Happy Frog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonp

Reaction score
I purchased some Happy Frog potting soil and I was wondering if I can use that for the whole grow? I am growing some autoflowers. I found an old thread about it and I will probably mix some older soil in with it, so it isn't to hot.

Last edited:
Yes you can just know you will need to feed it extra nutrition when you flip. She needs more for flowering.

I think Pute is correct don't plant seeds or seedlings directly into it (runs Hot). I too have some to try soon.
I may mix some starter soil into the top layer and seeds , I have been experimenting with popping seeds right in the soil and not paper towels anymore.

Yeah do not start seedlings in hot soil although the Happy Frog is not as hot as OF.

I think Pute is correct don't plant seeds or seedlings directly into it (runs Hot). I too have some to try soon.
I may mix some starter soil into the top layer and seeds , I have been experimenting with popping seeds right in the soil and not paper towels anymore.
I have made a hole in the dirt at top of the container and put starter soil in it to put the seeds directly in the pot. It did work but I think the jiffy pellets are easier. The soil has to be wet and in the big container it was hard to judge that. I just bought some 3 gallon felt pots for some autoflowers. I was using 5 gallon containers and the bottom of the soil would remain wet while the top was dry.

Yeah do not start seedlings in hot soil although the Happy Frog is not as hot as OF.
I have tried the OF and it did need some potassium. I did mix it with a soil that had very little nutrients to cut the strength.

I'm having trouble getting a handle on the "hotness" of Frog Farm stuff.

2 grows, same genetics. First one, 50/50 mix of Happy Frog and Ocean Forest. Seemed hot for the sprouts right out of wet paper towel. (Maybe really a PH problem?)

Second time, directly from paper towel to Ocean Forest. Grew like crazy from the get go with no trouble! Go figure!

Will be going with straight Ocean Forest for any upcoming grows, for comparison's sake.

Bubba

At Walmart they have Better Homes and Garden organic potting mix that I bought too. It doesn't have any mulch in it which is good. I went a little crazy buying soil so I didn't run out in the winter if I grow something. I have a bunch of free seeds that I might try.

I purchased some Happy Frog potting soil and I was wondering if I can use that for the whole grow? I am growing some autoflowers. I found an old thread about it and I will probably mix some older soil in with it, so it isn't to hot.
The Happy frog is low on the nutrient made for young plants the Fox Farm Oceanic is the flag ship Veg grow medium and the Fox Farm Strawberry fields is the Flower medium. Got to get rid of Chlorine in tap water, very important or your just killing the biology in the dirt. Just my opinion.

The Happy frog is low on the nutrient made for young plants the Fox Farm Oceanic is the flag ship Veg grow medium and the Fox Farm Strawberry fields is the Flower medium. Got to get rid of Chlorine in tap water, very important or your just killing the biology in the dirt. Just my opinion.
Thanks! I had read people use Happy Frog for seedlings but wanted to check. I have never read to much about their other soils. I buy water and even though it is a pain I don't trust the well water where I live.

Thanks! I had read people use Happy Frog for seedlings but wanted to check. I have never read to much about their other soils. I buy water and even though it is a pain I don't trust the well water where I live.
The other soils as you plant up have specific nutrients the plants need during it's life cycle.
Well water can be an issue, is possible to have your water tested to see what's in it and then filter it. Don't need to filter the house unless some thing bad is found, just the outlet you get your water for your plants.
BC I'm on town water Chlorine is an issue for me but this filter handles Chlorine, minerals and metals. Easy fix for me. Boogie Water Filters

The other soils as you plant up have specific nutrients the plants need during it's life cycle.
Well water can be an issue, is possible to have your water tested to see what's in it and then filter it. Don't need to filter the house unless some thing bad is found, just the outlet you get your water for your plants.
BC I'm on town water Chlorine is an issue for me but this filter handles Chlorine, minerals and metals. Easy fix for me. Boogie Water Filters
That isn't a bad idea using a filter. It would save me money in the future. Thanks!

That's One Happy Frog you got there LOL.
1620079362347.png

That isn't a bad idea using a filter. It would save me money in the future. Thanks!

I use a distiller, it removes darn near everything, except chlorine. (According to the manufacturer. ) Many
municipalities use additives to prevent the chlorine from "leaving" the water. My distiller also incorporates a charcoal filter....which straight up removes the chlorine!

Good news is, chlorine is easily removed by simple filtering.

Bubba

I use a distiller, it removes darn near everything, except chlorine. (According to the manufacturer. ) Many
municipalities use additives to prevent the chlorine from "leaving" the water. My distiller also incorporates a charcoal filter....which straight up removes the chlorine!

Good news is, chlorine is easily removed by simple filtering.

Bubba
Thanks

Latest posts

Back