Growing Problems past the seedling stage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the little tiny Dixie cups, the kind they give you meds in at Northville, and fill them with a 50/50 mix of tap water and 3% H2O2. When they sprout tails, I chuck 'em in what ever I plan on vegging them in.
OK, took the leap. Before I read your post I decided on about 1/3 c water and 2 tablespoon peroxide 3%. I watched some guy on You Tube at a college who did a whole germination test with cannabis seeds. The ones that grew tails the first and looked the best were soaked in paper towels with 1% Hyd Perox. I chickened out to go that strong. That would have been more like 1/4 C 3% and 1/2 cup of water to make 1% solution. I am in my second grow - Officially.... Yea!!!!
Got extra big solo cups so they lots of room to become healthy seedings before going to the 1 gal bags. Trust in nature - got the soil I used last time Fox Farm Ocean. Do not overwater. Grow.
I really think one of my growing issues was that the plants were really small. I have the "grow" sheets on everyone and will try to keep track of weeks. Also pay more attention to shaping for max buds.
Trying feminized again however I do know what a hermie looks like so will be on the lookout although they should all be girls (found out not always the case).
Here we go: Sour 60 Auto, Gorilla Glue, Sugar Haze, Amnesia Lemon and Super Sour Diesel. The last 2 are the ones I'm most excited about.
Going to work and will move them to wet paper towels when I get home. I should have a "root-ling" by Thurs/Friday.
I also want to try outdoor planting.

Happy Planting!!!!! 👍 🙃

We had the best time. Drove from Napa CA up past Mount Shasta, to Crescent Lake OR and back down the Pacific Coast. Very nice. The different "woods" were neat - Redwoods to monkey scrub.

Your trip sounds great. I see your starting 5 different plants happy growing.

Germination was 100%....Some of these seeds were from last year. I didn't let the tap root get long this time-I've left them to get up to 3/4 inch but this way by planting (carefully with tweezers) I won't have as much of a chance to damage the root. Now the tension starts - did I put them in too deep? Did I break the root? Is there too much water or too dry? When will those little guys (girls) start peaking up through the soil?
Other tent is confirmed to be shipped so I have a construction project soon. We're off to the races. 🌱 👍 🙃

Attachments

• Start Project 2 082422.jpg
    Start Project 2 082422.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Startb Project 2 082422.jpg
    Startb Project 2 082422.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • Startc Project 2 082422.jpg
    Startc Project 2 082422.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Startd Project 2 082422.jpg
    Startd Project 2 082422.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
Germination was 100%....Some of these seeds were from last year. I didn't let the tap root get long this time-I've left them to get up to 3/4 inch but this way by planting (carefully with tweezers) I won't have as much of a chance to damage the root. Now the tension starts - did I put them in too deep? Did I break the root? Is there too much water or too dry? When will those little guys (girls) start peaking up through the soil?
Other tent is confirmed to be shipped so I have a construction project soon. We're off to the races. 🌱 👍 🙃

You're off to a good start Julie. Let smoke a bowl or two, three. Pleasant morning it's raining 72 degrees at 5:55 am. :32110marijuana:

You're off to a good start Julie. Let smoke a bowl or two, three. Pleasant morning it's raining 72 degrees at 5:55 am. :32110marijuana:
you betcha....Typical Napa weather. Marine layer in for a "soft start" to our day. Works really good for grapes.
Double checked the timer this morning-18/6 for the lights, tent a balmy 76/w 54% hum. I may have 100% germination but do I have 100% ability not to F this up. 😜

you betcha....Typical Napa weather. Marine layer in for a "soft start" to our day. Works really good for grapes.
Double checked the timer this morning-18/6 for the lights, tent a balmy 76/w 54% hum. I may have 100% germination but do I have 100% ability not to F this up. 😜
We have confidence in your grow Julie. Sounds like you have a good start 😊

We have confidence in your grow Julie. Sounds like you have a good start 😊
Yikers!!!! I think I will have 100% seedlings too. They're all popping up.

So, I will use hydrogen peroxide method for germination in the future. I followed the science and it works (in my opinion).
I put 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in about 1/2 c water and soaked them for about 8 hrs. I then laid them out on a folded paper towel on a plate and put another plate on top. I used the soaking water to wet the paper towels. 24 hrs later I had 100% germination. I totally would skip the initial soak and go straight for the paper towels if that's your style.
I wet and mixed up my potting mix and where I put the seeds I topped off the cup with a squeeze from the wet paper towels.

One thing mentioned during my reading is that the HP will kill bacteria and stuff that may be on the seeds. That being said I would buy from all the places I have gotten seeds so far. There were bubbles around the edges of some of the seeds like it was working on something. 👍 🌱 🙃

Yikers!!!! I think I will have 100% seedlings too. They're all popping up.

