Heat issue in my flower closet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

load3dic3

BROKE-N-TOKE TENT GROWER
Reaction score
Hey everyone, its been a few years since I've grown and this time I have two separate spaces, I have a veg tent which is 3ft w x 2ft L x 5.3ft H, which I have a 400 watt mh in that. My flower room is my concern, its 1.1ft w x 6ft L x 5.5ft H. I have a 4 in passive intake going to the crawl space, I'm running a 600 watt hps in a coolable hood and a 6in hydrofarm inline fan running out of the closet and it connects to my veg tent exhaust which goes out the window. My problem is that the heat has gotten up to 91 f, and low of 77f (lights off) i was thinking maybe putting a lil booster fan on the intake or just cutting one or two more passive intakes. any help, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated! ThxThx

What are the cfms of your Hydrofarm fan? Is it a centrifuge type exhaust fan?

I am thinking that the flowering room needs to be exhausted by itself. I think that it being connected to the veg space exhaust (how large is that exhaust fan?) is inhibiting the Hydrofarm fan. I have a 1000W that I can cool just fine with 2 passive intakes from the crawl space and a 448 cfm Vortex. Running your lights at night will help with heat problems.

Is portable a/c a financial option? You have a lot of heat to deal with. Maybe window a/c in the room with closet and intake your flower room air from that room. That's what I do and I'm getting 80s when it's high 90s outside.

How do you have the 2 exhausts connected?

The cfms for the fan in the flower room is 400 cfms and all I know is that it said active air inline fan. The veg fan is a hurricane 4in with 171 cfms, but I only have the exhaust from flower going into the veg exhaust right before it goes out the window... Im probably gonna have to make another 4in passive intake in the closet. Should I put the second intake next to the first or on opposite sides? And right now I really can't afford a portable AC right now.

yes its better to put the intake vents on one side of your tent and exhaust on other side intake passive vents should be low and exhaust vents high as heat rises try to get the intake exhaust in middle of tent below lights and slightly above plants so even if temps are high the area between lights and plants temps will exhaust first giving canvas area faster cooling and air movement

Without any baffles, This is my guess at what is happening: I believe that the larger is ending up blowing in both directions--out the window and backwards toward the veggy space--the force of the fan from the vegging space fighting against the larger exhaust ends up resulting in loss of power from the larger fan and is keep all the hot air from going out the window. I would disconnect the vegging ducting (seal the tee well where you take the veggy ducting off so you have no air loss) and see how your exhaust fan does without the veggy ventilation being tied to it.

Just my 2 cents.

replace your ducting with insulated.

1 fan per light. 1 outlet per fan. Dont run them in-line.

wall mount or bigger, those tiny fans wont cut it.

77 deg is 1 deg below your highest optimal temp. pull cold air from elsewhere.

Swap the 400w in veg for flouros. problem solved. if your flower room is tiny, you dont need big plants under hid lightning.

replace your ducting with insulated.

1 fan per light. 1 outlet per fan. Dont run them in-line.

wall mount or bigger, those tiny fans wont cut it.

77 deg is 1 deg below your highest optimal temp. pull cold air from elsewhere.

Swap the 400w in veg for flouros. problem solved. if your flower room is tiny, you dont need big plants under hid lightning.

You said everything I would have, tiny flower room!

I am having nothing but heat issues with the SolarStorm 800 and my 4x4 tent. Wanting to follow this thread. thx!

Bob: Are you ventilating your space? Lights generate heat and the plants use up the available CO2 around them. Proper ventilation removes this heat and allows you to pull fresh, cooler air that is CO2 replenished back into the space. :)

How do i break it to Mr rb that he needs a hole in his shed floor. I gotta have some fresh air in there now. It is 93 in the shed and 105 outside. I just flipped today, before now i had the doors wide open at night. can't do that. ..... Summer is a hard time for indoor.

