help me with spider mites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineharvest

Reaction score
I have been having trouble with mites for about six months now and they just wont die. They started in one closet and it wasnt long before my other two closets got infested too. I even cleaned my entire closet out and cleaned very thoroughly but after each grow they still come back stronger than ever. I am on a five day rotation where i use neem oil, ciggerette water, mite pesticide, and it doesnt even faze them. Is there a gauranteed way to kill these things?

Maybe you need to strip the grow room down and sterilize everything, and start all over. For once you get them they are very hard to get ride of. GOOD LUCK.

There are some products out there...One is called floramite and another is avid....i also use sm-90.....

i have never had a problem with spider mites because i am always making sure that my grow space is SPOTLESS. i think there are some foliage sprays that you can get for spider mites too. Don't lady bugs help too or is that just for whiteflys?

florakiller, 1 app:)rolleyes: I know) they say. It lasts for 4wks, not recommended once pistils develop. My prob wasn't too bad but 1 application did work. I straight up laughed out loud at hydrostoreguy when he told me that. 50/50 iso/water helps, everything everyone else said though ladybugs prefer another diet they will help control them but IMO the mites will eventually take over. I/ve also heard great things about avid though very stong stuff. Kepp temp down and humidity up and that will slow their reproduction tremendously... I hate these little poo-poo's and at this point could probably write a thesis(?) on my battle's;).........and i forgot, there's always the tedious ways....little vacuum to each leave...sponge both sides of leaves with chosen kill method...and the absolute best of luck 2ya!

I use neem oil...but have just ordered some dr doom Buddyluv says its great for even 48 hours befor harvest..But i will have for emergancy..neem oil missed every other dy when discovered for a week to ten days..and then every other week to keep them at bay..hope this helps

groworganic said:
i have never had a problem with spider mites because i am always making sure that my grow space is SPOTLESS. i think there are some foliage sprays that you can get for spider mites too. Don't lady bugs help too or is that just for whiteflys?

If you have not had spider mites IMO you have not grown long..its going to happen..unless you never leave the box your plants are in..and yes Lady bugs are great but they are a seasonal item here..Go to Hydro shop and buy some neem oil and fallow the instructions..When you do get them..

I have no idea how to get of spider mites...but i reeally hate spiders haha...

Thanks for all the advice but I still dont know. My Mental Floss strain is not taking to any of the methods and no matter what i spray on the leaves it burns the two plants pretty bad. My other strains are more resistant to the sprays but its just not working. I have been personally rubby all the leaves and smushing all of the bugs for about an hour a day or more but there seems to be an endless supply of bugs. I OFFICIALLY GIVE UP!!!! SPIDER MITES WIN!!!

maineharvest said:
Thanks for all the advice but I still dont know. My Mental Floss strain is not taking to any of the methods and no matter what i spray on the leaves it burns the two plants pretty bad. My other strains are more resistant to the sprays but its just not working. I have been personally rubby all the leaves and smushing all of the bugs for about an hour a day or more but there seems to be an endless supply of bugs. I OFFICIALLY GIVE UP!!!! SPIDER MITES WIN!!!

You have to get rid of all your plants houseplants too ,then use bug bombs, then when you think its all clean use more bug bombs.

Then never go outside then into your grow area, same for pets, no houseplants.

The easiest and fastest way to get totally rid of spidermites is hotshot's no pest strips, they will eliminate the problem in around 12 hours, but you have to close up your room and turn off your ventilation for the 12 hours that you run the NPS, i also like to repeat the process in about 4 days or so to make sure i got all of the unhatched buggers... Also i like NPS because they impregnate the air and have no negative effect on plants, the chemical it uses actually breaks down into water vapour and leaves no resides anywhere... They will also kill any other problem pests in your grow space

You can pick up neem oil at Lowe's too if you have one were your at it only cost 12$ and it will make up to 16 gallons. cheaper then the hydro store, they told my 50$ so I had to pass it up @ the hydro store. But found it at Lowe's. check out this thread I started a lot of info here for sure. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33885&page=2

Don't give up man. The key is being diligent in your treatments.

