Advertise On Marijuana Passion

Hello and quick questions

BoCoGrow

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been lurking on the site for awhile now, thanks so much for all of the info you share, the site has been super helpful!

Once I have my grow area all setup, I'll be growing from seed under a E680 LED light. Medium is 80% coco and 20% perlite in 3 gallon fabric pots. Questions: (1) After planting the seed, how far above the pot should I hang my light, and (2) the light has dimming options of 80%, 60%, and 40%...which setting is best to use during germination and seedling stages? I guess a 3rd question is once the plant is in veg, can I switch the light to 100%?

Thanks,
BoCoGrow

Last edited by a moderator:

putembk

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome BoCoGrow, you will find lots of help on here. Is this your first time at growing. If so, it looks like you are off to a good start. I grow under HPS lights so I won't comment on LED's. But, someone will be more that willing to jump in and help. Good luck and good growing.

RonnieB

Reaction score
I would start a seedlings at 20 inches..Heres a quote from the manufacturer The manufacturer recommends this grow light for a 4'x4' or 5'x5' grow space hanging at a distance of at least 8” above the canopy. 12-18” above the canopy may be better if using in the larger grow space or if the plants are in the vegetation stage. I personally will be using this grow light in a 4'x4' grow space.

RonnieB

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback! Yes, I will be using this light in a 4' x 4' grow space as well.
Start at 20. If after a few days the sprout looks long and skinny, that means the light is too far away. The key when setting lights is patience. It may take a few days before you see any results. If the seedling doesn't stretch, lower the light to 18, if it gets bushy and leafy more than getting taller, you're in the sweet spot. Continue to slowly lower it until you have the best coverage for all your plants. Light burn usually starts slowly with the tip of the leaves curling up and browning.

BoCoGrow

Reaction score
Thanks, RonnieB. Do you have any feedback about dimming during germination, seedline, and veg? The light documentation didn't provide any recommendations one way or another. Cheers!

RonnieB

Reaction score
If growing in a confined space i keep the settings for growth low. You dont want to grow bushes and trees with millions of leaves. I keep just enough light to keep it green and healthy then crank up the budding spectrum the minute you see pistils forming. This is for autos but would work with photos as well.

RonnieB

Reaction score
I learned this the hard way. I would leave my lights set to help with plant growth at optimal levels and defoiliation was a *****. Then a friend taught me this way and its helped a lot

RonnieB

Reaction score
Set the growing settings high at first. To get your plants started. Then cut back the spectrum that makes leaves and plant taller. Autos start flowering around week 4. Thats when i change the spectrum towards flowering

BoCoGrow

Reaction score
I appreciate all the feedback, RonnieB, thanks! My light is full spectrum and only has a dimming function, I can't increase/decrease the veg or flower spectrums.

I'll be starting with autos (strains I have on hand include Bloody Skunk, Crystal Candy, Smoothie, Magnum (free seed), Amnesia (free seed), Gorilla Glue, Bruce Banner, and Girl Scout Cookies Extreme) but I also have 2 photo strains as well (G13 and Girl Scout Cookies x Jack Herer). I'm starting out with fabric pots, but I also have a 6 pot ebb and flow system that I'm looking forward to trying out at some point. I might do a side by side comparison using 3 fabric pots and 3 hydro pots and see how strains compare in each of the mediums.

RonnieB

Reaction score
I would research each strain and see if it likes heavy feeding or is nutrient sensitive. Each strain could possibly, but unlikely, need different treatment. My Mephisto plant that was burned got the exact nutrients that the other plants get every 3 days and they thrive yet it burned my Mephisto plant. If you don't have it, buy some silica too. You'll thank me

RonnieB

Reaction score
Silica makes nodes closer together, limbs stronger but most importantly it prevents stressful events from effecting the plant. Things like ph swings, hst, lst, over feeding, etc. I will not start a grow without it v

BoCoGrow

Reaction score
Thanks again, RonnieB. When do you start applying the silica, as soon as the seed sprouts or do you wait until it has grown a bit?

RonnieB

Reaction score
I start immediately. I use RAW NPK Powder silica. 1/16 tsp per gallon for 2 weeks then 1/4 tsp

RonnieB

Reaction score
I have a botany degree from Clemson University. Im new to growing cannabis but understand the science of gardening. Root care is paramount over everything else. 98% of my supplements are for roots. Humic acid, Root Excelurator, aminos, many different types of bacteria and enzymes

RonnieB

Reaction score
You get and maintain a thriving root system and everything else will fall into place.

Latest posts