hello :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblegum44

Reaction score
hey everyone i have just started my own grow box which is 2.5 feet long 1.5 feet wide and 3.5 feet tall, i currently have three plants in there and using 3 100w cfl lights, i was wondering what type of fans i would need and the quantity?

bubblegum44 said:
hey everyone i have just started my own grow box which is 2.5 feet long 1.5 feet wide and 3.5 feet tall, i currently have three plants in there and using 3 100w cfl lights, i was wondering what type of fans i would need and the quantity?

Welcome to the site bubblegum44! Wow......I could write you a novel right now, but what it comes down to is how much you want to spend and how serious you are.

First off a few questions:
-Where did you get your plants from? Do you know the sex of these plants yet?

-Are you willing/capable of using more lights? Three, 100watt (I assume you mean they are 100 watt replacements so actually only like 25 watt) CFL's is not going to give you a lot of light. I would recommend using more CFL's or for even better results try a 250 watt HPS light for a box that size.

-What is the K rating on your CFL's?

-Smell. Unless you don't have a problem with your house/apartment/whatever smelling like a dead skunk you are going to need a carbon filter and inline fan. Other than that one small fan should be fine for blowing air over your plants.

-Box Size. Is there a reason your box is that particular size? If you are not limited in size I would go a bit bigger (of course that is going to require even more light)

-Don't let anyone fool you it takes patience, reading, experience, and a surprising amount of cash before you can produce something decent. But it is totally worth the effort and it only gets better over time.

-SSF-

SensiStarFan said:
Welcome to the site bubblegum44! Wow......I could write you a novel right now, but what it comes down to is how much you want to spend and how serious you are.

-Are you willing/capable of using more lights? Three, 100watt (I assume you mean they are 100 watt replacements so actually only like 25 watt) CFL's is not going to give you a lot of light. I would recommend using more CFL's or for even better results try a 250 watt HPS light for a box that size.

-Smell. Unless you don't have a problem with your house/apartment/whatever smelling like a dead skunk you are going to need a carbon filter and inline fan. Other than that one small fan should be fine for blowing air over your plants.

-Box Size. Is there a reason your box is that particular size? If you are not limited in size I would go a bit bigger (of course that is going to require even more light)

-Don't let anyone fool you it takes patience, reading, experience, and a surprising amount of cash before you can produce something decent. But it is totally worth the effort and it only gets better over time.

-SSF-

:yeahthat: Welcome to MP! Everything SSF said is true, it takes some dedication and work and of course $$$$$. I started off like you are now and ended up wasting a whole lotta money on stuff i never use now. If you can, save your money and do it the right way. Get the hps, give yourself and the plants some more room, and read read read read. Good luck. A.M.

:welcome:

take care and be safe

:48:

SensiStarFan said:

-SSF-
no they are actual 100w cfls i got from a site and i have 6 total i believe, 3 2700k and 3 6700k
also yes the size is exact i cannot go any bigger and dont want to any smaller.
and no they are seeds i have bubblegum from a site as well i believe half are male half are female
as for lights i am willing to get more and fans i am willing to spend a good amount, as for the smell my friend ordered this gel that he uses and place it on cardboard around the exhaust fans

I am thinking that you actually have the 100W equivalent. Six actual 100W CFLs would be incredibly hot in that space, especially without adequate ventilation, they would have been quite costy (and don't they use mogul bases?). Do you have a lumen rating for the bulbs? Lighting needs are figured by lumens per sq ft. If we know the lumens on the bulbs you have, we can tell you if you need more and how much.

im not using 6 at once i have 3 for vegetation and 3 for the blooming and flowering i have the right amount of lumens already checked that and they are 100w no equivalent i ordered them off the internet.
considering i have 3 100w clfs and they would be going at once im trying to find out what type of fans i need and how many

:welcome: I'll let the experts lend the hand, listen to them as they do know their stuff!! I will say good luck and here :bong2: take a rip of Northern Lights while contemplating the next step!

Am I need to post a post to introduce myself ?can you give me some advice?

Okay, a few more questions about your lights.....How many lumens does each bulb put out? Did you get bulbs in the 3000K range for flowering?

Are you planning on using a carbon filter during flowering? Any time you have resistance, I think a centrifuge type fan with a speed controller is best. Look into a 4" Vortex, Can, Eclipse, etc. HTG Supply has some fan/filter combos for a decent price. I have found that it is sometimes cheaper to buy from HTG through E-Bay. For example, I recently purchased 2 wall mount oscillating fans. They were $80 total through E-Bay. Directly from HTG they were over $100, so it pays to shop around when looking for growing stuff. Your vegging space may be able to stay cool with a decent bathroom type exhaust fan as your space is small. However, keep in mind that your CFLs will run hotter than HPS of like lumens. They also cost about twice as much to operate as a HPS (of like lumens). I'm thinking that I recently read that the 100W CFLs put out about 58 lumens per watt, whereas a HPS should give you a min of 100 lumens per watt.

Welcome bubblegum44....I started about 6-weeks ago. Right now I'm in the spending lots of $$$ without much success phase. However, this forum is very helpful in that experienced growers take the time to share their knowledge...My limited advise would be to read the grow journals.

Also, in regards to CFL's, my brother recently purchased a giant sized a CFL bulb, that required some kind of adapter to use, at 1000bulbs. He spent around $85 total including shipping. The crazy thing is that it gives off 10,000 lumen...Maybe something like that would be better for your box.

For $100 you can get a 400W HPS that put out 50,000 lumens....

Do you have a link to the light your brother purchased? The "adapter" was most likely for socket size--it probably required a mogul socket rather than a regular one.

He bought it from 1000bulbs. There's one that glows 8,000 lumens and one slightly more expensive that glows 10,000 lumens....It looks like something that goes into a nuclear reactor or something.

I'm not into CFL's. That's my brother's lighting strategy.

Latest posts

Back