Funny rb I'm going to cut another vent in my room, it's 105 here today and I swear I heard 120 this weekend on the radio.

venting..
the main fan out is venting into the room.. a little worried about venting out the window as I have LEO directly behind me, and to one of the sides.. and they are DH's...

Thought about venting into the attic but read somewhere that it isn't good for the attic??

Tonight I spliced into central ac so will see how that goes.

This is my 2nd time.. 1st time all was great but there was snow outside. Now scorching...

Bob: Are you ventilating your space? Lights generate heat and the plants use up the available CO2 around them. Proper ventilation removes this heat and allows you to pull fresh, cooler air that is CO2 replenished back into the space. :)

I vented into the attic for years. Even have an attic fan to blow it out of the attic... It worked. My driveway always smelled like pot though.

There are 2 keys for venting. One is to be able to remove the old heated air from the grow area, and 2 is to pull in "fresh, cool" air to the grow area. If there are people and/or pets that are continuing to produce CO2 within your house, and you house is kept at a decent temp (mid 70s) then you can vent into the other parts of the house and then draw back in ffrom the house. But you don't want to vent into the same room from which you are drawing your "fresh air". I would either set up within the attic, a connection to another part of the house so that you can vent away from the room where the grow is currently (so that it pulls fresh air through the house that is cooler), or filter the exhaust air and blow into the attic, making sure that the air will exhaust from the attic properly so that moisture doesn't build up. But then also draw in air from outside, into the room in which the grow sits, allowing it to circulate and mix with the room and/or house air to be cooled and dried before it gets pulled into the grow space.

I wouldn't recommend tying it into the central HVAC for the house as that could lead to issues as well. I personally would get a small window unit for the room and then draw in air from outside(or from within the larger part of the house if there are enough oxygen breathers present) close to the intake of the AC unit. That would allow it to cool and dry out the air to maintain a nice temp/rh atmosphere.

@Hush... Some parts of the country have extreme weather. In NC where I used to live, it was very often high 80's to 90's and HUMID.

In a case like that, would you still recommend bringing air in from the outside?

I know what you are talking about as I live in North Carolina. The answer to your question is not so simple. As you said, the heat and levels of humidity make it challenging in the summer. In fact, ffor the last several days here the humidity has stayed above 70%. We just got 3" of rain yesterday. My pool is overflowing at the moment. :eek:

The source from which to pull air really is a matter of several things. Ideally, iff you have a place where you can completely contain your airspace, you can (if you have the money) set up a recirculating system that includes a propane burner that produces CO2, and a cooling system to maintain proper temps, then a good odor filtration system to scrub the air so that odors don't build up. If you can do this then you are in excellent position to not have to worry about getting outside air.

However, for small grows such as personal "closet" or "tent" grows, that level of contained, controlled atmosphere is costly, and is difficult to maintain/balance unless there is ample space for the exchanges to be set up. At that point, you have to weigh your options and look closely at what you have available versus your needs.

If you have a closet/tent grow that is only 10sqft max, you have good HVAC in your home, and you have several oxygen breathers like multiple people and/or pets present almost continuously, then you can just filter and cycle the air within your home and allow your HVAC to maintain the air temps and humidity levels, while the air breathers cycle the O2 for CO2.

If you are by yourself in a home with no pets to exchange the O2 for CO2 then you will have to pull in air from the outside. Iff you have high humidity then you have to install a dehumidifier/air conditioner within the air space that is adjacent to the grow so that the air can be modiffied before going into the grow space (at least during flowering).

I live off the grid so to speak in a camper. ( a 40 ft. 5th wheel) My electricity comes from solar panels and I am forced to live without air conditioning due to my power limitations. Right now in my grow closet it is 91 deg. By the middle of august it will be over 100 most days. I live on the east coast & it averages 90 for a good portion of july & aug. My plants have always survived just fine but I do keep a fan moving fresh air on them 24 hours a day.

Latest posts

Back