Help me search for a MOM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmokeMyPiece

Rip Champ
Reaction score
Hey guys, its been a while since ive grown, but ive gotten the itch again:aok:
Im gonna be lookin for a mom plant to bonsai in soil, and clone her for my hydro setup. It has been even longer since ive grown in soil, so if any soil pro's see somethin wrong, dont hesitate.

Unfortunately, The only reason for this search is because im starting from bagseed. I bought a 5 pack of mixed greenhouse seeds along with a few others and got some freebies. I decided to save the greenhouse seeds to grow last(now), but they all went dud within this last 2 weeks... all 5! my other grows: world of seeds' popped, dinafem popped, even all the unnamed freebies popped.. So now im down to bagseed. but i digress...

Soil:
-some starter soil (.03-.04-.05)
*This then got thoroughly rinsed with 6.8 ph'd water
-perlite (30%)

Lights:
-4 x 26W(100eq.) 6500k CFLs

Nutes:
-FoxFarm Trio

Currently in the third week, the three plants are doing ok. Im still using the WEEK2 nute formula.

The yellowing on the lower leaves was early on, and i think was from the soft water i was using.

The Blue Circle Plant is the most behind, but stinks so good! (the only one to smell at all so far)

The Orange Circle Plant has been steadily giving me trouble. Although it seems to grow the fastest, its for sure the ugliest. Showing signs of heat stress, nitrogen def, and weird two toned coloring, i cant bring myself to cull it just yet.

The Red Circle Plant is lookin the best.

Ill try to update each week, and might start some more just in case, but im hoping to find one hot momma! So any ideas or help is much appreciated!

first grow journ piccrop.jpg

IMG_1198.JPG

IMG_1199.JPG

Hey SMP. How big is your grow space? and you are going to need ALOT more light than that mate, HIDs are the best bang for your buck. mojo mate :aok:

"I" would only choose a mother/donor/keeper, AFTER testing the final product..;)
Looks can be deceiving.. :p
"I" would take a cutting or two from each, to veg out while these are flowering. After watching, growing, and 'testing' all of them. You will be able to make a more informed choice. :)

MosesPMG said:
Hey SMP. How big is your grow space? and you are going to need ALOT more light than that mate, HIDs are the best bang for your buck. mojo mate :aok:
Hey Moses, thanks for checkin in man. The space is about 1.5x1.5x2.5'
This spot will just be for a mom.
I have an HPS for flower, but i dont need too much light for a vegging mom. Actually, I usually use 4 cfls and can Veg some bushy monsters.

Hick said:
"I" would only choose a mother/donor/keeper, AFTER testing the final product..;)
Looks can be deceiving.. :p
"I" would take a cutting or two from each, to veg out while these are flowering. After watching, growing, and 'testing' all of them. You will be able to make a more informed choice. :)
Whatup Hick,
Lets say i continue to bonsai these three.
Root a clone from each in a cpl weeks.
Flower, keep females.
Narrow female mom after "testing" the finished clones?

"either or".... bonsai these and take clones to flower, OR take clones, flower these, and bonsai your choice of donors..

Hey SMP my space is about the same as yours. Are you using a box?

Cool, sounds good Hick.

Ya Moses, one for mom, one for flower.. kinda small scale, just personal use.

IMG_1200.JPGIMG_1201.JPG

I think im startin to tap back into my soil growin days :aok:

I went back to using 2CFLs since my last post; Doin a lot better.

I just took two clones from each plant. Goin hydro when they root.

IMG_1235.JPGIMG_1233.JPGIMG_1234.JPG

Should I get rid of the stretchy plant? They all get the same amount of light, but only one is bein lanky and I dont have room for a sativa-dom-type grow.

Other than that, it looks like there all different plants. Ive saved seeds from the better green ive come across for a while now, so i tried seeds from different months/years/people :aok:

Got some more seedlings coming as well, but so far:
One is tight noded/not branchy
Cola.jpg

The Stretchy one
Ugo.jpg

The last one in the bottom right is bushy as well, but is still stinkin it up
IMG_1257.JPG

Got 1 confirmed female, showing pistil pre flowers :) Turns out to be squatty, branchy, and smells as well :aok:

This one and the One that wasnt branching were transplanted. The stretchy one stayed in the cup and might be culled.
IMG_1274.JPGnew.jpg

Other than that, still waitin on the clones to root.

