Help preserving strain

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brohio

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post, and have learned a lot reading, and want to thank you all . We have stumbled upon a great strain....we were able to get a few clones and started some from seeds. They all are different ages, and we started way to late.
So, we need advice on how to preserve these babies, it's getting cold here at night, in 50's and sometimes lower. They have always been outside. We were hoping to have a nice few plants that we could make clones for next year with. We have never done that either. I don't know whether to put into veg stage? or flower? ....please advise ! Thanks again ! :vap-Bong_smoker:

Make some more clones and keep them inside under a light. Where you live depends on your being able to grow in winter...

Ok, what kind of lights for the clones ? We have full winters, but it's really cold. What's to cold for the outside plants in general ? Thanks

Plants freeze at 32 degrees. I have heard Marijuana stops growing at 50 degrees.

If you could get yourself a little T5 you could veg it thru the winter and put it out next spring..or keep taking clones till spring.

Welcome to MP by the way.

Is it possible to keep the plants in flowering mode, and use the same plant for clones ? Just curious, thanks for the replys pretty much total beginners here....

The longer a plant has been in flower the harder it is to take clones. Most people try to get that done in the first couple of weeks of flower. How long has your plant been in flower? Could ya take a pic for us?
Are you wanting a proper indoor grow or are you just trying to save an outdoor plant that you are afraid will freeze? Which i am afraid of the same thing.

Thank you so much, yea...we want to 1) save them from freezing and 2) ( hopefully) be able to make several clones for next season. I will see if I can post some pics. It's a small batch, only a few are in flower right now, the others look nice and green, and look like they have lots of potential.

Your climate either will let you finish them or they won't. I am hoping mine will last till the third week in October at which time I will harvest.

Only the clones will preserve the actual pheno, the other seeds will be different.

If you want to cross the plant to make F2s you can preserve the strain.

So I'm thinking let the plants with buds go as long as weather permits, and try to keep the younger ones alive through the winter. So I'll need a light like mentioned. Also, on the ones that are indeed budding, is it possible to pick the buds off, and still keep the plant alive ? Can someone tell me more about what I might need to be able to clone and when ? Thanks so much. What a wealth of info here...

Yes, if you chop the majority of all the colas off but leave all the bottom growth and as many fan leaves. it's possible by putting her under a good light in a veg period, to bring her back.

Put the little ones inside under a t5. They are cheap and work great. Refer to the FAQ for all the info you need and remember to research. Something is only as much as you put into it.

Good luck :)

Is it possible to keep the plants in flowering mode, and use the same plant for clones ? Just curious, thanks for the replys pretty much total beginners here....

No, it is not possible to keep a plant in flowering and use her as a mother. What ToA is describing is revegging and is quite different than keeping a flowering plant to be used as a mother. Sometimes they come back and sometimes they don't. I have about 75% luck revegging. It would be advisable to take clones, too. Plants can be kept in veg as long as you want however. They will need a space set up indoors or they will not do well. There is really no good way to keep a plant in stasis through the winter.

Trying to keep something alive during the winter to plant outdoors next spring is going to be a lot of work. What exactly is this strain and why can't you just get or make some more seeds?

Good points , getting more seeds is something we are trying for, but not sure if we can. I guess the reason is cause we have nursed them for half the summer....if we would have started them earlier, things would have been perfect. And they appear to be a picture of health too. Sizes ranges from one to three feet tall. Oh , the strain is Mango Cheese. For medicinal purposes, it's the best I ever had. So we are hoping to keep it alive (hopefully) and thanks again....you all have been a great help.

BTW. HG. Just re-reading your post. Can you please give us basic info on when and how to clone ? ( for dummies ) I guess we would hope to start next years crop around May or so. TY

You usually clone when the older plant is in "veg" anytime in veg is fine. Then we "flip" to flower you have about two weeks in general to take clones.

I usually veg under T5s for 8 weeks from seed as it takes that long to tell the sex. Most of us on here like to veg 24 hours a day. The plant doesn't need a dark period to grow. BUT when we put them under our flowering lights, HPS, LED, etc then we keep them at 12 hours light and 12 hours dark and use a timer.

So anytime it is under the 24 hour light you can take clones. That was way more then you asked huh..sorry... it is the pot.

Ok, so what would you think , time wise it would take them to go from outside to veg before cloning, since they aren't started from seeds ? Thanks

Ok, so what would you think , time wise it would take them to go from outside to veg before cloning, since they aren't started from seeds ? Thanks

I don't quite understand this question....Are you asking how long it would take to reveg them and then let them get big enough to take clones?

If we take them inside under veg lights, can you start cloning immediately ? Or let them veg more. They have some sighns of buds, but still young.

Best way throw her under a 24-7 veg light I have done this before it will take a few weeks to reveg before ur able to get clones but this will only work a few weeks into flowering never did it once it past 4 or 5 weeks its only to be done in if totally necessary only reason I did it is because I wanted to continue a sour d plant for the next year because I lost the mother

Latest posts

Back