544.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3543.JPG
    IMG_3543.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3549.JPG
    IMG_3549.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3548.JPG
    IMG_3548.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 19
Slight stretch in the middle pict near the back. 2 of my current run 4 lights are not emitting the right spectrum and I am ordering a Mars before my next run. I'm not saying that is what you should do but maybe study up on the spectrum thing. Believe me, I need to study up on it a little more on LED's too. I am running average Viparspecters (OK Light, not great) with some Amazon knock offs which I should have known better than to purchase!

Order detailsOrdered on September 22, 2021 (3 items)
Grow Light for Indoor Plants - Adjustable Gooseneck Growing Light Strip W/9 Dimmable Red Blue Spectrum 3 Modes Auto ON/Off 3/9/12H Timer for Flower Gr
SnapFresh

Order detailsOrdered on April 27, 2021 (8 items)
Grow Light,GHodec Sunlight White 50W 84 LEDs Dual Head Clip Plant Lights for Indoor Plants, 4/8/12H Timer & 5 Dimmable Levels
These are the 2 lights I have. The April lights are one color, 2 heads but dimmable. I think it's supposed be sunlight. The September ones I tried cause I was failing. They have 3 heads - adjustable to red, blue, or mix with white like sunlight. So I read in one of my books that seedlings like blue (or vegetative phase) then red or white. I'll have to go back and look in the book I have. I bought 2 grow books that are pretty good. Now if I can just get over this first hurdle and get a second set of leaves..... Staring at them doesn't help; just sayin 😂

Order detailsOrdered on September 22, 2021 (3 items)
Grow Light for Indoor Plants - Adjustable Gooseneck Growing Light Strip W/9 Dimmable Red Blue Spectrum 3 Modes Auto ON/Off 3/9/12H Timer for Flower Gr
SnapFresh

Order detailsOrdered on April 27, 2021 (8 items)
Grow Light,GHodec Sunlight White 50W 84 LEDs Dual Head Clip Plant Lights for Indoor Plants, 4/8/12H Timer & 5 Dimmable Levels
These are the 2 lights I have. The April lights are one color, 2 heads but dimmable. I think it's supposed be sunlight. The September ones I tried cause I was failing. They have 3 heads - adjustable to red, blue, or mix with white like sunlight. So I read in one of my books that seedlings like blue (or vegetative phase) then red or white. I'll have to go back and look in the book I have. I bought 2 grow books that are pretty good. Now if I can just get over this first hurdle and get a second set of leaves..... Staring at them doesn't help; just sayin 😂
You got this!
But you can definitely help the grow with better equipment. I run a sf1000
(Spider Farmer 1000 watt) in a 2x2 tent for my seedlings/clone tent.

You got this!
But you can definitely help the grow with better equipment. I run a sf1000
(Spider Farmer 1000 watt) in a 2x2 tent for my seedlings/clone tent.
That's a perfect example of good starter setup. When you get a larger one, that can always be an extra tent to be vegging in so you are ready to roll in new plants to flower after harvest. Or use it for mother tent, or use as is.

GMO used 4 of those in a 4x4 and had great results. 1 in a 2x2 should work fine. Or 3 of them in 2x4. Multiple tents are handy. They can be "strung together" so one exhaust fan can do them all.

Bubba

Last edited:
And if your seedlings are to tall that means your lights are too far from the canopy/top of the plant. It is reaching for the light. Also you need air moving around and vibrating the stem of the seedling which it turn makes the stem of the plant strong and bigger.
I have not incorporated a fan into the mix yet. I have read that air movement makes the stem frow stronger. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back