Happy Frog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That isn't a bad idea using a filter. It would save me money in the future. Thanks!
Today i installed a Hydrologic Small Boy with the upgraded filter KDF85 carbon filter. Also bought a brand new pH meter, glad i did. New water pH was 10.5. Never liked my old meter you get what you pay for i guess.

Today i installed a Hydrologic Small Boy with the upgraded filter KDF85 carbon filter. Also bought a brand new pH meter, glad i did. New water pH was 10.5. Never liked my old meter you get what you pay for i guess.

What meter did you decide on? I wonder about mine sometimes. It's a APERA or something close. Once in a while I do a double check with the color scale included with GH's up/down oh kits. For the most part, I've trusted mine...when I had problems ( out of distilled, so subbed some bottled water which had high 8 ph) it caught it.

Bubba

What meter did you decide on? I wonder about mine sometimes. It's a APERA or something close. Once in a while I do a double check with the color scale included with GH's up/down oh kits. For the most part, I've trusted mine...when I had problems ( out of distilled, so subbed some bottled water which had high 8 ph) it caught it.

Bubba
I purchased a Hanna HI98107 What i liked about it was the calibration no screwdriver Just 2 solutions + and - then done. also the meter when stored must be in a neutral solution so the prob doesn't go dry.

I've seen folks talk about testing the water out, today 6.5 in 6.5 out So far so good.

I should mention my town water measured 10.5 pH, that's like tums level alkaline. My wife with the old meter uses pH down by eye, she says thats about the amount she put in a gallon of water from the old meter. To day i measured her pH and found she was using 4.5 pH water. When i told her she said she had an issue getting the same test results with the old meter and doesn't use it any more.

Last edited:
I use the fox farm potting soil their coco/perlite mix them one to one in the......Wait for it......cement mixer LOL I use a Blue Lab PH tester. I choose it because it takes water temperature to figure it out also. I used to have a 180 gallon salt water aquarium and growing pot reminds me of that aquarium. PH LEVELS ARGHHHHH

I use the fox farm potting soil their coco/perlite mix them one to one in the......Wait for it......cement mixer LOL I use a Blue Lab PH tester. I choose it because it takes water temperature to figure it out also. I used to have a 180 gallon salt water aquarium and growing pot reminds me of that aquarium. PH LEVELS ARGHHHHH
A cement mixer a great way to make sure you got a good mix. Yes the Hanna pH tester uses water temp as well.

A cement mixer would make the job easier. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket and mix it in there. That takes awhile if you are doing more than one pot.

I use Sunshine Mix #4. This contains no nutrients, you add 'em. Put my seeds directly in it. Have 90% plus germination rate. Simple, works for me.

I use my wagon to mix in.
Is that the one you painted LOL
Morning Bro
1621508379959.png

I use Sunshine Mix #4. This contains no nutrients, you add 'em. Put my seeds directly in it. Have 90% plus germination rate. Simple, works for me.
I haven't tried anything like that. It says it has coco-coir in it. I have bought some all natural bricks to help keep the top of plant soil damp. Black Gold Organic doesn't have a lot of nutrients, but you would have to add them pretty early.

There is no coco coir in Sunshine Mix #4. Also after the plants are growing and have 3 or more sets of real leaves, I water top and bottom for 3 or 4 times to encourage the roots to seek the dampness on the bottom. Then I water from the bottom only. This will leave the top 1 - 2 inches of soil dry. By doing this you will eliminate any soil gnats as they can not crawl thru the dry soil. I have used this method for 8 or 9 years and have NEVER had any bugs in my grow room.

There is no coco coir in Sunshine Mix #4. Also after the plants are growing and have 3 or more sets of real leaves, I water top and bottom for 3 or 4 times to encourage the roots to seek the dampness on the bottom. Then I water from the bottom only. This will leave the top 1 - 2 inches of soil dry. By doing this you will eliminate any soil gnats as they can not crawl thru the dry soil. I have used this method for 8 or 9 years and have NEVER had any bugs in my grow room.
I never thought of watering from the bottom up. I have the pesky soil gnats in one of the rooms I grow in. I use Mosquito Bits. The only problem is that you need to add more water when you are using it.

The plant with the most Happy Frog I have had to flush a couple times. I planted autoflowers in it and tried to mix it with the old soil I had.
after flushing it the plant starts perking up a bit.

I only use Advanced Organic nutes. I do not really flush, but the last time or two I use plain water.

Latest posts

Back