Help setting up growing room (wardrobe)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toto_13

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm new here , and It's my first attempt to grow weed.
so I need some of your experience to convert my wardrobe to a grow room.
the dimensions are
width:50 cm (19.7 inches)
length:188cm (74 inches)
height:103 (40.6 inches)
here is a picture of it:

7. Please post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as 3 pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them. Also we discovered that quite a number pictures hosted on other sites gets deleted after some time making the threads worthless on our forums.

toto.jpg

Do you want to go with a soil grow or hydroponic?

Either way, you'll need some holes for electric and ventilation.

A single 400 HPS will be all you need for light. If you use an air-cooled hood, you'll resolve a heat issue.

Actually, two 250 watt HPS would work better. Both with air-cooled hoods. That will spread the light better on each end and allow you to keep the bulbs almost on top of the plants. Best use of the height can be maintained by using LST and topping. Couple of small fans for intake and exhaust in the cabinet and you're ready for either soil or hydro.

As soon as we know if its soil or hydro, we can all help more.

toto_13 said:
Hi guys.
I'm new here , and It's my first attempt to grow weed.
so I need some of your experience to convert my wardrobe to a grow room.
the dimensions are
width:50 cm (19.7 inches)
length:188cm (74 inches)
height:103 (40.6 inches)

I'm not sure those dimensions are right. That cabinet looks a lot taller than it is deep or wide. Are you sure it is 74 inches in length and 40 inches in height?

-SSF-

SensiStarFan said:
I'm not sure those dimensions are right. That cabinet looks a lot taller than it is deep or wide. Are you sure it is 74 inches in length and 40 inches in height?

-SSF-

hehe, I'm so stoned right now...I didn't notice that. It sure looks like:

Width: 19.7

Length: 40.6

Height: 74

If so, then everything I said so far still works.

Ha! Good catch SSF. :doh: :D

Soooo, that would be 5.5 sq ft of area.

At 5,000 lumens per/sq ft, you'd be doing great with a single 250 watt HPS like this: 1000bulbs.com/product/6466/LU250ECO-67578.html

That would give you 5,091 lumens per/sq ft.

Perfect. Easier to cool also. One air-cooled hood instead of two.

StoneyBud said:
hehe, I'm so stoned right now...I didn't notice that. It sure looks like:

Width: 19.7

Length: 40.6

Height: 74

If so, then everything I said so far still works.

Ha! Good catch SSF. :doh: :D

Yea that makes sense if those two numbers were flipped. Because if it is 74 inches in length and only 20 inches in width then multiple lights would definitely be the better way to go because your garden is shaped long and thin.

-SSF-

StoneyBud said:
Do you want to go with a soil grow or hydroponic?

Either way, you'll need some holes for electric and ventilation.

A single 400 HPS will be all you need for light. If you use an air-cooled hood, you'll resolve a heat issue.

Actually, two 250 watt HPS would work better. Both with air-cooled hoods. That will spread the light better on each end and allow you to keep the bulbs almost on top of the plants. Best use of the height can be maintained by using LST and topping. Couple of small fans for intake and exhaust in the cabinet and you're ready for either soil or hydro.

As soon as we know if its soil or hydro, we can all help more.

I will go with the soil grow as it seems easier and I'm new.

SensiStarFan said:

-SSF-
sorry , I may have flipped dimensions (my english is bad).

Will I have to cover the walls with Aluminum or something ?
and for the cooling what do you recommend ?
I've got the seeds , after germinating , I must plant them and then what is the routine for water / nutricients ?
nutricients are important ? ( I may have difficulties to get some.)
If I have anything wrong , please correct me.
Thanks for your answers.

EDIT:

StoneyBud said:
Soooo, that would be 5.5 sq ft of area.

At 5,000 lumens per/sq ft, you'd be doing great with a single 250 watt HPS like this: 1000bulbs.com/product/6466/LU250ECO-67578.html

That would give you 5,091 lumens per/sq ft.

Perfect. Easier to cool also. One air-cooled hood instead of two.

I dont live in US , shipping fees are 97$ , I'll try to find this lamp at local supermarket , If I dont find it is there any replacement for it?

