Height question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BreakDown2k

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been lurking around for a while reading and learning and i'm toying with the idea of starting my first grow, but i wanted to grow something with an uplifting high mainly because the only thing i can get hold of is indica bud. What i was wondering is roughly how much room height wise would i need to grow a nice sativa(possibly purple power) to get decent amount of bud as i have fairly limited space, i'm talking not just for a plant i mean to box the whole thing off and to fit a 400w hps in there.
I'm just after a rough idea so that i can check height issues and so i know how big my new cupboard has to be ;)

Thanks in advance,
break

Define "a decent amount of bud". What space you are thinking about... soil or hydro?

Hey BreakDown2k, your ceilings must be 8 foot. If you box in all the way to the ceiling, you'll thank yourself many times later.

Is there some reason you can't use all the way up to the ceiling?

It would be a soil grow and somewhere near an ounce would be worth my time/money doing it, as once i have a female i'd like to have 2 clones going continuously so I have an decent supply of smoke, because smoking indica during the day just seems to make me lazy :cool: I wanted something to smoke that isn't going to knock me to sleep.
As for space i'm going to be re-modeling my attic and it looks like it needs a nice cabinet (vegging) and a wardrobe (flowering), the reason im asking about height is because my roof slants ^ so i'd have to find a corner to put it in so it hides all the wires/fans and stuff so it wouldn't look out of place to anyone looking in.

Attic grows are heat prone. Do you have a plan for dealing with the heat generated by your light, added to that of the heat in the highest point in your house? Is your attic insulated? Air-conditioned?

Attic is insulated(fiberglass), with no air conditioning. My attic is usually freezing, so i didn't really think heat would be that big of an issue. Also any ventilation ideas would be grateful as i don't really know a way of doing it without a bit of surgery on the outside of the house(soffit vents), I know its not a lot, but i was trying to keep it as tidy as i could so nothing would look out of place same for the inside, i need it to look like a normal bedroom so all the vent ducting would have to be hidden real well if i was to go that way.

Anyhoo my first attempt will be more of a trial run, sort of a build up to the clones, so i don't really mind how it goes so long as I am learning and improving without getting caught ;)

I'm not familiar with Englands weather and have no idea what you experience in your location. The summertime weather is the heat problem in most climates.

Making a totally innocent looking and smelling grow is very difficult and can add a lot of cost to your setup.

Sound proofing for the fans and filters is one thing. If someone can enter the room and hear the fans running inside your cabinet, what would you say is going on there? I'm keeping my dishes cool? I'm keeping my linens fresh? Hhahahahaha. Kids also put their ears against things like that just to see if they can hear anything. Even the most sophisticated sound proofing has it's limits.

The best way to to restrict entry to that room. Lock it and only allow those who are allowed to see the grow to enter it.

The secret agent stuff is hard to realistically do in a home if people who are naturally curious like kids, are allowed in the same room with a grow. It's kind of like someone trying to sneak a smoke. Everyone knows exactly what he's doing. He fools only himself.

Good luck man! I hope you can figure out which way you want to go with this.

If you want a totally secret grow op, you'll have to pull out that wallet. That type of setup is expensive. It can be done, but it's not cheap. I've helped setup several of these, I know what I'm talking about.

The whole thing gets ruined when one of the kids blatantly asks "Hey Dad, why did you lock us out of the attic when you were building that secret cabinet and all those filter things?" in front of the neighbor. hhahaahahaha

free and easy ways to keep a grow stealth is run your lights while you sleep and ****.. i have my grow box which is 2X3X6 looks jsut like a cabnit to hang jackets.. i have it set up so if someone is on the way over and sound will be trouble i can jsut take my exhuast fan off no problem and with lights running on off hours ( during the night) its no big deal if the exhuast fan isnt running while thelights are off.. and no one would be teh wiser and its freakin cheap and easy to build..

i grew two nice sizes AK47 in that space.. there both roughly 3ft high with tones oh bud on them.. and temps where never an issue..

Thanks for all the info everyone, i guess I'll do a little bit more digging and see if we can find some way to cut a few corners on the cost side of things. I'm still deeply intrigued with the growing of mj, although i wasn't really hoping to be shelling out major money but maybe it'll be worth it in the end. :rolleyes:

And yeah stoney, kids are a nightmare :D

There are ways you can make fans quiet.

look here:

http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/1694.htm

(Overgrow's complete faq is here: http://www.drugs-forum.com/growfaq/GrowFAQ Basic Topics.htm

Plants like music. Perhaps a radio (on a timer synchronized to light and fan operation) could be attached to the cabinet. Daddys like music too.

and
I have had indicas that were not couchlock. Some were very good for mornings. This issue deserves your research.

and another note, if it helps with the heighth question; a 400 HPS generally needs to be 4.6dm (18") above the plant tops

Hey

I'm also from the UK, making a 3 foot box to look like a cupboard, using PC fans (no issue of sound cause i have my computer up there too so.. "whats that sound?" "computer")

12/12 lighting on in the day by timer, and planting an AK in soil.

With a slow drip system made out of an old cola bottle some rubber tubing and a valve from a camping kit.

And it will all live in my attic.

So I'll show you mine if you show me yours :D

Latest posts

Back