Help On Trimming A Mother Plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budsterman

Senior Junior
Reaction score
Okay, so everybody knows that I'm starting hydro now. So basically this is the 1st time I'm really dealing with mother plants. I've always basically been a bean popper.

So what's the best way to banzai mom plants? How do you trim it so it gives you the best amount of clones?

I've read elsewhere that mother plants are only good for 20 clones.

But yet they state here:

This bonsai mother, if well fed, produce 10 to 30 good cuttings every 14 days under an HID or every 20 days under fluorescent shop light. This means a 4 ft x 2 ft shoplight with 18 Mums, could produce an output of over 9500 cuttings a year.

Which is correct Hammy? I'm getting conflicting info.

I've read elsewhere that mother plants are only good for 20 clones.
at one time??.. certainly depends on the size of the mother. More growth tips, more cutting sites, more cuttings. There is no "limit" "IMO"

None of this is telling me "How To Trim Cuttings From A Mother Plant".

I have no clue how to do this properly.

Budsterman said:
None of this is telling me "How To Trim Cuttings From A Mother Plant".

I have no clue how to do this properly.

None of us did, it's not something you are born with, but learn from doing it/experience.

Re read Mf's 'Bonsai Moms' sticky and look at the pictures. Then get your scissors and make your plant look like the ones in the pics.

I only use clones from perhaps every 4th or 5th trimming of the plant. It grows faster than I can use them, so most get tossed. But, the more you do it, the easier it is and the better you get at it.

Wet

Latest posts

Back