help needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcshoeco1041

smoking good
Reaction score
a few of my plants have a "saggy" appearance. what is the cause of the drooping? i think it might be heat, i water every 3 days. should i water more? bigger fan blowing on the plants?? pleasee help!

yes, water more often if they're wilting. What's the light wattage and room ventilation if I may ask?

IF they're being overwatered it's pretty easy to tell, they'll be wilty and the soil'll be wet and heavy....

:yeahthat:

And what are your temps?

Need more info if you want help.

I have found wilting to be a sign of overwatering sometimes. I dont do much indoor, but I try not to get the indoor plants too soggy. I also notice outdoor, at night the girls will "wilt".

Check HippyInEngland's Plant Problems sticky. It shows wilted plants due to overwatering.

Anyone heard from HIE lately? Just wondering bout him.....

HIE still MIA

IMO if the whole plant is drooping it's underwatering
if just the sun leaves are drooping then it's over watering

i thinks it was poor ventilation, i put a bigger fan, and i brought the temps way down, more wind gettin thru now. ill switch watering to every other day

I used to use a water gauge ...they are cheap and tell you if the soil underneath is wet, damp of dry. Now I just use my finger and stick it down a couple inches. If the soil is dry then I water. I use stones at the bottom of the buckets where the holes are so that the soil on the bottom does not stay wet, the excess water runs through the stones and out the holes.

Its easy to tell overwater from underwater.If after watering the plant perks up in a couple hours its underwatered, if it doesnt let it dry out real good before your next water.

well found out that the problem is that my plants are wayyy to big for thier pots. roots ar poking thru the drain holes. so will be transplanting and hopefully they will survive the shock.

dcshoeco1041 said:
well found out that the problem is that my plants are wayyy to big for thier pots. roots ar poking thru the drain holes. so will be transplanting and hopefully they will survive the shock.

What size plants and what size pots? As for under or over watering I just lift the pot. If it's light and they are droopy they need to be watered...if they are droopy and your pot has some weight to it you might hve over watered, or it cld be something else. I use Smart Pots so over watering is never an issue for me.

Its funny to hear of people over-watering their plants when my Bro's plants in hydro are getting watered continuously 24/7 without any wilting problems. I wonder if people running soil used water that is continuusly aerated, would they still have issues with over-watering, or would that eliminate that as a problem :)

i just got em in to 5 gal pots now, hopefully they will start looking better. i dont think the watering was ever the issue. the plant was dying toward the bottom which has the newest roots ( i assume) and the top was alive and healthy cause those roots are the most mature. i added some ROOT 66 and some THRIVE ALIVE B-1 to help with the transfer. Is there anything else i could do to ease my babies with this transfer??

Hushpuppy said:
Its funny to hear of people over-watering their plants when my Bro's plants in hydro are getting watered continuously 24/7 without any wilting problems. I wonder if people running soil used water that is continuusly aerated, would they still have issues with over-watering, or would that eliminate that as a problem :)

Soil is different then hydro and coco in their water holding capabilities.
Soil turns to mud, in hydro water stays water and coco drains and dries quickly compared to soil. just my $0.02

No clue how hydro works, are the roots continually in the water, or is it sprayed on the roots??

The water in hydro is highly oxygenated--the roots are continually given oxygen in a hydro system. That is the only way that plants can survive in an environment like that. Plants whose roots sit in water that is not oxygenated will die. When soil plants sit in muddy soil, they do not get any O. It is the capillary action of the soil that pulls in oxygen as the plant uses the water in the soil. If the soil plant stays too wet, it does not get any oxygen. This is basically the difference between how soil grows supply O to the roots and how a hydro system does. The roots must have oxygen.

Dcshoe--do you have a real exhaust fan in there actually giving you good air exchange? Plants need a continual supply of FRESH air for proper photosynthesis.

i have a 24" fan taking in air blowing on the plants on medium setting, and i have the top vent hole open, and a 8"fan on high setting, for exhaust.

Latest posts

Back