So, I will use hydrogen peroxide method for germination in the future. I followed the science and it works (in my opinion).
I put 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide in about 1/2 c water and soaked them for about 8 hrs. I then laid them out on a folded paper towel on a plate and put another plate on top. I used the soaking water to wet the paper towels. 24 hrs later I had 100% germination. I totally would skip the initial soak and go straight for the paper towels if that's your style.
I wet and mixed up my potting mix and where I put the seeds I topped off the cup with a squeeze from the wet paper towels.

One thing mentioned during my reading is that the HP will kill bacteria and stuff that may be on the seeds. That being said I would buy from all the places I have gotten seeds so far. There were bubbles around the edges of some of the seeds like it was working on something. 👍 🌱 🙃
WOW! There are only 2 cups that have not shown a seedling yet. I do have them all with a baggie over the cups for high humidity. They seem to like it and it must be the boost they got from the hydrogen peroxide.

The hydrogen peroxide breaks down into plain old H2O pretty quickly. The only benefit is a little added oxygen and killing any bad stuff that might be on the outside of the seeds.
In hydro, I replace it in the reservoirs ever other day.

WOW! There are only 2 cups that have not shown a seedling yet. I do have them all with a baggie over the cups for high humidity. They seem to like it and it must be the boost they got from the hydrogen peroxide.
Well it's unanimous-they all sprouted. Who knew about hydrogen peroxide? Since germination went well should I add a little hydrogen peroxide to their water each time?

If you're growing in dirt, I wouldn't. Many claim it kills the beneficial bacteria in the soil. Hydro is a different kettle of fish.
I know folks that won't use it in hydro for all sorts of reasons, but I can speak for my own experience and say it makes for happy, healthy plants.

If you're growing in dirt, I wouldn't. Many claim it kills the beneficial bacteria in the soil. Hydro is a different kettle of fish.
I know folks that won't use it in hydro for all sorts of reasons, but I can speak for my own experience and say it makes for happy, healthy plants.
I can see how they would be super happy in hydro. I can also see that killing off the bacteria in the soil is bad. So I was able to take advantage of it and get to seedlings. I'll put it away till the next time. Thank you. 👍 🙃

I surely did not see this growth at anytime during grow 1. These guys (gals) are 9 days old. It's crazy. Also I only have a few that need a little soil around the stem because they stretched a little.
This time I bet I get much bigger plants. I ordered a greenhouse so I can move some outside. Napa has mostly mild weather so I'm good for a while. I think I'm going to use pots instead of the raised beds I use for vegies. I have 2 options for placement. One spot is all morning sun and nothing in the afternoon. The other spot is no morning sun but hot afternoon sun. Any input? 👍 🌱😉🤔

Attachments

• 9daysold090322.jpg
    9daysold090322.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 9daysolda090322.jpg
    9daysolda090322.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0
Julie, as you may be aware, cannabis plants require a minimum of six hours of direct sun each day but in my experience are happiest when they get up to 10-12 hours of direct sunlight per day.

Those that get only morning or evening sun will do fine but may not be as large and productive as a plant that gets more sun to help fuel its growth

Last edited:
Julie, as you may be aware, cannabis plants require a minimum of six hours of direct sun each day but in my experience are happiest when they get up to 10-12 hours of direct sunlight per day.

Those that get only morning or evening sun will do fine but may not be as large and productive as a plant that gets more sun to help fuel its growth
OK....Thank you. I'm thinking-look out. 🤔

I surely did not see this growth at anytime during grow 1. These guys (gals) are 9 days old. It's crazy. Also I only have a few that need a little soil around the stem because they stretched a little.
This time I bet I get much bigger plants. I ordered a greenhouse so I can move some outside. Napa has mostly mild weather so I'm good for a while. I think I'm going to use pots instead of the raised beds I use for vegies. I have 2 options for placement. One spot is all morning sun and nothing in the afternoon. The other spot is no morning sun but hot afternoon sun. Any input? 👍 🌱😉🤔
Careful of back filling the stems too much. It can cause damp off, and they can rot the stems off at the dirt level.

The size they are now, couldn't you follow the sun and swap 'em from the morning window to the afternoon and back to the morning window at night? Kinda like a sunflower; follow the sun.

Careful of back filling the stems too much. It can cause damp off, and they can rot the stems off at the dirt level.

The size they are now, couldn't you follow the sun and swap 'em from the morning window to the afternoon and back to the
I'll keep an eye on them...Didn't think of that

The size they are now, couldn't you follow the sun and swap 'em from the morning window to the afternoon and back to the morning window at night? Kinda like a sunflower; follow the sun.
I did damp off a few with when learning. Really look healthy this round.

Those that get only morning or evening sun will do fine but may not be as large and productive as a plant that gets more sun to help fuel its grow

Looking at 106 degrees today. Will just do plant care with hum and temp. Not the norm for weather. Seedlings are huge

Latest posts

Back