Had a grow question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelbysBaby

Reaction score
My plant is about 40 days old
I've had it on 12/12 for about 1 week now
I got it in MG soil and the pot has good drainage
It's under 4 26W (100W) CFL's with about 7,000 Lumen
I have a fan running in the closet
I got aluminum at the bottom of the plant for reflection
The walls are white
My plant is about 2 foot tall with plenty of pre flowers

Does everything sound in order to you?
It's my first time grow and first time to this site, thanks.

IMG00013.JPG

IMG00014.JPG

IMG00015.JPG

Its doing great but we need to discuss your grow op here.

Preface: Is this a corner in your room? If you dont have an environment you can light-seal than you must start wiht this. But from what I read its a closet, you may want to add a grow room to your closet, much more security, easier to control environment, etc, etc, etc. But.....from what I see.....

1. Not enough light for the space. 7,000 Lumens is alot but only to cover about 1.4 sq ft. This is why she is branching out so much, shes reaching for light. Also the closer you have the bulbs to the leaves the better. HOWEVER! Dont do this unless you have EXCELLENT air circulation as it can overheat the plant, basically burning it. And not like this either ---> :joint:

2. Aluminum is a no no. White paint or mold prevention white primer is the most popular, the best is mylar, the material they use for camping er blankets and windsheild visors. Cheap too.

3. What do you have in the way of air exchange and circulation? Intake? Exhaust? Get this going strong and then you can put your bulbs within inches of your leaves which = more efficient growing.

Your babies look good, your just not using the space you have to it potential. At this rate you can harvest because your plant is healthy, just as long as you can keep it that way.

Different stages of plant life mean you need different ratios of N-P-K. Plus there is a list of other elements that are needed to maintain a happy healthy plant that MG soil just doesnt have. Bottom Line: Your gonna need some nutes.

Right now its in early flower and the MG slow feed soil has kept it going but when the plant demand a new ratio of nutes and even more of these other elements we speak of, you baby could go downhill quick. I DONT WANT TO SEE THIS HAPPEN.

Please dont let it... :(

Your plant isn't sexually mature and I don't see any pre-flowering. When the gal is sexually mature her branches (nodes) will be staggered (alternating). What I believe you are calling pre-flower looks like secondary growth, maybe?? I am going by the pics which aren't very close, but I think you should go back to 24 hr light.

Your plant isn't showing sex yet either, keep a watch to see what it will be!!

Thanks for the reply.
What type of nute should I use that is cheap?
Does that $5 box of MG stuff at walmart good?
As for air I got a fan on the lights, I'm kinda new and poor lol

Roddy said:
Your plant isn't sexually mature and I don't see any pre-flowering. When the gal is sexually mature her branches (nodes) will be staggered (alternating). What I believe you are calling pre-flower looks like secondary growth, maybe?? I am going by the pics which aren't very close, but I think you should go back to 24 hr light.

Your plant isn't showing sex yet either, keep a watch to see what it will be!!

It is showing sex, it's a female it has all the pistons
Sorry the pic wasn't closer

Can you please take a closer pic? I don't want to give bad information! I can't see much in those pics, but I'm not seeing the important stuff yet....

Anything MG is bad for MJ, avoid it like the plague! Soil, like lights and nutes are important for good results, try something without nutes added at all, or go to a grow shop and buy a specialty soil for MJ! Nutes added soil means you're at the mercy of the mix lol. You want to be able to feed the gals what they need when they need it!

I also believe that you are seeing new growth rather than "pistons" (they are called pistils) as you have no alternating nodes, but we need a closer pic to be sure.

Your plant has stretched quite badly--you need way way more light than you have and you need to get it a whole lot closer. That far away, the plant is actually receiving very little light. You should probably have some reflectors around those lights. You also need to get rid of the foil. It is detrimental to the plant the way it is being used and foil is a poor reflector of light--the undersides of the leaves do not want or need light.

You need to actually have some kind of exhaust fan in your space. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on. Just pushing around CO2 depleted air with a stationary fan isn't enough.

I would recommend getting some food formulated for MJ like GH or Fox Farm.

Sorry, saw MG and thought soil....no, stay away from the MG feed as well! THG is spot on...as usual!! :)

Looks like you hve some work to do....like THG said you don't hve nearly enough light. 5000 lumens a sqr foot for flower and 3000 lumens a sqr foot for veg. GH 3 part nutrients can be gotten off eBay for about 35 bucks shipped....don't MG please.

Roddy said:
Can you please take a closer pic? I don't want to give bad information! I can't see much in those pics, but I'm not seeing the important stuff yet....

Anything MG is bad for MJ, avoid it like the plague! Soil, like lights and nutes are important for good results, try something without nutes added at all, or go to a grow shop and buy a specialty soil for MJ! Nutes added soil means you're at the mercy of the mix lol. You want to be able to feed the gals what they need when they need it!

