Hello Peeps - new here - thought I'd say hello

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering about something...

When you put soilless mixture into pots, do you first wet it?

Or leave it dry?

Hello, I don't know. I just use Roots Organics soil.

Promix should be broken up and slightly dampened just before potting, but definitely not soaking wet. Just enough to break the hydrophobic quality of the mix as shipped. And don't wet it too far in advance of when you're actually going to use it.

Yup! Coco, when dried, also becomes a bit hydrophobic and likes a bit of coaxing to start absorbing water normally. Also, if it's not labelled as ready to use, it might need preconditioning and that varies wildly by brand. The bricked stuff especially can carry salts with it if not soaked and rinsed before use. But the Mother Earth brand of coco granules (heavenly!!!! Like a fluffy pillow!) are ready to go. And there's a whole scale in between... Coco can make ya feel cuckoo lol but I do enjoy it.

Are those the ones that you fill the bottom and let the water soak up into the plants? If that's what you're talking about, be verrrrry wary. The problems can range from fungus gnats to root rot to soil souring to anoxic conditions. It's healthy to water from the top and every so often give them a really good drench to the point of runoff which will help dissolve and carry away buildup of excess fertilizer that the plant hasn't used, before it causes problems. The wet-dry cycle is important to cannabis, whose roots thrive on oxygen in the soil, and need the dry period to give the soil time to reabsorb atmospheric oxygen for use.

Are those the ones that you fill the bottom and let the water soak up into the plants? If that's what you're talking about, be verrrrry wary. The problems can range from fungus gnats to root rot to soil souring to anoxic conditions. It's healthy to water from the top and every so often give them a really good drench to the point of runoff which will help dissolve and carry away buildup of excess fertilizer that the plant hasn't used, before it causes problems. The wet-dry cycle is important to cannabis, whose roots thrive on oxygen in the soil, and need the dry period to give the soil time to reabsorb atmospheric oxygen for use.
Absolutely agreed! Parameters shift a bit every grow according to indoor conditions> I've found that "keeping it dry" during veg and then a gallon "drench" with reverse osmosis water towards the end about day 45-50 and finish with a completely dry pot really enhances quality on every level. After day 50 and final one gallon RO drench, no more than one cup of water poured directly at base of stalk until desired level of brown trichs appear. That's what worked for me more than once, more "Bro-Science"!

Thanks for the reply.

The auto pots I was thinking about are gravity fed and use a valve to determine when the plants are watered. I have a couple of them, but I don't think I'll use them for my first 'serious' grow. I suspect a human is better at determining when a plant should be watered, so I'll give them a miss at least for this grow.

Thanks people. Nice friendly bunch here. I wish all the best when growing.

Anyone here using bubblers?

Latest posts

Back