Help, please! Strange disease/defficiency

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

czarownik

Reaction score
Every leaf has strange, easily visible light-green colored 'stripes':

normal_zd1.png

The plant doesn't grow at all. Leafs are directed to the ground. The second plant has these strange light-green 'stripes' too but manages to handle that defficiency or a disease or whatever it is a little bit better, but still, endings of some leaves are curved and two leaves are a bit deformed, and it grows a bit slower than it should.

I went through multiple articles about diseases and deficiencies and couldn't make a diagnosis. Please, help! What could this be?

Edit - I'll provide more info, maybe it will help:
"Ground used was enriched with Osmocte WE NPK 15-09-09 and starter WE NPK 10-52-10.
pH in H2O - 5,7 - 6,2"

I watered it only with 7,0 pH~ water.
Also, it is not about about a 'weak plant' genes, because both plants are two different strains from two different seed banks. They are 17 days old.

Thanks for any attempts to help.

Tell us about your soil also how often you water and feed the plants......... it looks like they could be over watered and staying to wet IMHO.......... more pics would help.

I water them only when the soil is dry. Only. So I think that over watering is not the cause.

Do you think too high pH can be the cause? The ground is a mix of peats enriched with Osmocte WE NPK 15-09-09 and starter WE NPK 10-52-10 fertilizers, with addition of ceramsite (which increases pH of the soil - just found out).

Was watering it with 7,0-7,4pH water with addition of Biohumus fertilizer - NPK 0,08%;0,05%;0,12% (which additionaly increases pH of the water as I just found out as well).

I think too high pH may be the cause. What is your opinion?
Also, can I lower pH of the water adding a little bit of citric acid and start watering it with that mix to save it?

I can't make any more pictures at the moment.

i don't know about PH, but that soil is too hot. With osmocote every time you water you are feeding them/ 10-52=10? really? Way too hot.
If it was me I would get some fox farm soil and move them in it and out of that stuff. Don't add citric acid...why?

I do not use any product containing Osmocote.

It slow releases fertilizers and could (most likely) be causing the N-buildup when you're supplementing with those other two items.

Like Rose said, a transplant to either FF Happy Frog or some other gentle, organic soil would help with that.

To change the ph level, you'll need to get a real bottle of PH UP and a real bottle of PH Down, which can be found readily available online or at you local indoor garden shop, depot or what have you.

The light color stripes against the darker leaf says 2 things, one is deficiency (most likely magnesium and calcium), the other is nitrogen is too high. I would suspect that the soil is way too hot and the pH is not right, and the 2 things together are locking out the Magnesium and calcium. MJ is a very need specific plant. It doesn't like too much or too little of anything. That soil also looks to be too dense. It should be mixed with a significant amount off pearlite to loosen it up for better aeration.

I agree with Rosebud that you should transplant them into some soil or coco that has either NO nutes added or is formulated for MJ. You can go into organic soil then use pearlite and Dolomite lime to aerate and buffer the soil. The Dolomite lime will also add needed magnesium and calcium.

PH is critical to growing MJ. When using soil, you should try to maintain around 6.5. The best way to control pH is to control the water going in. Make sure that water is at 6.5 every time and the soil should be fine. I highly recommend that you get the right soil and MJ formulated nutrients for the best results. :)

Sounds like overwating- ph off and looks like to much N as others said..... jmo.

Thank you for your input, guys.

Picked up the plants out from the pots (carefully, tried not to destroy the roots) and mixed the soil with a different soil: high peat - with addition of coconout, perlite and barks, this new soil that was added to existing soil has little or no fertilizer in it.

They are watered with pure water with addition of a little bit of citric acid. Waiting for pH paper testers to arrive.

I hope they will get better.

You need a DIGITAL ph meter.

Get some dolomite lime and sprinkle on top of soil and water in...

Alright, I'll look for dolomite. Citric acid lowers pH of the water.

Seems like if the soil was to hot, it would burn the plant? Any attempts i`ve ever made to increase nutes a little has resulted in the tips burning...even in bud on plants that the leaves are all yellow, tips burned...

"Over-nute" will often "burn" the tips of the leaves just as you have experienced, but often with increases of nitrogen to just shy of toxic levels will cause the leaves to get quite dark green and can also cause the leaves to curl under and form a "claw" shape to them. Different plants will show in different ways, as will different nutrients in over abundance. :)

Latest posts

Back