Hanna The checker PH meter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hero4u2b

Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry to be so dependent on everyone here but I just recieved a PH meter in the mail.. It is the checker by Hanna. It didn't come with calibration fluids. Just the meter and replacable electrode. So I take it I water my plants. let the water drip out thru the bottom holes thru the lil rocks in the bottom of the pot and then stick the meter in that water?? and or do I use it to check the tap water right out of my facet? Thanks everyone. Hero

First off you will need to get some calibration fluid and calibrate it...i don't check run off...I find that by ph'ing everything to 6.5 for soil I have no need to. I try and recalibrate my ph meter regularly also...if my plants start showing signs of deficiencies then I know it is time to recal.

Hamster my PH out of the facet is 7.36 thru the soil after watering 6.36. Can one find calabrateing fluid without sending away for it? This is killing me. I have 6 females now the big one is still showing signs of yellowing now at just the tips of the new leaves on top. Thanks hero PS I have the PH up PH down by GH also here are a few pics to demonstrate what I mean by the yellowing on the tips of the new growth. Thanks Hero

I would GUESS the tips to be Nute burn.
What kind of soil are you using?

My My

Fox farms ocean forest.. tap water no nutes. I have the PH meter but they didn't send me the little bottle with the color range on the back and when I sent away for the meter ( hanna checker) it didn't come with calibration fluid. Thanks Hero

7.4 in and 6.4 out = 6.9

you b just high for soil my friend

I think the yellow at the tips looks like nute burn also. I would not use a meter that had not been calibrated--it could be correct or it could be way off, even if it is new.

i was told that the hanna meters come pre calibrated but you still need to check it atleast once a week. i went 3 weeks without checking mine and it was off by 1.7 or so.. you can find bottled water thats ph'd to 7.2 and its cheaper than calibration solution, but you really wanna use the solution if you can.. jmo

I am not using nutes.. just fox farm ocean forest soil with tap water left out a few days since yall told me I was straving my plants with distilled water.. Thanks

If your tap water has a high ppm, you ARE feeding your plants......you just don't know exactly what you are feeding them.....

I calibrate my Hanna meter with both 7.0 and 4.0. Calibration fluid is not expensive. Even though they say they come precalibrated, I think they get jousled around enough in shipping that they can become uncalibrated.

The Hemp Goddess said:
If your tap water has a high ppm, you ARE feeding your plants......you just don't know exactly what you are feeding them.....

I calibrate my Hanna meter with both 7.0 and 4.0. Calibration fluid is not expensive. Even though they say they come precalibrated, I think they get jousled around enough in shipping that they can become uncalibrated.

Yea I'm the same way. I calibrate my Hanna with both 4.0 and 7.0. I do it every few weeks and I find mine is never off by more than .2 or so. The two little bottles of calibration soultion I have will last me 10 years. I just put a little in a shot glass and thats all you need so it is not expensive at all.

-SSF-

My first ph pen came pre calibrated but I checked it anyway and it was off....the only thing that sucked about ordering calibration fluid was the shipping cost more then the fluid itself.....and that is why I have a job. :)
I hate paying for shipping....ironic since I am a UPS delivery driver..lol

Latest posts

Back