Help plz!Prunning & Sick plants in bad soil!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbterd

Reaction score
Quick Question before I move into a grow diary!? Soil help?!
Thanks Ricorico and anyone else who has or continues to help with my first grow. I really am a completely inexperienced grower and any and all help is sincerely appreciated.
I have updates from both plants and my next post will be in the grow diary section I just have one last group of questions. Anyone who reads this and can help please do!

I had one really sick plant and diagnosed with nutrient (N) disorder and also both have a small gnat problem. I transplanted the Healthy one and it appears to be doing well and I'm debating whether or not to FIM (really need advice on that haha) and then the other sick plant I pinched off the dead leaves and need advice on how to get it healthy and in a new (non miraclegrow) soil too.

I am going to move both of these plants out of miracle grow soil today and I am looking for advice on how to go about it. They both have root systems in the miracle grow soil but how do i get them out and into new soil? also how much perlite should I add to the new organic soil? Also last question, I have heard that putting down a 1/4 inch layer of sand on top of the soil can help keep gnats from laying eggs in the soil because it dries more quickly. Is this a good idea or is there a better medium to lay on top of soil for the same effect??? Thanks SO much to anyone who responds! REALLY appreciated.

(Also, I pinched off the clover leaves and dead yellow leaves on the sick plant.)

Healthy plant 3 days ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/128872968@N06/15608805846/in/photostream/

Healthy plant today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/128872968@N06/15662046915/in/photostream/

Sick plant 3 days ago: http://www.flickr.com/photos/128872968@N06/15445877799/in/photostream/

Sick plant today: http://www.flickr.com/photos/128872968@N06/15662859972/in/photostream/

THANKS SO MUCH
(I really do appreciate any help or mentorship I'm a first time grower with no clue)

Welcome to MP.
To transplant out of the MG, which is a great idea, you can run a butter knife around the edge of the pot and then tilt the pot in your hand so you can catch it and hit the bottom and it will come out. Have your new soil ready watered and drained and put the plant in it. What soil are you going into? I would suggest happy frog from fox farm. I don't have to add anything to that.

Just get your plants into some good soil and they will straighten up quick.

Yes, clean sand on top of your pot is a good way to control soil gnats away. You may want to water from the bottom for a while.

If you could post your pictures here it will help. Some folks won't click on your links.

Actually I just got back from the store so getting this post is perfect timing thanks so much.
With a supposedly plant and flower safe insect killer(that im suspicious of) some fly paper, and neem oil for the gnats. Probably going to make a diluted neem oil spray and diluted peroxide spray with a some sand on top too.
Making some holes below the level of the sand so water doesnt get to badly trapped by the sand.

As far as soil goes im gonna move out of miracle grow and use just plain potting soilmixed with perlite. and maybe use a weak nute mixture every other week that i water for good nutrients as long as the plant looks good.
Sound good? Ill let you guys know how it goes.

Take the neem oil back. Jeez, they must have the best sales reps in the world. That stuff is just so icky. I just hate it. I would not use any bug killer on small immature plants that are struggling.

If your soil has good drainage properties you do not need to make the holes in your soil. Also, I believe Rosebud mentioned that the plants should be watered from the bottom when you have sand on the top of the soil.

What exactly is "plain potting soil mixed with perlite"? Let us know exactly what you bought--that could be just as bad as the MG. When you start giving nutrients, you will need to feed on a regular basis, not every other week. It will be more like twice a week. what do you plan on feeding them.

I want to caution you on taking the advise of the grow store guy. Remember that these people are there to sell you stuff first and foremost. A lot of them do not even grow. It is a good idea, as a new grower, to get the advise of people who have experience and have nothing to gain before you go buying stuff from the grow store..

I don't know the exact kind but it is organic and fertilizer free, I was going to mix in miracle grow tomato nutrients but in a very weak concentration I'm talking like 1/4 dilution maybe 1/2. Feeding from
The bottom seems hard with the way I have it set up but so far it looks like watering on top of the sand has been fine I've just had to replace it in spots here and there where the sand sinks into the soil. I'm trying to figure out a better way to water but I have no real idea which way would be best.

Thanks guys,

Fimmed and sex is beginning to show on the big healthy plant nervous cause I dont know what the sex of the big healthy plant is yet

But the little girl is looking somewhat better (just noticed the hairs coming out of the pistil areas!!) but is really stunted and growing SLOWW with a bit of unhealthy curl at the ends of a few leaves still not sure how to get her growing good like the other one.

Anyways though What do yall think about pruning the big one that I fimmed down by the base? not sure what to do about how bushy its getting around the base of the plant on the two or three lowest nodes below. Keep the fan leaves? keep the preflower "popcorn" bud sites down near the base of the plant or clip em and redirect growth to the new fim area?

big one sex undetermined, little one believe it or not appears to have female preflowers

Thanks guys!!
Here are some pics too!

View attachment photo 1.jpg

View attachment photo 2.jpg

I believe that you are just seeing new growth on your larger plant as it is still not nearly large enough to be showing sex.

Do not feed with anything from MG--cannabis is not tomatoes and needs food for cannabis, not tomatoes. If you do not have nutrients formulated for cannabis available in your area, order some online.

It really is important to know what your soil looks like and exactly what it is. Just because it says that it is organic does not mean that it is good. Some of it has way too much bark material in in and poor drainage properties. And some has nutrients that will burn the babies.

Tell us about your room setup--how large, how much light, what kind of light, ventilation, etc, etc.

DO NOT CUT OFF FAN LEAVES. The fan leaves are the solar panels that turn light, food, and CO2 into THC. Also do not cut off "dead" leaves. The plant will drop them as soon as it has taken everything from the leaf it needs.

The plant just looks a little dry to me, actually.

What are you using as medium? The sand on top I can spot, but the rest looks like coco, which needs to be watered multiple times a day.

Plant into regular soil on your first grow.

Latest posts

Back