Height Concerns, what to do ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Mother 40

Reaction score
Growing her in a 20 gal. tub with a mix of native soil and Kellog's Blue Ribbon blend. She gets a weekly feeding of Gro-Power and is pushing like crazy. I am concerned she is going to far exceed my fence line and present some security issues. I am considering topping her across all the colas in an attempt to keep her a bit shorter and provide her lots of bamboo support poles when she flowers. I am somewhat new at this so any ideas or comments would be appreciated. Thanks !!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4010.JPG
    IMG_4010.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 22
DON'T TOP YOUR PLANT---after a good watering you are able to gently bend the tall branches over---even if the branch folds over it will continue to grow---another option could be to lean it sideways onto a brick or 2--- growing it sideways like a hedge---you could put it upright to water and lay it back down in the same exact position---the branches will adjust upward on their own

Orangesunshine,
Assuming I began to pull her branches to grow horizontally what method would you use to support the flowering colas as they grow upright from a horizontal branch ?

let's cross that heavy cola support road when you come to it---it was my understanding you are dealing with a height issue right now---bending branches---lying the pot down to grow a hedge---growing sideways like a grape vine---or loosely tying a collar line to a branch with a rock on the other end will keep your height down---when the plant begins to flower---the upright growth will slow considerably---then you might consider using all those bamboo stakes you mentioned to hold up heavy colas

don't freak out if a branch snaps when you are slowly bending it---you can mend it very quickly with a splint---i like zip ties---some use duct tape

I have completed pulling the main branches down using twine secured to the edges of my tub. They are nearly horizontal to the cement patio I grow on and extend a good distance out from the tub. I grew this same variety last year and the flowers were massive and heavy in late October. As I am growing over concrete I will only have the soil in the tub to secure bamboo poles into so I am going to engineer some type of additional horizontal support system to keep the colas from snapping off in wind, rain, etc. Thanks for the advice!

you bet---your welcome---flipping a tomato cage upside down---weight on the cage on the patio to hold it in place---you got cola support outside the perimeter of the tub---no bamboo staking---more air flow inside the plant = less issues

I was thinking using 1/2 inch pvc to create a T bar frames over the horizontal branches. Single vertical poles into the tub and the support pieces "T"ing off the vertical pole outward above the heavy branches. Plant material could then be tied to the support pole extending above. Still in the design mode as I have some time till bloom.

Latest posts

Back