Has anyone used DMSO for pain treatment as a topical?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosterMan

Who was that Guy
Reaction score
Has anyone used this ? It is called natures Asprin.
Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) is an organosulfur compound with the formula (CH3)2SO. This colorless liquid is the sulfoxide most widely used commercially. It is an important polar aprotic solvent that dissolves both polar and nonpolar compounds and is miscible in a wide range of organic solvents as well as water. It has a relatively high boiling point. DMSO has the unusual property that many individuals perceive a garlic-like taste in the mouth after DMSO makes contact with their skin.[5]

It makes a great delivery agent for ibuprofen. I don't taste garlic, more like paint thinner. And it makes my eyes burn - a LOT. I used it once to reduce swelling in a torn shoulder cuff. Never again... It worked better than swallowing ibuprofen, but not worth the side effects IMO.

If you just want improved anti inflammatory, try Voltaren. It's OTC in Europe, but not in the US. But a doc will usually write a script for it if you ask. Puts most NSAIDS to shame.

It makes a great delivery agent for ibuprofen. I don't taste garlic, more like paint thinner. And it makes my eyes burn - a LOT. I used it once to reduce swelling in a torn shoulder cuff. Never again... It worked better than swallowing ibuprofen, but not worth the side effects IMO.

If you just want improved anti inflammatory, try Voltaren. It's OTC in Europe, but not in the US. But a doc will usually write a script for it if you ask. Puts most NSAIDS to shame.
I have Voltaren it was approved for OTC use about a yr ago
You can buy in CVS or Walgreens Thanks
I wanted to get away from it, also interested in topical apps only.
Thks

Crash anti inflammatory, try Voltaren can now be bought over the counter in the States
Amazon sells it now
My wife tried the gel on an injured knee and didn't think it helped the pain. The swelling might have been reduced, but with ice and compression it's hard to say for sure. I think the gel was approved for non prescription in 2020, but as far as I can tell the pills still require a prescription. I'm going to ask the next time I stop at a drug store just in case it's hidden behind the counter like pseudo ephedrine.

I've been getting the pills from a pharmacy in Romania. I'm sure my doc would give me a prescription if I asked, but it's easier to order them than get an appointment.

My wife tried the gel on an injured knee and didn't think it helped the pain. The swelling might have been reduced, but with ice and compression it's hard to say for sure. I think the gel was approved for non prescription in 2020, but as far as I can tell the pills still require a prescription. I'm going to ask the next time I stop at a drug store just in case it's hidden behind the counter like pseudo ephedrine.

I've been getting the pills from a pharmacy in Romania. I'm sure my doc would give me a prescription if I asked, but it's easier to order them than get an appointment.
I was talking getting the gel only
Never took or knew about OTC pills.
Yrs ago I need a scrip for the gel

DMSO used to be part of the Company's hit kit. They'd mix it with nicotine, smear a little on your steering wheel/put it in a cup that accidently got dumped on you at a bar/ball game. Bye, bye.
Yep But that is refined down to it's purest form Hard for the average Joe to do
Not an electrician

Crash ever get NSAIDS from the doctor for swelling and inflammation

Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)​

They like to prescribe Ibuprofen 800mg which is essentially 4 OTC pills, but paid for by insurance. I learned about Voltaren from my doc when 800mg ibuprofen did nothing for knee swelling after a "routine" procedure. After 6 days he switched me to Voltaren and the swelling was gone the next day.

They like to prescribe Ibuprofen 800mg which is essentpially 4 OTC pills, but paid for by insurance. I learned about Voltaren from my doc when 800mg ibuprofen did nothing for knee swelling after a "routine" procedure. After 6 days he switched me to Voltaren and the swelling was gone the next day.
I have used Naproxen worked very well for me

I'll tell you what. Sprinkle some cocane on your head and put some DMSO on that and you will be ripped in 5 seconds and pass out. I was camping on the San Juan islands when I was about 21 years old and while running up a fallen tree out of a ravine my dog was next to me running straight up the mountain face and I was so fascinated by that I didn't watch where I was going. I jumped off the log to land on the ground and their was a log fence rail in the way of my face. Split my forehead and nose wide open. After riding my 10 speed back to camp that was how my friend treated my head. It was wonderful. Also healed in two days.

I'll tell you what. Sprinkle some cocane on your head and put some DMSO on that and you will be ripped in 5 seconds and pass out. I was camping on the San Juan islands when I was about 21 years old and while running up a fallen tree out of a ravine my dog was next to me running straight up the mountain face and I was so fascinated by that I didn't watch where I was going. I jumped off the log to land on theLucky he did not overdose you ground and their was a log fence rail in the way of my face. Split my forehead and nose wide open. After riding my 10 speed back to camp that was how my friend treated my head. It was wonderful. Also healed in two days.
Lucky you did not overdose , DMSO can be dangerous to use.
Glad all worked out for you

I know As long as you wash really well before use. It will take anything your skin like pesticide or whatnot and suck it right in to your system.
And the only thing I ever Oded on was LSD. Took to many hits at once.

I've tried it for tendonitis. Sorry to say it didn't work, and I smelled like a garlic knot.

I've tried it for tendonitis. Sorry to say it didn't work, and I smelled like a garlic knot.

I agree I tried it in a few recipes and only had abysmal results. For the risk it really isn't worth it to me. The stuff I used to get in the early 70's was better than the crap they sell now. I half severed off my little toe with an ax when I is in the mountains put DMSO on the cut and was almost totally healed in two days.
That stuff was scary.

Latest posts

Back