Get a coupe of products. I personnaly use Avid (which is a little hard to get) and Schultz Fungicide3.

hXXp://gardening.yardener.com/SchultzFungicide3.html (change XX to tt)

Now, use one treatment and HOSE your plants down big time. Be SURE to get up UNDER the leaves. Now, wait 3 days, then use the same treatment again. And HOSE them down well.
Wait 4 days and change your treatment to another type. Spray them down. Wait 3 days and use it AGAIN.

Switch back and forth and use it every 3-4 days. Period. Do not slack. Keep doing this until you go into Flower. You should be fine.

Don't mess around man. Do it every 3-4 days. Period.

If you want to clean up your room, take the plants out and use a pyrithium bomb to treat your room.

Treatment is the ONLY way to get rid of them. Smashing them will not. Mite eggs hatch 24-72 hours after being laid. That is why you MUST hit them every 3-4 days, without fail.

Dude, stop jacking around with all these weak products.

You need some serious firepower. Listen to me and NorCalHal about the pyrethrin fogger...

Use a Pyrethrin fogger and be done with it.... It will make it impossible for ANYTHING TO NOT BE POISONED, even with their freaking annoying webs....

Its like releasing A HEAVY FOG MUSTARD GAS for insects in your house... it is minimally harmful to humans as well....

I GUARANTEE IT WILL KILL ALL THE LITTLE SUCKERS!

I had a bad spider mite problem. Used it once, and I have NEVER SEEN EM BACK. Hell I have never seen any insects in my house since :D

After that, hose your plants reguarly with a pyrethrin spray.... That will keep em away and finish off their hatchlings from the eggs...

Avoid using soap sprays or neem oil... it is minimally effective with their webbed defenses!

I have been able to get rid of my spider mites using lady bugs, no chemicals.
You can buy them online. Buy at least a few bags at a time and keep some in the fridge. You have to let a thousand or so at a time and add more every week. Wipe the plants down to get rid of webs first. I was able to get rid of a heavy white fly and spider mite infestation using only the ladybugs but you have to use a lot and keep adding more regularly. The ladybugs will eat the eggs and help clean your plants.

kasgrow said:
I have been able to get rid of my spider mites using lady bugs, no chemicals.
You can buy them online. Buy at least a few bags at a time and keep some in the fridge. You have to let a thousand or so at a time and add more every week. Wipe the plants down to get rid of webs first. I was able to get rid of a heavy white fly and spider mite infestation using only the ladybugs but you have to use a lot and keep adding more regularly. The ladybugs will eat the eggs and help clean your plants.

Wow... I may have to try that if I ever got a problem during flowering instead of pyrethrins. Thanks!

I have had trouble with spider mites in the past. One post mentioned keeping temp down and humidity up. You want to down just the oppiste. Spider mites stay on the under sides of the leaves while your lights are on where it is cool and humid. Plants transpire from the under sides of the leaves. You want under 50% humidity if possible. When you spray neem oil are you spraying the under sides of the leaves. I wear rubber gloves and turn the leaves over. If you have a healthy looking mother plant in another area they may be migrating from her. You could also be bringing them in from outside or your pets or kids could be bringing them in. I hope that was helpful

Spidermites do not like humidity, they like dry hot conditions as it speeds up their mating and lifecycles, they live on the underside of the leaves beacuse they can easily make use of the excess water vapours that the plant transpires, this is how they get oxygen

If you want to go thermo nuclear on their *** and just about every other living organism in the grow space, get yourself some Potash of Permanganate aka Condes Crystals and some Formalin or Formaldehyde.

Get yourself a small glass vessel half fill it with the formalin and add about 1tsp of PoP. A gas mask would be advisable or certainly hold you breath.

set it down in the grow space and get the hell out of there for a few hours.

Instant death to spider mites.

Latest posts

Back