Heat and circuit issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTree420

Reaction score
Hey everyone ...I just moved recently and it gave me a little more room to dedicate to an upgrade...now the location of the room I am using doesn't really have direct access to the outdoors (for ventilation purposes)...so I basically boxes out a flower spot in the room (Aprox 8.5'x4.5' give or take a few inches). I am using the rest of the room and closet for vegging/cloning that sort of thing. I already have a decent amount of babies in veg and the cloning is going fine...actually everything was until I test ran my flower room...so in there I am running 2 - 1000w hps, I have a 4" inline bring air in, as well as a wall mounted AC unit built in, and I have a 6" exhaust fan pulling through a carbon filter...so my first problem here is the heat...or I should say this is what I'm most concerned with. I know that's a lot of light but I thought between the AC and the fan setup I would be cooling down and exchanging air quick enough to not have this problem...wrong! First test run it got up to 120+ in there...so I thru in a floor mount AC to see if it would help and it got down to around 105...and yes the ballasts are located outside the flower Area...also from all that heat and from the exhaust on the AC unit my veg area started getting pretty hot as well...now my next thing will be to get air cooled hoods this week and see how much that will help... However I'm sure exhausting all that hot air into the other half of the room will make the veg area hot...any ideas? Also sometimes when the 2000 watts kick on it blows a fuse and I have to keep resetting...any suggestions for that also? I expanded quite a bit from myast set up so I've never had to deal with these things on such a large scale...also I am sorry if I missed anything or if I'm all over the place...I am typing from my iphone... Not ideal but no access to a comp at the moment...thanks in advance for any suggestions

Also I'm vegging with T5's and cfl's so no heat issue there...should I see if I can try to set up some kind of air exchange in the rest of the room as well as in the flower spot? That along with the air cooled hoods might take care of the heat issue on the he flower and veg sides... Any thoughts?

do you have an attic above your grow space? you need to go to an 8 inch fan for sure........ your gonna have to find somewhere besides the room exhaust your air. imo

:48:

Thank you for the reply! I originaly wanted to go with an 8" and two diff guys from two diff hydro shops talked me into using a 6"...both told me it would be more than enough... Perhaps with the air cooled hoods it might be sufficient enough...I might be able to exhaust to a diff room...though if I did some type of air exchange from the veg spot to a diff room and left the flower spot exhausting into the veg room...that was going to be what I tried next...that with the air cooled hoods might do it...it would require the least amount of re-modeling...but I'm open to any opinions here...

you absolutely need to exhaust hot air completely out of your room to the outside. by exhausting to the same room which you're intaking from means that you are recycling hot air on and on. imo it is better to move the air from veg area into flowering area then outside. i once had mother plants dying because of overheating from flowering room air and hot summer combined, i cooked my poor ladies, it was catastrophic, i changed the venting system ever since.

what kind of lights are you using bigtree?

Hello, electrician here.

First off, YES run air cooled hoods

Second, up grade that whimpy 4" intake line to a 6", exhaust with an 8" fan, yes you can reduce it down for the hoods, as long as the run is long enough.

Third, you need to hook up those lights to the 240v taps if you haven't already. This will allow you to reduce the amount of amps you're pulling on the circuit, better look to do the same with that AC unit. 2000 watts is max for a 20 amp circuit alone with all the other stuff you're trying to run.

If you need any help with electrical issues you can PM me or post them, I will give the best case scenario for power hook up and consumption.

Hello, electrician here.

First off, YES run air cooled hoods

Second, up grade that whimpy 4" intake line to a 6", exhaust with an 8" fan, yes you can reduce it down for the hoods, as long as the run is long enough.

Third, you need to hook up those lights to the 240v taps if you haven't already. This will allow you to reduce the amount of amps you're pulling on the circuit, better look to do the same with that AC unit. 2000 watts is max for a 20 amp circuit alone with all the other stuff you're trying to run.

If you need any help with electrical issues you can PM me or post them, I will give the best case scenario for power hook up and consumption.
:clap::48:

First off thank you all for the replies they have been very helpful...and lyfespan I might take you up on that offer for electric help...but back to the topic...I have had pretty much all night to think about it and these are my thoughts...obviously yes I am going to purchase the air cooled hoods this week...I will exhaust through those completely out of the room...I am then thinking of running an intake from outside if possible to the veg area...or at least create an opening to the outdoors to create a vacume intake of fresh air into the room...then the intake for the flower room can double as an exhaust for the veg room...so basically i would be intaking fresh air into the veg room, that would be exhausted out into the flower room and then exhausted out of the whole room completely...does that make sense? Any thoughts on that?

