Help me shut my wife up calculate my hydro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

000StankDank000

Reaction score
My rate is off peak 7 to 7 6.7 cents kill ow watt,mid peak is 10.4 cents and on peak is 12.4

I run a 96watt 4 bulb T5 24/7 and an 54w x 8 T5 fixture 24/7
I have a 1000 watt 120 v HPS that runs from 7 to 7 off peak hours.

My fellow Canucks does the 7 to 7 cheap electricity is only in summer not winter?
Can someone PLEASE help calculate my power usage thanks

with all the fans and other stuff i say you should not exceed 1.8$/day that is considering the 12c rate... At peak it is 12 cents and that is relatively cheap, to shut wife up, well, ask what the expensive rates are in other areas, and show it to her.

In Ontario where you are you pay 7.7 cents/Kwh from 7pm to 7am all year round, so that should be your on time for the 1000 imo. your rates do change for winter and summer for the 7am to 7pm hours.

All that only applies if you have a smart meter. If you dont then you pay like this:First 1000 Kilowatt Hours per month:8.8 cents/kWhAbove 1000 kWh:10.3 cents/kWh
You can see the chart here
http://www.ontario-hydro.com/index.php?page=current_rates

As for how to figure out what your bll would be, good luck, tell your wife $220 an oz and up for decent smoke is more expensive than what your adding to the hydro bill. And go around your house and eliminate anything that is wasting electricity.

My rate is off peak 7 to 7 6.7 cents kill ow watt,mid peak is 10.4 cents and on peak is 12.4

I run a 96watt 4 bulb T5 24/7 and an 54w x 8 T5 fixture 24/7
I have a 1000 watt 120 v HPS that runs from 7 to 7 off peak hours.

My fellow Canucks does the 7 to 7 cheap electricity is only in summer not winter?
Can someone PLEASE help calculate my power usage thanks

Well your 1k watt thats on from 7-7 is an easy one, your using 12kw a day @ 6.7cents a K.W = 80cents.

As for your T5's, not sure if your total wattage is 96 + (54*8) = 528, so basicly half a K.W. Take the average cost of your K.W / Hr = 8.55cents, your using again, 12Kws, cuz you have .5kw at 24hrs.. so thats 12*8.5 = 1.03 for your T5's.

Works out to yup, 1.80 a day, but they probly add a bit onto that for distribution services, transmission fee's, bla bla bla.. might be costing you 60-80$ a month

tell your wife $220 an oz and up for decent smoke is more expensive than what your adding to the hydro bill

This is what trumps all answers, really.

I was smoking 1.5 oz's a month.. It's expensive up here, at $350 whole (about $425 a month) so in all honesty, it's cheaper to create it myself! And the product is 10x better. :D

Yep,,,it aint cheap buying Dank. Its kicked my butt,,lol. I will be back to growing soon though.

we have the cheapest rates in north america....where i am:)

So before someone jumps into this big learning curve we have no way to found out 100% of our lights power usage?

The formula is pretty simple.. but when dealing with power companies its hard to determine an exact amount.

Watts X HrsPerDay, divide by 1000 to get it into KW/Hr, then multiply that by the rate they charge you per KW/Hr

10yrs ago I think the general rule was that a 1000watt bulb running 12/12 cost about 20$ a month, now its probly closer to $25-$30

So if I'm paying $120 a month Towards my hydro use do you all feel that I'm covering my half?
I wanna add another 1000watt but she is crying now that I'm causing the bill to go threw the roof.

Next week I'm installing a 220V 4 light controller and running my ballsts of 220v.

I think your $120 covers your grow op, not sure about your "half" if you include other utilities you use ;P

less then u pay on pot, i run alot of stuff and figure all in all where i am in the US like 150 mo but that 3 lights and fans etc still less then i'd smoke

So if I'm paying $120 a month Towards my hydro use do you all feel that I'm covering my half?
I wanna add another 1000watt but she is crying now that I'm causing the bill to go threw the roof.

Next week I'm installing a 220V 4 light controller and running my ballsts of 220v.

So whats your bill? What was it before you grew? We pay the same rate and when I ran 2 600's 12/12 an exhaust fan and a 5000btu AC and a 4 bulb four foot T5 24/7 my bill for the whole house was between $550 and $600 every 3 months, so around 200 a month, dont know if that helps.

So before someone jumps into this big learning curve we have no way to found out 100% of our lights power usage?

You got it. You can pull your meter and still get a bill. Did you also notice the fast one they pulled switching the billing to every month? Bills are doubling and tons of folks don't even notice. And it doubles in another 4 years I hear. And here comes the carbon tax... revenue streams indeed

Did you ever notice that you have an amp draw on your neutral leaving your house? The power company gets back 80% of the power it sells to you then sells it back

Latest posts

Back