Gully NFT system questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Stang

Dammit rex!
Reaction score
So im browsing the net trying to get ideas for my first ever hydro closet grow and came accross this.. http://www.gardenscure.com/420/hydroponics/77957-building-gully-nft-system-help.html

A gully NFT system.. What does NFT mean?

The setup seems pretty cheap and somethign that i could do..Is a gully system better to use? If i were to just put the pots in the lid of the container, how would i get the water to the roots?

Can a mod please delete this thread...

I have a bad habbit of asking questions WHILE reading and learning lol

And ive allready answered it myself lol

haha.

naw though, i would strongly suggest not going for an NFT system. although it definetely can be done, it is known that NFT is a setup for an experienced hydro grower.

although it may look simple and cheap to set up, i could unfortunantly almost guarentee you not nearly as good of results as with another system.

NFT is very tricking, and ive seen even the experienced throw their hands in the air at it...

NFT at this point in time, in the hydro world, is struggling to hold its own in production quality and performance.

HAHA thanks man.

After some research i decided on an ebb and flow system...It seems to be pretty simple.

NFT, (Nutrient Flow Technique), was developed by the US Army to feed it's troops in the Aleutian Islands during WWII.

They used a system of tarp lined trenches built on an incline with nutrient solution continuously fed from the top of the trenches to the vegetable plants in the trench.

Smaller scale NFT setups are used for greenhouse growing of vegetables. I have one set up in my front yard with 88 plant sites.

The size of the flow tubes is the most important part of NFT. Root mass will clog the system if the tubes are too small, and cause overflow and loss of solution.

It's not a method that works well with inside grows. Way too much chance of overflow. I get a plant once in awhile that grows abnormally large roots and I get overflow. With veggies, I just hack the roots down by half and the plants don't even know I was there. I wouldn't want to try that with MJ.

The photos below are the system I use in my greenhouse. Each of my 8 grow tubes have 11 plant sites. It works great. I use two very large reservoirs in the middle of the greenhouse with 4 tubes coming out in both directions. My feed isn't like the pics. I feed directly into the end of the end-caps. The photos show a combo-drip/NFT system. Mine is pure NFT.

I'd show pics of it, but it's kind of obvious in the front of my house. I don't want to ID myself...

48 Plant System-1.jpg

48 Plant System-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back