Heavy marijuana use may affect dopamine response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/heavy-marijuana-use-may-affect-dopamine-response

Heavy marijuana use may affect dopamine response

People who regularly smoke five joints a day had dampened reactions to the chemical messenger.

People who use marijuana heavily appear to have blunted brain responses to dopamine, a chemical messenger associated with pleasant feelings, motivation and reward. This diminished response might help explain why some people abuse cannabis, scientists write July 14 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Nora Volkow, director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse in Rockville, Md., and colleagues tested brain and body responses of 24 heavy marijuana users. On average, these people smoked nearly five joints a day, five days a week and had been using marijuana for a decade.

These marijuana users had weaker responses to the stimulant methylphenidate, which is used to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, than nonusers, the team found. Users reported a less intense “high” from methylphenidate, which increases dopamine in the brain. Bodily responses were also blunted: In users, the stimulant didn’t affect pulse rate and diastolic blood pressure as strongly. The dampened dopamine response might lead to marijuana cravings, researchers write.

Citations

N. D. Volkow et al. Decreased dopamine brain reactivity in marijuana abusers is associated with negative emotionality and addiction severity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Published online July 14, 2014. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1411228111.

Further Reading

L. Sanders. High Times: Legalization trend forces review of marijuana’s dangers. Science News. Vol. 185, June 14, 2014, p. 16.

LOL--I always love it when people who are against mmj draw weird conclusions from weirder studies--"Decreased dopamine brain reactivity in marijuana abusers is associated with negative emotionality and addiction severity...":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: All that because they do not respond like the researchers think they should to a pharmaceutical with tons of side effects?

All the "marijuana abusers" that I know (and I apparently know a lot of them if 5 joints a day 5 days a week constitutes an abuser) do NOT suffer from negative emotionality and I have never seen marijuana contribute to "addictive severity" ( whatever in the...that even means). Marijuana can help others with actual addictions that are truly harmful like opiates, alcohol, and tobacco.

yeah, and the one they were tryin to get those guys hooked on too. hahahah and that Nora Volkow is a real winner. shes trying to come up with a drug that will make it so no one can get high on anything, not even sugar or coffee. no stimulation at all. a drug to win the drug war. yeah i trust her....ok, i'm done now. lol

I really wish people would be more open minded......how you going to learn anything if you are not interested in reading or doing research yourself? What's that old saying " only an idiot thinks he knows it all".....lol Read the info...find out who funded the study and only then make your own decisions on what you believe....People will refuse to believe Proven fact..If it doesnt "JIVE" with their belief system.....:)

I cover every aspect of cannabis. Pro and Con.

qui legit caveat....

Pavlow's dog happy at last ...no more dribbling at each signal ...?

I just wish i could figure out if this would help or hinder parkinsons disease.

Latest posts

Back