Healthy Roots Drive Killer Yields

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t finished reading yet but what Bioprotectants would you recommend adding to the root area at transplant?
Hey Submarine Girl,
I like Actinovate (Streptomyces lydicus) And Root Shield (Tricoderma Harzianum) various bacillus stains can work as well. The bioprotectant that works best for you will depend on the environmental conditions in your grow, and the species of pathogen that is stalking your ladies.

I usually use these when cloning, or germinating seeds to protect against damping off disease, transplant is the perfect time to inoculate with mycorrhizae. I don't usually use mycorrhizal inoculants because I have native mycorrhizae in my soil mix.

Last edited:
Hey Submarine Girl,
I like Actinovate (Streptomyces lydicus) And Root Shield (Tricoderma Harzianum) various bacillus stains can work as well. The bioprotectant that works best for you will depend on the environmental conditions in your grow, and the species of pathogen that is stalking your ladies.

I usually use these when cloning, or germinating seeds to protect against damping off disease, transplant is the perfect time to inoculate with mycorrhizae. I don't usually use mycorrhizal inoculants because I have native mycorrhizae in my soil mix.
Definitely interested in changing my soil To something cleaner for my plants. Just need to find something around Virginia Beach. I used FF soil my first grow with seeds I had a couple of plants which I think now was a ph problem. I was happy with the turnout but at the time never figured out why two plants didn’t seem to take in water an nutrients. Well after that grow I put in clones from the first plants using the same soil and nutrients. I ended up with a heck of a time with small leaves during the veg cycle compared to the giant leaves of their mothers. Also I ended up with a calcium Deficiency due to low PH. I can’t help thinking that if I had more control of what I was planting in, it would have helped. Plus if I had discovered the low PH thing prior to late in flower, perhaps my yield would be bigger and of course with less rust on the leaves. Plan to read your soil article next. Thanks for sharing 😊

I use ProMix and perlite. Not much of anything in it. So my plants get what I give them and nothing else. By using the OG BioWar my yield is 20 to 25% bigger because of healthy roots. Ya gotta feed the roots as well as the plant.

My tent conditions pretty much stay between 75-85F with about 50-60% humidity I have had to add humidity one part of the year where I needed more but most of the time the humidity is good. I do wish I could get a lower temp in the tent to get some of those pretty purple colors but the plants health is of more concern to me. Would it make a difference on the product used based on these conditions? I’ve had no excessive moisture problems except for an occasional plant not wanting to drink being excessive water in the pot when it should be light compared to other plants. I’ve also not had any mold issues my garden although crowded gets a pretty good air flow.

Definitely interested in changing my soil To something cleaner for my plants. Just need to find something around Virginia Beach. I used FF soil my first grow with seeds I had a couple of plants which I think now was a ph problem. I was happy with the turnout but at the time never figured out why two plants didn’t seem to take in water an nutrients. Well after that grow I put in clones from the first plants using the same soil and nutrients. I ended up with a heck of a time with small leaves during the veg cycle compared to the giant leaves of their mothers. Also I ended up with a calcium Deficiency due to low PH. I can’t help thinking that if I had more control of what I was planting in, it would have helped. Plus if I had discovered the low PH thing prior to late in flower, perhaps my yield would be bigger and of course with less rust on the leaves. Plan to read your soil article next. Thanks for sharing 😊
If you are re-using soil, you may want to rethink that. I tried to do that and ran into pH problems that I never had before. I have read that as peat breaks down, it makes the soil acidic thus my pH issues. I now just dump my old soil in my vegetable garden where there is a lot more soil to neutralize the acidity.

If you are re-using soil, you may want to rethink that. I tried to do that and ran into pH problems that I never had before. I have read that as peat breaks down, it makes the soil acidic thus my pH issues. I now just dump my old soil in my vegetable garden where there is a lot more soil to neutralize the acidity.
When you reamended your soil did you add organic garden lime to the new mix?
Also good amounts of broken down compost ?

All my used soil goes into my veggie garden. I tried recycling and don't remember much difference as fogey experienced but a pain straining the roots out. And frankly wasn't worth it....my pot was almost totally root bound at harvest. Come to think about it.....this thread is about great root structure.

When you reamended your soil did you add organic garden lime to the new mix?
Also good amounts of broken down compost ?
I did not. I simply reused the soil after removing most of the rootball. Folks advised against reuse of the soil but I wanted to try it anyway and paid the price. I have fantasized about building a living soil but I am a bit lazy and have a problem with the delayed gratification needed to cook organic soils. I know a lot of people reuse soil but amend the bejeezus out of it. My concern for submarinegirl was that she was making the mistake I made. Reusing soil vs amending and reusing soil are two different worlds. Organic lime should help neutralize the pH. As I recall, like is a good buffer as well making pH swings less likely.

Latest posts

Back