Heat Shock and Seedling Germination Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeschampion

Reaction score
New grower here making all newbie mistakes, first one fried 8 of ten of my seeds. I made the mistake of planting non-autos late in season that I plan to grow outside. Also, germinated more seeds in paper towels and left them in too long, resulting in curly long tap roots that I gently crammed into the holes with tweezers instead of slicing open the pod and laying them inside. Now I have live sprouts in serious trouble, no idea how to save these girls. The two survivors are one fem non auto girl scout cookie extreme and one bergman's gold leaf. These two were planted June 3rd. The seedlings are skittlez. I am using Mars hydro 600w light 2 feet from seedlings. I have only growth mode turned on, 18/6. I am using coco buffered in cal mag, and Megacrop as my only other nutrient. Will I be able to move the heat shocked survivors outside? The tent is still too hot, 80 degrees average with 50% humidity. I only have room for 4 plants in the tent, should I leave the two survivors in there instead of moving outside? I am in Cali with unlimited outside grow room. How can a non lumberjack cool down a grow room? I have a carbon filter fan and an infinity inline fan I haven't installed yet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on what to do to save Roberta (the gold leaf) and Toyon (the gsc extreme), not to mention their Skittle cousins!

Attachments

• skittlez.jpg
    skittlez.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 17
  • roberta.jpg
    roberta.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 18
  • toyon.jpg
    toyon.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 19
  • seedlings.jpg
    seedlings.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 20
That temperature and humidity level should be just fine for them. You should definitely have a small fan blowing on them though if you don't, enough of a breeze to keep leaves fluttering. They benefit from the airflow and it helps strengthen them. Those little curly's can still be planted just fine, just be sure not to break the taproot when you do and if the tops are out of the seed shell be sure they don't get buried. Personally, I always go right to soil with seedlings and save those things for cloning.
For years I did paper towel germination and I had pretty decent success, (better earlier on for some strange reason), but not long ago I switched to direct sow, just putting the seed directly into the soil, (about 2-3x as deep as the length of the seed, although I think I usually end up deeper), and it is working much better for me. Now that I've switched, I can't imagine what I was thinking before.
From the pictures, it doesn't look like anything's in too much trouble, unless you still have sprouts unplanted.
Good luck!

Thanks so much! This helps a lot. I have to agree I will definitely try the direct soil method of sowing next time. It seems often the more natural way is a better way. You obviously have had a ton of success, thrilled you answered my post! Thanks so much for your kindness.

Happy to help if I'm able. I've had some success but, I've also had a lot of failures. We typically learn more from our failures than successes, so I wouldn't change anything...at this point, at the time I thought they'd drive me crazy. lol

Latest posts

Back