Help controlling air movement noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phmaster

Reaction score
I have a 250 can fan and this sucker is like a jet engine!! My issue is not the noise of the fan but the noise of the air moving.
I have a silencer on the end where air comes through plus insulated ducting plus the ducting size is larger than needed so barely any restrictions, the inlet whole is just by a door that has a filtered whole in it.
Even with all the with double doors plus both walls insulated it still sounds like a 747 idling in my room!

Lengthening may help...all so may consider adding additional insulation to the ducting...it comes in small rolls 2 to 4 inches wide...add a wrap and secure with duct tape.

I was thinking about that but I have around 15 lights so I need to get the most out of it, the 250cfm is quite enough but noise is the issue, a buddy of mine reckons I need to extend the length of ducting? Thoughts??
Get more smaller exhaust fans rather than one big one. I would look into AC Infinity fans, they have been great for me and no jet engine noise. Do you just pull air or do you push and pull?

Get more smaller exhaust fans rather than one big one. I would look into AC Infinity fans, they have been great for me and no jet engine noise. Do you just pull air or do you push and pull?
I push and pull I was thinking just have two large extraction fans and just using vacuum to pull air in through open ducting

I push and pull I was thinking just have two large extraction fans and just using vacuum to pull air in through open ducting
What size room (area) are you working with? Probably much bigger than tenets, but I like using a fan to push air in and a slightly higher CFM fan to pull air out. That give a slight negative pressure and works well for me. Your setup might be too big for smaller quiet fans. My cousin has a 6" Max fan Can fan and even with speed controller turned down it sounds like the jet you described.
Maybe lowering your fan's RPM's will help some if you can stand to reduce the air flow. A inexpensive fan controller can help with that.

https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Exhau...an+controller&qid=1568284886&s=gateway&sr=8-8
Some fans don't like those speed controllers like you linked to, it makes them whine....I prefer to use variacs and the chinese are making them pretty inexpensive now, these will lower the voltage input and slow your fan without the whine. No offense hollowpoint!
https://www.amazon.com/VEVOR-Transformer-Regulator-Industries-Appliances/dp/B07GGXZHBS/ref=sr_1_18?crid=38O5CTARD46C2&keywords=variac&qid=1568295359&s=gateway&sprefix=variac,aps,162&sr=8-18
Or you can get the real deal STACO brand variac used on eBay for around $100

Use insulated duct work.

You have 15 600w hps lights and you are using ONE 250 canfan to exchange your air in the room or is it to cool the lights? Or both? I just can't imagine there is any scenario where you have 15 hps lights worth of plants and also adequate ventilation with 250 cfm.

Oh, fellowsped, I couldn't agree more--9000W of light and 250 CFM of exhaust....something's wrong here.

Oh, fellowsped, I couldn't agree more--9000W of light and 250 CFM of exhaust....something's wrong here.
That's what I was thinking . That would be a pretty big area so you might be at the point where you need an industrial ventalation system.

You have 15 600w hps lights and you are using ONE 250 canfan to exchange your air in the room or is it to cool the lights? Or both? I just can't imagine there is any scenario where you have 15 hps lights worth of plants and also adequate ventilation with 250 cfm.
I have a 400 something cfm can fan pulling air out plus an extra vacuum whole pulling air in plus the 250cfm pumping air in, my door slowly closes by itself so I know I have the right airflow

Last edited:
Nothing wrong have had everything worked out properly, my setup works all the time my temps
Have always been perfect just a problem with noise. The area is on cold concrete floor so the 250cfm is always pumping plenty fresh cold
Air. Have you ever felt a 250cfm before? My old
Fan sucked a thick jacket through 6 meters of ducting like it was a dried leaf. Unless you have help or knowledge for me I don’t want to her how what I’m doing is wrong

I'm sorry but I think you're full of shit. You don't have a grow room with 15 600w hps lights that are adequately taken care of with the ventilation you have described. That room would be COOKING hot. So why don't you take your pretend grow and your pretend problems to another grow board where they're not quite so sharp and maybe you can slide on in unnoticed. This board is for real questions to real grows or potential grows. This is a fantasy of a teenager who doesn't understand how easy it is to spot their lies....

Unless you have help or knowledge for me I don’t want to her how what I’m doing is wrong
I think I tried to help by telling you to get better quailty, smaller fans and use more of them, but then asked for a dimesion of the room and you didn't give that info, just (15) 600 watt HPS lights is all. I would have mentioned those details in the beginning.
What brand of fan is making all the noise?? It's difficult for anyone here to inagine 9000 watts of HPS and such a small fan being used for ventilation. I have more than 250 cfm of air moving through my 8' x 8' room, thats why the comments came out. You didn't give us squat for details and it seems like you don't care to give any details.

LOL--I have more than that running through a 4 x 4 tent.

Latest posts

Back