Moms are lookin better. Got burned, but I think i got the nutes in check now. However, my second attempt in soil went better (The one in the back). So far it just got its second feeding of 1/2 str. Root Stimulator. Ive learned my lesson haha.

The only two clones to root were of the stretchy plant.. which I got rid of. Besides, i think the ones I took were too young. Two more have been taken.
IMG_1294.JPGIMG_1296.JPG

Cant wait to get some Hydro goin... so much easier :D

My second attempt Mom is coming along nicely. Im thinkin ill top it at the 5th node and bonsai it that way.
IMG_1345.JPGIMG_1346.JPG

Otherwise, not much change, just some lst.. Pretty boring not having something flowering, hopefully itl be worth the search :rolleyes:
IMG_1349.JPGIMG_1329.JPGIMG_1330.JPG

Hick said it all take clones and test final product thats the only way forward.
T4

I was considering that, im gettin impatient lol...

...Take more clones, flip in a week or so.. I think ive been persuaded.

After a bowl and some thought, I decided to flower the better lookin mom. I also noticed some pistils on it this morning :aok:
There would be a lot of colas and jungle madness if i flipped the older mom now, My setup isnt that big.

I want to grow her naturally (never have) and just take the bottom branches for clones. My other flower box isnt done yet, so how does this look for her?
-Painted lower walls soon
-Transplanting today, would 3 gallon be ok?
ame.jpg

Just got first feeding of 1/2str Big Bloom :clap: Used a root stimulator feed this whole time lol.

Ok, well I got a little OCD on making sure it was light proof, as I have a veg box in the room as well. Bad news is she vegged another week in the mean time , and I dont think it'll fit once its starting to flower.

I just finished everything today, but wanted some second opinions from Yall:
I wanted to top today and flip it tonight, Tryn to stall the stretching it does over the first few weeks?? Otherwise, Im thinkin ill have way too many tops if i let it recover in another week or two, THEN flip.
IMG_1409.JPG(6-21-11).jpg(6-21--11).jpg

Heres the next three candidates in the search.. One may actually join the runt I have in the Green house
IMG_1406.JPGIMG_1410.JPG

So, I decided to top then flip a few days later.
Took a branch that wasnt gonna make the canopy.
Pistils are now shooting out all over

Some of her lower leaves were yellowing and dropping faster than usual, but the top 3/4ths is looking great.... So I fed again this round instead of a plain watering. (FoxFarm week 5 feeding) *First time feed with flowering Nutes*
IMG_1457.JPG IMG_1458.JPG

Other than that, The two other mommas are still in veg. Not sure how much longer theyll last in that pot..
IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1460.JPG

Ok.. This thing is def a sativa dom monster.. outgrew her home, so the ***** got an upgrade. Not keepin these genetics, so the clones were killed.

Diff source of beans germ'ing, and clones from the bushier momma are in the cloner. They will be a hydro run when they root + Very Short Veg.

These are over the First Week since pistils showing up:

IMG_1474.JPG<First Day
IMG_1469.JPGIMG_1467.JPG<Couple days ago
IMG_1479.JPGIMG_1483.JPG<Today

Starting to fill out a little; Better pics next post as i was messing with the clone box and couldnt get to the flower box to well. Fed FF today. Molasses will be used next watering.
IMG_1495.JPG

Took a couple clones from the remaining momma.
Also starting a few more prospects.. more beans sprouted than i expected. ran outa pellets so im tryin to see if i can get the taprooted seeds to start off in hydro; no medium was used as a starter. Just a piece of foam to suspend the taprooted beans. So far, 7 of 9 have shed their shells.
IMG_1493.JPGIMG_1494.JPGIMG_1496.JPG

Latest posts

Back