Has anybody tried this, as he seems to doing everything that you would advise against

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daftpunk

My friend in another country is doing this what do you think his chances are of success!!!

A friend of mine was determined to make 12-1 veg and 6-18 flower work for him.
He germinated 48 x outta 50 x seeds 7 x different strains and transplanted them into giant jiffies.
He then vegged them for 2wks under T5s running 15 mins on 15 mins off.
Then potted on into 1.5gal pots of coco.
Then he started his Gas Lamp Regime of Lighting.
1 week under a 600MH at (12hrs on 5.5hrs off 1hr on 5.5hrs off).
2 weeks under 2x 600MH's (12hrs on 5.5hrs off 1hr on 5.5hrs off)
Then he topped, cloned and transplanted to 3 gallon pots of coco.
Two weeks under 6x 600w mixed MH/HPS (12hrs on 5.5hrs off 1hr on 5.5hrs off) before flipping to flowering mode of 6hrs on 18hrs off.
His room size is 10' x 10' with 6x 600w (3600W) housed in 1m parabolic shades.
From the 48 x seedlings he now has 20 x flowering females in 3 gallon plastic bag pots of straight canna coco that he hand waters 3 x times per 6hr day, with a 2 part feed, to what he'd call a “slight weep” or basically zero intentional runoff.
Last week he noticed slight signs of nutrient burn and has hand flushed them all with 1.2ec @ 6ph.
He has been selectively defoliating since transplanting into the 3 gallon bags.
he also has kept his lamps way above head height since switching from T5s to MH and HPS, he is 6' 5” tall btw.
He has also been running a scary high relative humidity % following the vapour deficit chart and freely admits his room is not yet 100% tuned in or setup and needs to improve his intake and cooling system.
What do you think his plants will look like after an 8 week veg period and now @ 2weeks flower using those weird light schedules, he keeps saying he will send me some photosbut has not yet done so.
I think he is probably a little embarrassed, lol, Do you think he is crazy to grow like this folks.:rofl::bolt::laugh:
Daftpunk

ima need pics pics tell the tale

All I know is I need a nap just reading his schedule. Why? He is having fun maybe?

i just want the easiest way to grow weed.

This from some guy on FaceBook. Zombie plants or some such nonsense. It doesn't work! Honestly, if it worked there are tons of professional growers that would be doing it...and guess what....they're not doing it.

I'm sure he will come back with great pics that wont prove crap.

I have done a number of experiments with lighting and manipulating the circadian rhythm and every method produced inferior results. Like umbra said, if there was a better way, all the pros would be doing it that way.

The truth is, the best way to produce top herb is to dial in all the factors we already know about. You get your temps, nutes, RH and all the other stuff in line and you'll produce about as good a weed as is possible from that strain.

I think it's good that people try new things. I myself, do more experimenting than traditional growing. But as far as what we know now, it doesn't get much better than dialing the traditional factors that we know about already.

Zombie plants????? LOL Where DO we get these names. LOL

It's a scam. If your seeds hermi or flower or look like crap, it's because you have inferior seeds and only his seeds are any good. LOL

Took me way to long to develop a solid plan that gives superior results every time, lots of tweaking here and there....I call **.

All I know is I need a nap just reading his schedule. Why? He is having fun maybe?
LOL :banana:
I still believe that this light cycle is stressing more than growing bigger yield actually.

i like to pour an eight ounce glass of sweet milk in my pots every 7 waterings. helps build good strong branches

I turn my lights on and off every 23.27 minutes. Then during the brief dark period i run naked through the canopy pretending im in that movie Apocalypto. Therefore trichomes.

Flowering has to do with the hours of interrupted darkness a plant gets. Most need at least 10 hours of uninterrupted dark to flower properly. Experimenting is great, but you are not going to change the biology of the plant. I expect this light regime will result in a lot of hermies.

I turn my lights on and off every 23.27 minutes. Then during the brief dark period i run naked through the canopy pretending im in that movie Apocalypto. Therefore trichomes.

Therefore trichomes!!! That was a great laugh thank you.

Ok so my friend replied to your replies with this.

Hi everyone

Please bear with me as it had never been intention to debate the reasons behind my decision to experiment with light schedules that differ from what many growers would consider to be the norm.

I'd also like to take this moment to say that I've been a productive Cannabis grower for nearly 30 years, this is certainly not my 1st rodeo. I've been a professional grower for close on 26 yrs, meaning that I pay all my bills and put food on my families table by growing.

I'll try and explain my reasoning for experimenting before allowing my good friend to show you any current pictures from my grow room.

I had known about the so called Gas Lamp schedule of 12-1 for many years but did not experiment with it until last Summer 2016 when I successfully re-veg'd some Heritage 100% Sativa's that I had grown outside using Light Dep techniques. These plants had been grown in 1.5 gal pots to purposely keep them small. To my amazement the re-veg process began to become evident within just 2 weeks as small twisted leafs began to develop and the plants re-veg'd much faster then I'd ever imagined possible.

At the same time my second od light dep had begun flowering and I had been removing male plants from my garden.

This is when I decide to 1st trial the 6-18 light flowering schedule, using 3 male plants from my light dep garden.

