Hanna Digital pH Meter? Help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepper

Peace Love & Happiness
Reaction score
Need a ph meter for the new dwc system but dont have much money to spend, this unit is about 30 bucks but dont know if it is any good, meaning if it will last, can not afford to buy ph meters all the time. Anyone have experiance with this ph meter?

ph meter.jpg

Features & Applications:

Checker 1 supplies you with fast and accurate readings on a large LCD. The pH electrode of the Checker can be interchanged with any pH electrode as long as it has a screw connector. Smaller, less rigid electrode enables it to be used in laboratories.

Features:
  • 2" screw-type connector​
  • Replaceable HI 1270 combination pH electrode​
  • (2) 1.5V batteries​
Applications:
  • Test tubes​
  • Pipes​
  • Tanks​
  • Various industrial applications​

Spec Summary:
smreddot.gif
Measurement Range
0.0 to 14.0 pH
smreddot.gif
Resolution
0.01 pH
smreddot.gif
Excellent Accuracy
+/- 0.2 pH
smreddot.gif
Battery Type/ Life
2X1.5V (included)/ approx. 3000 hrs. continuous use
smreddot.gif
Calibration
Manual 1 or 2 points through trimmers using 7.01 buffer (HI 70007) Included and 4.01 buffer (HI 70004) sold separately OR 10.01 buffer (HI 70010) sold separately
smreddot.gif
Environment
32 to 122°F (0 to 50°C); RH 95%
smreddot.gif
Dimensions
7.9 x 1.1 0.8" (66 x 50 x 25mm)
smreddot.gif
Weight
70 g (2.5 oz)
smreddot.gif
pH Electrode
HI-1270 (included

the old saying is you get what you pay for .. i would imagine it will work for the 1st day or two . buffer with it or not .. (calibration kit )this item may be $30 but the kit may be $130 for that unit ..check it out .. ebay member at all

Pepper said:
Need a ph meter for the new dwc system but dont have much money to spend, this unit is about 30 bucks but dont know if it is any good, meaning if it will last, can not afford to buy ph meters all the time. Anyone have experiance with this ph meter?

Hey, just pick up a cheap ppm and pH from ebay that is what I did, so far so good

I own that meter and it works fine. It looks like it comes with calibration fluid but I would still buy some additional. Calibration fluid is cheap, buy 7.01 and 4.01. The only thing I've noticed that I don't like about the meter is that it seems to need calibrated often, at least weekly it will drift a few points, as long as you don't mind having to do a little maintenance go for it.

Pepper - I have the same unit and have found it to be reliable and accurate. Just like cadlakmike, I need to calibrate about every week or two, but it's no bother. Many wise hydro growers of mj and veggies put me on to it and advised me that i don't need to spend a ton for hobby grows like most of us undertake. Hannah is a good outfit.

Thanks. Good to know that some of you own this meter and are happy with it, dont mind calabrating 1 a wk. Never grew hydro before so this will be a new venture. This may sound like a dumb question but how do you guys calibrate this meter? Stick the meter in the fluid and turn a screw? Have no clue on how to do it, never done it and never seen it done, HELP :D

Pepper said:
Thanks. Good to know that some of you own this meter and are happy with it, dont mind calabrating 1 a wk. Never grew hydro before so this will be a new venture. This may sound like a dumb question but how do you guys calibrate this meter? Stick the meter in the fluid and turn a screw? Have no clue on how to do it, never done it and never seen it done, HELP :D

Yep that's it. Two different screws on top. You stick the meter in the 7.01 fluid and then adjust the one screw, then into the 4.01 fluid and adjust the other screw. The screws are labeled. Plus it will come with good instructions.

cadlakmike1 said:
Yep that's it. Two different screws on top. You stick the meter in the 7.01 fluid and then adjust the one screw, then into the 4.01 fluid and adjust the other screw. The screws are labeled. Plus it will come with good instructions.

Thanks, I can handle that I hope :D Why 2 different fluids? How would I know the meter is off, meaning not calibrated correctly?

The way you know it is not calibrated is by sticking it in the calibration fluid and seeing what it reads. If it is off you adjust the screws. It has two screw for better accuracy(one adjusts the low end and the other adjusts the higher end), the fluids are cheap, definitely get them both.

cadlakmike1 said:
The way you know it is not calibrated is by sticking it in the calibration fluid and seeing what it reads. If it is off you adjust the screws. It has two screw for better accuracy(one adjusts the low end and the other adjusts the higher end), the fluids are cheap, definitely get them both.

Ok thanks I think I can handle that :D I hope :eek:

Latest posts

Back