Heaters for small grow tents??

T_Dub

Reaction score
That split system AC sounds cool, but it’s more than I can spend on growing. Great solution though.
While we’re not in the true coldest temps yet, I tested OldFogey’s idea last night when temps dropped to 68. I set the oil-filled radiant heater to turn on when temperatures fell below 72. I placed the heater in front of the intake port, and I run my fan at a speed of 1-2 at night so it’s always drawing in fresh air. It works…..but it’s probably inefficient kicking that space heater on and off. I didn’t test it for long, and I just didn’t feel safe leaving the space heater unattended.

A017C07C-F7B7-4AFC-BC2E-D234635964B9.jpeg

After more research though I’ve decided to experiment with using a large heat mat as my heat source. It’s a constant 80-87 degree temperature, so nothing too hot. It will turn on if temperatures drop below 72 degrees. I am in a 2x4 tent and I found a mat that is 20”x 48”. My plants sit in saucers and I use plant elevators that raise them about 2 inches, so I don’t expect to cook the roots with the heat mat since there is airflow under the rootball. I also have a small fan on the floor moving air around 24/7, so the heat should be dispersed quickly. If this works, I’ll update for anyone else looking for safe heating solutions.

I could also lift the saucers off the ground with lifts if there’s concern about the roots becoming too hot.
2554A605-1924-43D4-A1A6-FB2169BBEEF6.jpeg

Thanks again for the great ideas….

Attachments

• 9271B527-9B9E-41DF-B117-1F604D4DF87A.jpeg
    9271B527-9B9E-41DF-B117-1F604D4DF87A.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0

KGBSkunky

Reaction score
Being someone who has not done this but has been researching I find this interesting since I will definitely be using a grow tent in my basement. The way I see it, based on what you are saying, I should grow autos when it’s cold so I can put some kind of heating lamp in the tent. The heating arrangement wouldn’t bother an auto from what I can tell. Just a thought

Or

You could buy an inexpensive 4 inch duct heater and feed it through the bottom of your tent. I find this interesting and think I will build a 4 inch duct heater into my tent layout controlled by a thermostat in the tent. I believe they are like $30-$40

T_Dub

Reaction score
Being someone who has not done this but has been researching I find this interesting since I will definitely be using a grow tent in my basement. The way I see it, based on what you are saying, I should grow autos when it’s cold so I can put some kind of heating lamp in the tent. The heating arrangement wouldn’t bother an auto from what I can tell. Just a thought

Or

You could buy an inexpensive 4 inch duct heater and feed it through the bottom of your tent. I find this interesting and think I will build a 4 inch duct heater into my tent layout controlled by a thermostat in the tent. I believe they are like $30-$40

I tried a 2x4 heat mat in the bottom of my 2x4 tent and it didn’t make a dent in the temperature. I have a small ceramic heater on order for the 2x2 tent…..might try it in the 2x4 tent too. It’s 250 watts (very low wattage for a heater) and doesn’t get too hot to the touch. I’ll let you know if it’s enough to raise the tent temperature.

D9916ABA-B3CD-405F-8A3B-5494A26990B0.jpeg

Dan789

Reaction score
It's been a minute, sorry for the long lapse, but hey I'm jumping in on this: I use thermo controlled matts under neath the plants, and outside of the tent use a timer and thermo controlled oil filled radiant heater for when the lights are out. Granted I'm not in a very cold area but that's my $02.

Latest posts