I did so “inside” using T5 lights.

Once again I was surprised to see the males successfully bloom and produce pollen on nicely proportioned plants within a time scale that I'd consider normal.

It was at this point that I decided to expand upon my male flowering trial and to continue to experiment with flowering female plants indoors while using 6-18

Unknown to me my good friend DaftPunk posted a picture here of the very early flowering girls

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74296

Not a very flattering picture and one just quickly snapped with my cellphone while using growroom blue shades to attempt to color correct the picture. This picture was never intended to be posted on any forum.

From the responses here it was clear that only one person “Sopappy” was truly openminded while the rest appeared to make judgement based upon hear say with their negativity and nay say attitudes.

@Sopappy Have you continued to use 12-1 for veg and have you tried 6-18 flower yet ?

However, I did harvest and while it was not my best harvest to date it inspired me to continue using 6-18 for flowering and 12-1 for veg.

Once again my good friend DaftPunk brought it to your attention that I was continuing to use these controversial lighting schedules and once again most of you have attempted to shoot it down with negativity, some even calling the schedules a “scam” calling Bull Manure and suggesting that this is “stressing” my plants and Rosebud appears confused about DaftPunks description of my grow cycle to date.

@Rosebud, while the light schedule may have you confused, I'll try and clarify for you.

During veg

I used 15mins on and 15mins off while using T5s

As soon as the seedlings had out grown my T5 lamp I began using Metal Halides which are unsuitable for a 15 min on and off cycle, so I began to use the more appropriate 12-1 cycle.

As the seedlings increased in size I continued to space them apart trying my very best to not allow them to touch one another. I did this and do this because imo it helps to create compact bushy plants.

When vegging plants become crowded and are touching each other the tendency is for them to stretch. I wanted to avoid as much stretch as possible and grow decent sized bushes before flipping to flower.

So with this in mind this is why I moved on from one 4'x1' T5 unit to one 600w then 2x 600w and finally 6x 600w while in veg as I continued to space the plants apart in an effort to keep them from becoming into contact with each other and the walls of my grow space.

My intention had been to flower the plants in a 10' x 8' space within my 10'x10' flower room. However after reading “Coco Trees” on mjp by DJM I decide to spread my shades and plants to cover the full 10' x 10' room.

My room is now it it's 3rd week of flower and appears to be growing very healthily as the females are starting to form nice flower bud sites.

I am not trying to suggest that this is the “Best” way to garden but to date I have to say that the power savings that I am making are a huge influence on why I am continuing to experiment with this method.

Essentially I am flowering a 10' x 10' room while using (approximately) ½ the power of a conventional room by flowering at just 6hrs per day.

If you are interested in making substantial power savings while growing I'd like to suggest that you take the time to read some of the following links.
When There Is Too Much Light

Joe Pietri 12-1 advanced growing

please note while I'm not fond of Joe or his marketing practices I am grateful for him bringing to my attention the 6-18 flowering cycle. On a side note his group has 5365 members, this forum has 153 active members.

Grow Like Joe

this is Joe's own site and I'd like to suggest that you take just 5 mins to read this one page

For those of you that are truly open minded and curious about these lighting schedules, the power savings that you can make by using them, but are cautious may I suggest that you first experiment with the Gas lamp schedule for veg.

You can use this for seedlings, cuttings and to re-veg your plants.

For those wishing to experiment further, why not experiment with the 6-18 Flowering cycle with male plants, as I did. Doing so would not interrupt your current flowering girls and would demonstrate what can be achieved by using this light schedule.

For those of you that think this is a scam or call Bull manure or believe that I'm overly stressing my plants and not making substantial power savings, please carry on with your own schedules without spreading negativity on a process that you have not personally tried.

Daftpunk

Hey, i love that you are growing, but as an outdoor and indoor grower, we try to mimic the great outdoors with the sunshine. I see no reason to try your way as that isn't how it is done in nature. BUT, like I said, go for it... I want the whole world to grow.. I just don't know why you would do all that. I save power by growing outdoors or now using led... Good luck to you. Seriously, I wish only the best for you. I am just too much of a farm girl.

It's not always possible to grow outdoors rose as we have 4 seasons in europe and only 1 being useful for mj growing outdoors, i understand your reluctance to accept this method but sit back and enjoy the roadshow i shall document it with photos and comments be them good or bad, lol.
Daftpunk

But I have tried it. I read everything Joe had to say and his seeds. I also have been growing more than 30 years. I also compete in the most discriminating cannabis consumer arena in the Central Valley dispensary market. NO ONE uses this method. I am also a scientist and it is bull manure, plain and simple. I use UC Davis think tank agricultural research as a basis for my grows, not a bunch pseudo science with little real world repeatable results. If you are interested in real discussions about growing cannabis, we are here. If you know everything about growing cannabis, then there is little here for you to learn.

It's not always possible to grow outdoors rose as we have 4 seasons in europe and only 1 being useful for mj growing outdoors, i understand your reluctance to accept this method but sit back and enjoy the roadshow i shall document it with photos and comments be them good or bad, lol.
Daftpunk

Great idea, I will enjoy the roadshow.. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back