Help! Outdoor have switched way way to early

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phmaster

Reaction score
i live down under and we are currently in late spring, Ive got about 11 outdoor girls which usually grow 12 to 15 ft throwing enormous weight and this year for some reason one has switched way to early! As they are usually ready around Easter!. Now we have had about a week of dark cold weather nothing crazy and since the start of the week I’ve noticed white hairs/ tricromes on one which has nearly shocked me to death! I have been doing the odd tips to double her size and the odd clones and have taken the clones of the almost bud formation sites! I was wondering if by any chance it will switch back before the damage it done? Or anything I can do? Also why they are burning/ crisping on the ends? I have a big problem and are giving low doses of watered down insect repellent? Down below is a clone I took with the white hairs
PHmaster

Attachments

• 3E9C5D89-C138-4A46-83B4-475022C92B01.jpeg
    3E9C5D89-C138-4A46-83B4-475022C92B01.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 45
Hi ph, and welcome to MP, glad you are here. So, one of the plants is showing early flowering? Only one. hmmm If you want the one plant to reveg, it might on it's own, it will need longer light periods. Do you do indoor? Otherwise i would just let her do her thing and keep us posted as to what happens.
What kind of bugs are you fighting?

Outdoor always! Lol I’m not sure about the bug side but there are moderate to large wholes being chewed out as seen below. I have scowered the plant looking and can’t seem to find anything at the moment but a watered down soloution of Yates insecticide as I’m not sure what the active ingredient is in it!. The clone I had taken has shown signs of not switching back yet being in prime spot! Also noticing on the plant it came from new growth has spots of purple!? So maybe a cold weather issue? But how do you keep outdoors warm?
Phmaster

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 42
Plants can turn purple with cold temps, but that doesn't hurt anything. Your plants look like they are trying to reveg, see the three leaves or single leaves show reveging. It is a long hormone process outdoors to change to flower or back to veg.
Oh and please don't spray with something you don't know what it is. We smoke and eat this plant. I would not treat those big holes, just look around for slugs, earwigs, etc and if you have them you can treat around the base of the plant. Put some cardboard at the base of your plant, go out in the morning and lift it off and see what critters you have and hurry and kill um.:~} Keep us posted and see what you find tomorrow morning?

If your plants are reveging, leave them, don't pick off the flowers. You are still early in spring there, you will get good plants, I battled reveging girls all the time and I have an extremely short grow season. They will be ugly for a few weeks but will continue to grow. I am helpless about bugs. I use something call Captain Jack or is it Doctor Jack. Not my department as the Mr. TC does all that here. The Jack item does the thrips and mites spraying every five or six days for a couple weeks (three sprays at least). Make sure you get under the leaves. As the plants are small, managing the bug problem now is key, your plants will thank you later when they are bug free and big.

Burning on the leaf ends usually means to much nutes, tone down any nutes and bring them back slowly. Good soil should have enough nutes in it for four weeks minimum.

The upside to revedging is you could get monster plants as everywhere there is a bud will be a limb coming out of the stalk. I have got some real nice plants that have revenged. I watch the light hours when starting my plants to match the light hours outdoors that will be happening when I put them out. 14 hours is what I run on my seedlings, and 14 hours of daylight is where the sun is here in mid May.

Good luck to you fellow outdoor grower, Welcome to MP.

Plants can turn purple with cold temps, but that doesn't hurt anything. Your plants look like they are trying to reveg, see the three leaves or single leaves show reveging. It is a long hormone process outdoors to change to flower or back to veg.
Oh and please don't spray with something you don't know what it is. We smoke and eat this plant. I would not treat those big holes, just look around for slugs, earwigs, etc and if you have them you can treat around the base of the plant. Put some cardboard at the base of your plant, go out in the morning and lift it off and see what critters you have and hurry and kill um.:~} Keep us posted and see what you find tomorrow morning?
The bug soloution I use is actually used for veggies and flowers so I felt safe and used a watered down soloution

So after leaving cardboard out I found some little critters but nothing obvious until I actually moved it around to notice it was riddle with white fly!!
I had also noticed that one of my drippers was spraying mist drenching the plant over night! That’s the cold right there so I believe that maybe the cause!!

It is not good to use watered down solutions of insecticides and miticides. They make them the strength they need to be to kill whatever it is that they are meant to kill. By watering down the solution, it does not give them a stong enough dose to kill them, but does make them more resistant to the insecticides eventually making the insecticide useless.

Latest posts

Back