halogen vs hps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high_man

Reaction score
hey guys i was going through a hardware store today and i saw some halogen floodlight that i thought would be great for flowering , they are 500watt halogen floodlights only 18 bucks i was like wow i dont believe lol, i was thinking of have 2 making a total of 1000watts for 2 white widow plants, at the moment im using six 52 watt daytime 5 foot flurocents they are ok but its time to upgrade and these i think can work really well, they use less space and produce the red spectrum aswell, i aslo just bought a 400 watt hps today but think the halogens would work better as they will be more poweful then the single hps but just need to know what you guys think as you guys have more experience in all this any help would be great cheers guys

Hi high'...Halogens aren't satisfactory growing lights. They produce a lot of heat and do not have a spectrum beneficial to photosynthesis.
HPS at 50 watts per sq. ft., is your best choice for a single light setup.

wow cool, so hps is better off thanks for the advice i was gonna go out and buy them today lol, cheers guys, how much watts of hps light would i need for a wardrobe thats 1.8m long and about 1m wide its arond 2.3-2.5m tall i have no idea about how much light plants need i just figured as long as it has good light its all good. this is my first attempt at this and i appreciate all the help you guys are giving so thank you

high_man said:
wow cool, so hps is better off thanks for the advice i was gonna go out and buy them today lol, cheers guys, how much watts of hps light would i need for a wardrobe thats 1.8m long and about 1m wide its arond 2.3-2.5m tall i have no idea about how much light plants need i just figured as long as it has good light its all good. this is my first attempt at this and i appreciate all the help you guys are giving so thank you

50watts per square foot is what everyone recommends for HPS lights

im not sure about the watts you will need specifically

Your space in U.S. is approx. 6' x 3' x 7' tall.
6' x 3' = 18 sq/ft. That comes to 900 watts HPS neded to light up the entire growspace.
Two 400-watt HPS would do it esp. if you upgraded to full-spectrum bulbs, or a 400 watt & 600 watt or a single 1k watt.
Those put out a lot of heat so you'll need ventilation.
BUT first I suggest reading a growbook or 2, to get at least a basic grasp on what you're trying to do.

ok thanks alot guys big help i do have ventilation just hooked it all up today, i have 2 10" fans, one for air coming in and one with used air going out do you think this will be enough or do i need more ventilation i also open the door and put a big fan on in fornt of the door about 2m away for about an hour before the lights turn off thats the time i get home from work so thats the only time i can open the doors and put the big fan on, oh and the 2 10'' fans are only on when the lights are on they have a timer on it so it turns on when the light turns on and turn off when the lights turn off is this ok, cheers guys for helping out most appreciated

Latest posts

Back