Heat mat question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
I bought a heat mat for my small greenhouse tray in hopes to bring up the temp in the little house to 77 F which I’ve read was the best temp or the baby seedlings. I noticed there is no thermostat on the mat to adjust the heat which when plugged with my tray sitting directly on top of the mat brings the temp up to at least over 80F before I unplugged it. Would it be safe to put a towel between the mat and the tray to try to manually adjust the temp in the house? Or should I be using a different method. My house is not warm enough to get the 77 inside the little house on it’s own without turning up the house heat which is out of the question after looking at our last gas bill. The temp in the house with the light gets between 68-74 during the day/night. I didn’t use the mat last grow and my plants did fine but was trying to fine tune it a bit more this grow. Wish I would have known about the thermostat thing before I purchased it. It was about 30 bucks. Any suggestions besides a new mat with a thermostat to adjust the temp in the greenhouse a bit higher? My seeds are starting to pop and I already have a few in the plugs that should be popping out of the plugs any day now. Want to be as kind to them as possible. I used this same little house with my last seed grow with good success.
468AE547-B9AD-4ED9-B495-B8ED90740C6C.jpeg
C06F22ED-3789-4FD2-8E38-ED34EFFDDF8C.jpeg

Heat mats are made to keep roots at 80f. I have two running right now. I love them.
So is 80f good for the seedlings to grow until transplant? Do you set your trays directly on the mat or on a towel or something between the mat and the tray

yes use a towel or some ceramic plates or anything to keep the tray off the mat

you will have to monitor the temps and either put more towels or thinner ones or whatever to get a mean temp of 75-80

or just buy the thermostat..😃😃😃

yes use a towel or some ceramic plates or anything to keep the tray off the mat

you will have to monitor the temps and either put more towels or thinner ones or whatever to get a mean temp of 75-80

or just buy the thermostat..😃😃😃
The things is 19.99 on sale now LOL

Only one layer on the towel...you could start a fire. I personally use a pizza pan.
I have a pan that will fit. I don’t want any fire that’s for sure. Just trying to bring the temp up in the little house a few degrees and sitting right on top of the mat is a bit hot. To cheap to invest in rostermans 19.95 sale right now 😊

I have a laser thermometer I used to take temps of switch gear connections tosee if they were heating up .Now I use it to take soil temp .seedling temp.

I have a pan that will fit. I don’t want any fire that’s for sure. Just trying to bring the temp up in the little house a few degrees and sitting right on top of the mat is a bit hot. To cheap to invest in rostermans 19.95 sale right now 😊
its such a deal !

I’m gonna try the towel thing. Thanx big

hot pads or pot holders work pretty good

another fun toy to put on your wish list , digital temperature gun

my favorite use is when growing indoors and I wonder if my plant is to close to the lights so I take a few readings on the leaves that are the closest to the light

i also checked my heating pad and there are cool and hot spots on it , the heatings pads are not very consistent in even temps

01D2059B-4E0B-458C-88BD-4425FCC890B1.jpeg

Latest posts

Back