Heat Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickFoster

Reaction score
2 - 600w HPS with air cooled reflectors

449cfm vortex fan - fan is in attic - straight ducting from the lights through the ceiling and out a carbon filter

2'6" x 7' x 8' space (140 cubic feet)

Intake is passive - 6" diameter hole - outside room temp 76 degrees

Fan blowing over the tops of the plants

My problem is I can't seem to get the temp below 90 degrees - the temp on the floor below the lights is around 90 - the temp above the lights is 85 degrees. Do I need a larger intake? Any help is appreciated.

Id say make that passive a bit more efficent and stick a fan in it. Also you may want to look at the kind of thermometer your using to gauge the temps, if its an old style mercury thermo it will read hotter when in direct light.

MickFoster said:
449cfm vortex fan - fan is in attic - straight ducting from the lights through the ceiling and out a carbon filter

Does your exhaust exit thru the carbon filter? Meaning, is the air being pushed rather than pulled thru the filter?
If so, that might be some of the problem.

I've got a similar setup but with 1 600 in a 5x5x7 tent and it's set up so the air enters the filter first, then vents thru the light, then up into the attic and thru the fan. The air in the tent is usually about 2 degrees warmer than the rest of the room if I leave it sealed and don't peek in too often:D

Hope that helps

Dr. Manny makes a good point.

I have mine, Carbon Filter -> Inline Fan -> Vent -> Light -> Vent -> Exit.

Also, I agree, maybe a small fan for the intake. Even a computer case fan.

Good luck.

open up your intake to no greater than double your exhaust. i would some how make a damper so you can adjust so that you have a nice pull from outside your room. nice to have a negative pressure inside so no stank escapes.:hubba:also my setup is scrubber>fan>duct>cool tube>duct>exit

just dawned on me ur reflectors do they have glass in them. cause i know you can get air cooled but the glass is extra. if no glass definately get it. just measure & go get tempered glass cut to fit should cost no more than $30 for both. also is everything running inline or do you have a wye fitting running from lights to fan. if have wye each side of the wye must be symmetrical or you will be pulling from 1 side more than the other. even worse would 2b running a tee fitting in there which anything running off the branch side of the tee would require a damper to balance the system. sorry long winded but trying to help. pics probably would have shut me up a long time ago

docfish made a good point. Do the reflectors have the tempered glass? If not, definitely get them and that will help much more. I agree with the above posters also. Maybe get a fan for your passive intake. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

For proper neg pressuer in a cab your intake should be 11/2 times the size of your exhaust.Example a 6" exhaust should have a 9" intake.Good luck,hope you get them temps down.PS if you have a 6" hole for intake just make a 3" one beside it.

if you got to much heat- up the ventilation and make sure its sucking hot air out and not getting back in. if that doesnt work well enough- add co2 or cooling.

Latest posts

Back