Thanks.

toto_13 said:
I will go with the soil grow as it seems easier and I'm new.

sorry , I may have flipped dimensions (my english is bad).

Will I have to cover the walls with Aluminum or something ?
and for the cooling what do you recommend ?
I've got the seeds , after germinating what is the routine for water / nutricients ?
nutricients are important ? ( I may have difficulties to get some.)
Thanks for your answers.

I dont live in US , shipping fees are 97$ , I'll try to find this lamp at local supermarket , If I dont find it is there any replacement for it?

Well, there are other things you're going to need in the way of nutrients if you want to max out your plant.

The lighting you might find in your store are "CFLs" "Compact Flourescent Light". They aren't as efficient, make more heat and have bad light to cost ratio, but will work if that's all you can get.

You might try a few different grow stores on the net. Some might even give you free shipping with a light/light-hood/nutrients order.

What type of soil can you get at the store? Using outside soil, inside is not a good idea. Too many things in it besides soil.

StoneyBud said:
Well, there are other things you're going to need in the way of nutrients if you want to max out your plant.

The lighting you might find in your store are "CFLs" "Compact Flourescent Light". They aren't as efficient, make more heat and have bad light to cost ratio, but will work if that's all you can get.

You might try a few different grow stores on the net. Some might even give you free shipping with a light/light-hood/nutrients order.

What type of soil can you get at the store? Using outside soil, inside is not a good idea. Too many things in it besides soil.

I will try other stores later.
I bought soil from a supermarket It's dark I think It's called loam.

Thank you.

Paint your space flat white, its very reflective and easier and cheaper than Mylar. And your not gonna find a good HPS light in any store unless you have an indoor grow shop near by.

We have HPS lights that are security, warehouse, and/or stadium type lights in the US. You can make a grow light out of them if you are handy. You might check out if something like that is available in your area. Where do you live?

nova564t said:
Paint your space flat white, its very reflective and easier and cheaper than Mylar. And your not gonna find a good HPS light in any store unless you have an indoor grow shop near by.
Ok , Im gonna repaint it with flat white today. that makes it easier.
I will try to find an indoor grow shop and check some other stores, If not there must be some sort of alternative to HPS bulbs.

The Hemp Goddess said:
We have HPS lights that are security, warehouse, and/or stadium type lights in the US. You can make a grow light out of them if you are handy. You might check out if something like that is available in your area. Where do you live?

I live in Morocco , I'll check out DIY stores and I'm gonna answer you if I find some.

what about cooling what do you suggest ?

Thanks mates.

Cooling will depend some on what lights you end up with.

Hi
so I finished painting the wardrobe and Its dry.
you may want to take a look at the results:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=166364&stc=1&d=1303332630

and I also bough 2 lamps at some DIY store but I picked up the wrong as they were in the sodium lamps section ones
here they are:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=166363&stc=1&d=1303332634

I'm planing on getting them replaced tomorrow , if they are fine too , just tell me.

First, the light you show in your pic is a High Pressure Mercury Vapour Lamp.

A common high-pressure sodium, 250 watt bulb will put out around 87 lumens per watt of power used or 21,750 lumens total. A typical 250 watt mercury vapor lamp will put out around 48 lumens per watt or 12,000 lumens total.

As you can see, the lamp you've chosen puts out a lot of heat, the wrong spectrum and about half the lumens of a HPS, (High Pressure Sodium) lamp.

It seems like you're rushing into this with both eyes closed and it's "Damn the results, I'll use whatever is available" attitude.

I know the other experienced growers reading your thread are thinking the same thing; You're setting yourself up for massive problems and failure.

If you STOP running at full speed and SLOW DOWN and learn what you need BEFORE buying anything else, you'll be able to learn what is needed, what is not good and how to buy it for use.

If you continue to run at full speed and buy crap that isn't right, you'll end up with a burnt up plant and will have wasted all of the money you spent.

Slow down man. It's not a race. Do it right, not fast.

Growing weed takes planning, learning, money, time and patience.

So far, you're not planning, haven't learned, haven't taken any time and seem to have no patience.

If you continue on this path, you're doomed for failure.

I'm sorry, but I've seen too many do exactly what you are doing. All of them learned the hard way by losing the money they spent and the time it took.