First off thank you all for the replies they have been very helpful...and lyfespan I might take you up on that offer for electric help...but back to the topic...I have had pretty much all night to think about it and these are my thoughts...obviously yes I am going to purchase the air cooled hoods this week...I will exhaust through those completely out of the room...I am then thinking of running an intake from outside if possible to the veg area...or at least create an opening to the outdoors to create a vacume intake of fresh air into the room...then the intake for the flower room can double as an exhaust for the veg room...so basically i would be intaking fresh air into the veg room, that would be exhausted out into the flower room and then exhausted out of the whole room completely...does that make sense? Any thoughts on that?

Ok, your air moving plan is going to require a total cubic footage for both rooms, this is going to determine the size of your fan and ducts, as I'm working with Hackerman on the same issue, you might want to read his threads as well.
Your idea is totally possible, but I implore anyone that is going to draw in fresh outside air to use at least some of this http://t.homedepot.com/p/True-Blue-20-in-x-30-in-x-1-in-Budget-Washable-Filter-0120301-1/202446710/ over the end of the intake duct, or build an expansion box to except a cheep air filter. Please always keep in mind that with air moving, you need to be blowing the air from the source area, fans must be as close to filters as possible as well.

yes this sounds like a better plan

what kind of lights are you using bigtree?

2 - 1000 watt hps with magnetic ballasts...they are pretty good kits...I've used the same ones with a 400hps and a 600hps for a while...I am going to upgrade to digital ballasts within the next year, however these ballasts are located out of the flower room so they aren't contributing to the heat issue...I'm going to pick up 2 air cooled hoods tomm or Wednesday and re-route the exhaust like I stated above, and put an intake into the veg room...hopefully that takes care of the heat issues...I guess it doesn't help we are also going into summer but hey...beggars can't be choosers now can we? ;)

You definitely want to pull in ffresh air from outside and then exhaust the hot, stale air back outside. Also, if you are using an AC to cool, it sounded like you had it completely inside the room where it was blowing the hot air back into the larger room, and that is no good as you aren't removing the heat, just moving it from one spot to another spot and it just re-equalizes within the same air space. Iff you want to use the AC for cooling, then it must be mounted through the wall so that the heat IT is removing will be released outside. If you can't mount the AC unit through the wall or window, then you can use the mobile AC and pipe its exhaust out of the room to the outside.

i would suggest checking to see what other electrical outlets run on the same circut breaker see whats connected to them and add up the amount of amps the draw them add the amps the 2 100 wattlights draw you need a circuit breaker that can handle all those amps together , or you can check the amps on the lights alone and run wire and and add an outlet specifically to use with your lights. not sure what they are but guessing i would say around 30 amp breaker just for your lights.as for the heat not sure but i would say get cool tubes i hear they work great

also be sure and use the proper wire gage they are listed by lyespan how cought my mistake of not posting that thanks lyfespan .

fire not good

Please DO NOT just swap the breaker out for a larger one without running the proper gauge wire.

15 amp= 14 ga
20 amp= 12 ga
30 amp= 10 ga
50 amp= 6 ga
70 amp= 4 ga
100 amp= 2 ga

Anything else = fire

Awesome guys...I will deff be contacting you lyfespan when I get to that...I have a few diff ideas as far as the air exhaust and intakes go...I'm gonna go take a look in a few and let you guys know exactly which route I'm gonna go with that...deff hafta get this flower room up and running this week...poor babies are sittin in veg just longing to go in there lol

Awesome guys...I will deff be contacting you lyfespan when I get to that...I have a few diff ideas as far as the air exhaust and intakes go...I'm gonna go take a look in a few and let you guys know exactly which route I'm gonna go with that...deff hafta get this flower room up and running this week...poor babies are sittin in veg just longing to go in there lol

I have 5 plants that have been in veg since February 24th, two were taking forever to show their sex, the others I'm cloning. I will be transplanting all 5 from 3 gal. smart pots to 7 gal. and treating with SNS 209 and 203 before they go into the sterile bloom room. I've read enough horror stories about trying to clean buds after things go wrong.

Ok so air cooled hoods are supposed to be coming in today...should I go filter fan and then lights if poss or filter lights then fan?

I have 5 plants that have been in veg since February 24th, two were taking forever to show their sex, the others I'm cloning. I will be transplanting all 5 from 3 gal. smart pots to 7 gal. and treating with SNS 209 and 203 before they go into the sterile bloom room. I've read enough horror stories about trying to clean buds after things go wrong.

SNS 209 will not kill mites if you have them--it is a preventative, not an eradicator. So, even if you give them the SNS products, do a very very good inspection of your plants before putting them in the room. Spider mites are indeed the bane of growers and if you introduce them into the room, SNS will not get rid of them. However if you don't have them, the SNS should keep them away. I don't think I will ever be without it again I ran out a while back and got spider mites). I have never used the SNS 203 as I have never had problems that required it.

How do your transplant from smaller smart pots to larger ones without damaging the roots? That is one of the downfalls I see with these as the roots grow right into the fabric don't they?

Latest posts

Back