Heat shields

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treebeard

Reaction score
Hello, Im having some problems with heat in my grow room. Ive got a 400w hps a bit over 1ft away from my plants and the temp is getting as high as 35c. I have two 6"desk fans blowing directly on the plants and a extractor fan positioned at the highest point in the room. I noticed these, http://www.growell.co.uk/p/0882/Heat-Shield-Super-Spreader.html, and wondered if anyone knows how well they work?? Or if anyone has any other suggestions? thanks :D

Looks like it could help if you cant raise your light anymore.
Interesting find Offspring_36.

Is that a sheet of plexiglass?Or some other type of plastic?A DIY seems possible..hehe

only real option is a vented reflector lamp.

how do I know?? im in the same situation.

I have exhaust vent out, vent in from cooler room, and
2 fans on HIGH and temps in my grow room is high.. gets up to 95F.

I plan on buying a vented light hood for the next grow.

goodluck

Hello, Thanks for the replies. The vented reflector was the other option i was considering, but the price difference between that and the heat shield is pretty big. My only worry with the heat shield is how much light is lost, because i guess a certain amount must be lost. If i decide to buy the heat shield i will let everyone know how well it works:) Thanks again

you try pointing one or your fans directly at the light yet??

it can help

I used to fill 2 buckets 3/4 full of water and freeze it, put them in the grow room and it lowers the temp by 5c, thats just a quick fix though, at the end of the day its caused by lack of heat extraction from the grow room.

Hippy

Hey, yea i have one fan on the light and one on the plants. the one on the light blows directly towards the extraction fan. I think part of my trouble is the room im using is a sort of attic. Ive ordered one of these heat shields, im hoping its gonna work

well just to let anyone know who was interested. I bought one of these (http://www.growell.co.uk/p/0882/Heat...-Spreader.html) heat shields and as far as i can tell it does work. The temperature on the plants dropped roughly 2-3 degrees C after putting this under the bulb and visibly there doesn't seem to be much light lost, i was also able to lower the lamp by a few inches. I couldn't find any detailed information on how much light it lost in using one of these. But i think that a better alternative to this would be to have good enough ventilation in the room so it doesn't get too hot in the first place, but im no expert.

Latest posts

Back