You haven't wasted much time or money yet. You can still slow down and do it right.

StoneyBud said:
First, the light you show in your pic is a High Pressure Mercury Vapour Lamp.

A common high-pressure sodium, 250 watt bulb will put out around 87 lumens per watt of power used or 21,750 lumens total. A typical 250 watt mercury vapor lamp will put out around 48 lumens per watt or 12,000 lumens total.

As you can see, the lamp you've chosen puts out a lot of heat, the wrong spectrum and about half the lumens of a HPS, (High Pressure Sodium) lamp.

It seems like you're rushing into this with both eyes closed and it's "Damn the results, I'll use whatever is available" attitude.

I know the other experienced growers reading your thread are thinking the same thing; You're setting yourself up for massive problems and failure.

If you STOP running at full speed and SLOW DOWN and learn what you need BEFORE buying anything else, you'll be able to learn what is needed, what is not good and how to buy it for use.

If you continue to run at full speed and buy crap that isn't right, you'll end up with a burnt up plant and will have wasted all of the money you spent.

Slow down man. It's not a race. Do it right, not fast.

Growing weed takes planning, learning, money, time and patience.

So far, you're not planning, haven't learned, haven't taken any time and seem to have no patience.

If you continue on this path, you're doomed for failure.

I'm sorry, but I've seen too many do exactly what you are doing. All of them learned the hard way by losing the money they spent and the time it took.

You haven't wasted much time or money yet. You can still slow down and do it right.
I know I bought the wrong lamp as I said It was in HPS section so I thought it was an HPS lamp, and I'm considering changing it tomorrow.
I'm not in a hurry , I'm just a little excited to set up my grow room and watch it take shape.
Youre right about the part that I havent planned , It's normal It's my first experience and I'm doing things step by steps following experienced people (your) instructions.
I watched a tons of videos on how to grow but I came here to ask for help make sure everything I do I do it the right way.
but I guess youre right I want to do many things at the same time, I gotta slow down.

okay tomorrow I'm going to replace those bulbs by 2x 250W HPS bulbs and Im going to need a little advice to install them, then we shall see what's the next step.

Thanks for your time mate.

toto_13 said:
I know I bought the wrong lamp as I said It was in HPS section so I thought it was an HPS lamp, and I'm considering changing it tomorrow.
I'm not in a hurry , I'm just a little excited to set up my grow room and watch it take shape.
You're right about the part that I haven't planned , It's normal It's my first experience and I'm doing things step by steps following experienced people (your) instructions.
I watched a tons of videos on how to grow but I came here to ask for help make sure everything I do I do it the right way.
but I guess you're right I want to do many things at the same time, I gotta slow down.

okay tomorrow I'm going to replace those bulbs by 2x 250W HPS bulbs and I'm going to need a little advice to install them, then we shall see what's the next step.

Thanks for your time mate.

That's great man. You'll also need matching ballasts for those lights. They can NOT be used in a standard socket. The ballasts should have a cord on them that allows them to be used outside of the closet. You'll need to cut holes for the cords and run the cord into the closet so that no light can enter the closet in the "Dark" cycle.

Okay, I bought this lamp but I couldnt find a matching ballast , I was also told that I needed a electric transformer to make it work.
Thanks.

toto_13 said:
Okay, I bought this lamp but I couldnt find a matching ballast , I was also told that I needed a electric transformer to make it work.
Thanks.

A 400 watt light in that little space will be over-kill.

I suggested a 250 watt HPS and you bought a 400 watt HPS.

I think I'm just going to back out of this one.

Sorry. I hope you get around to reading the information here on this site in the "Stickies" at the top of each area. You really need to learn a LOT more before you start buying things.

Good luck to you.

StoneyBud said:
A 400 watt light in that little space will be over-kill.

I suggested a 250 watt HPS and you bought a 400 watt HPS.

I think I'm just going to back out of this one.

Sorry. I hope you get around to reading the information here on this site in the "Stickies" at the top of each area. You really need to learn a LOT more before you start buying things.

Good luck to you.
I havent found 250W , I found 150W and 400W , and you suggested first that I should get a single 400W or two 250W.
I'm going to read the stickies before doing anything else.
thanks.

Latest posts

Back