Roddy come on now, we all know MG is just fine as long as you use fast release foods, and use like 1/4 the recommended amount. But not for small seedling or saplings. The big one could handle MG at 1/4 is what Im getting at. The small ones just need a small small small amont of MG or none at all until they start to show signs of defficiency.

Also I want to add that I was wrong in my first post going off of what was said. But no they are not in pre-flower they are starting new branches. It may have what looks like pistils but they havent ejected the actual pistil yet. It more or less is like a leaf at this point. Waiting to be told winter is coming.

I will state again, ANYTHING MG is bad for MJ....IMHO! Maybe the starter soil is OK, but nothing else would I use or suggest using! You are free to use what you feel is good, but you may want to hold off suggesting it until/unless you are comfortable using it yourself.

Maybe there's others out there that us MG for their MJ gardening.....I doubt it though, not the serious ones! Again MHO....

Roddy said:
Maybe there's others out there that us MG for their MJ gardening.....I doubt it though, not the serious ones! Again MHO....

There are (were) a few cats who cld grow in MG time release nute soil....
Godspeedsucker comes to mind.

I agree though....MG is a tough soil to use and use well. I only use the seed starter mix myself.

Well IMHO the worst thing about MG soil is finding one that does not feed for a certain amount of time. This is Miracle Grows specialty thats why its miracle grow cuz anybody can plant some basic flowers and what not and not have to worry about feeding schedules, PH, etc.

Its bad to use for MJ because if you get the stuff that feeds over time wont usually be gone for up to 3 months. MEanwhile you risk burning if you feed even more not realizing that the MG is feeding your babies.

Plus its very hard to determine when that feed will run out and you should supplement.

I use MG. I HAVE used MG. I have ALWAYS used MG. Just not the soil that feeds for x months kind. Have used MG ferts just fine too. Like I said FAST RELEASE, so you dont ever feed. Jeez Roddy dont be so jumpy will ya? Sorry Im not serious enough for ya. Cheers!

Any Miracle Grow soil with time release ferts(nutes) in it is not a good soil choice for cannabis IMHO....let alone for a newer grower trying to grow cannabis for the first time. Every time you water you feed. You don't want that. Save the MG for tomatoes and potatoes.

As for using MG nutrients....I wld chosse nutes made more for cannabis. I use GH flora nova and they are cheap, easy to use and give great results.

Jmo

AlkaloidContent said:
Well IMHO the worst thing about MG soil is finding one that does not feed for a certain amount of time. This is Miracle Grows specialty thats why its miracle grow cuz anybody can plant some basic flowers and what not and not have to worry about feeding schedules, PH, etc.

Its bad to use for MJ because if you get the stuff that feeds over time wont usually be gone for up to 3 months. MEanwhile you risk burning if you feed even more not realizing that the MG is feeding your babies.

Plus its very hard to determine when that feed will run out and you should supplement.

I use MG. I HAVE used MG. I have ALWAYS used MG. Just not the soil that feeds for x months kind. Have used MG ferts just fine too. Like I said FAST RELEASE, so you dont ever feed. Jeez Roddy dont be so jumpy will ya? Sorry Im not serious enough for ya. Cheers!

This has nothing to do with YOU, my friend, this is warning for anyone else reading this thread and not knowing. If you wish to use this stuff, have at it, I'm not putting you down or being jumpy in any way whatsoever, but I'll call it as I see it and let the new readers weigh the info and make their own decisions.

It's funny, you explain exactly what is wrong with MG, then you say you use it and make as if I am belittling you.

^ Thats more like it Ham, at least you explain why MG is difficult.

Roddy I apologize if it wasnt directed at me but it seemed to.

I just want people to know WHY MG is difficult, not just thats it is. Hell gorwing MJ is difficult...unless you better understand, right?

I apologize if I maybe jumped a little too soon myself.

Also if your referring to my first post where I state it wont provide for nutes basically I was talking about nutes other than NPK.

Sorry, I know I've posted the WHY's so many times, it's etched in my mind...forgot some don't read the stickies etc.... ;)

A better understanding starts with reading....stickies, starter threads, journals...all good sources of info! :)

Thanks everyone!
I'm just new with not alot of extra cash and I wanted to try to grow
But as for the pistons I will get a better pic, they are pistions, I do know that much lol. As for the pre-flower I'm wrong, it's just branching.
But I will try to get 2 more 100W CFL's to provide up to 3000 more lumens
The space is 3X3 and the walls are flat white and I took out the foil

You're working in the right direction, my friend, good job!! Still alot of work ahead, but it's all a learning experience! If you can look around for an HPS (maybe a 250w or 400w would be good....at least better lol), you might find oe very cheap!!!

Latest posts

Back