help something wrong

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epicstuff

Reaction score
today I noticed, infact just the last hour, some leaves are curling up and loosing their shine and getting brittle.. the plants are nearly half way through flowering. I'm sure I havent over fed them and I always flush the old feedings with water inbetween . can it be heat? yesterday I put a reflective surface behind the plants so they would benifit from not only the powerful tropical sun but the reflection as well, cant think it would make that much of a heat difference , .

any ideas?. I might just put in the shade now and flush with plenty of water as an emergency measure untill someone can come to my rescue with what exactly the problem is.... also having a another issue with some seedling but that for another thread....

IMG_2915.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

I do not know exactly what is wrong, but I have 2 suggestions:

Number 1, do not flush between feedings. This is not a good practice. In fact, do not flush unless you have a problem.

Second, remove the reflective stuff. Plants outdoors do not need it. If this happen at the same time your plants went south, I would believe that it is a contributing factor.

What and how much are you feeding them?

when I said flush I mean i give just water inbetween. actually I dont give the recommended 25% excess because the soil at the botton never dries out. the reflective idea was just that i read if plants are outdoors put against a white wash wash wall to maximize light, thought this was just an extention of that concept. I start to think maybe I dont give enough water inbetween feedings and because the soil is a little heavy and never properly dries out near the botton maybe theres a salt build up nr the bottom of the pot. because it doest flush properly, what do you think. THG ?

also with feeding because 'i'm useing a unknown brand and I havent been able to decifer the quantities I have been tiptoeing with the qty . I am using about 1.5 teaspoons on the stuff for every 1.5 liters of water and using 1.5 L to feed a 5 gallon pot , and I have been creeping up to that level over a period of time; until now seen no real adverse effects. Ok possibily there is a time delay with it being in a soil grow.. I don't know!!!! sorry if I use both metric and imperial .... I'm english , what can I say..................

Do yourself a huge favor and get actual nutrients. General Hydroponics is cheap, easy to use, and effective. Jmo

I'm w/ Hamster. Nutrients are an enormous factor, especially when trouble shooting. MJ can get finicky when fed with "generic" nutes so it's hard to say what the issue here is as a result. IMO it appears like a nutrient problem but thats simply a hunch.

As THG implied, maybe remove the reflective mylar if the problem occurred shortly after. Also consider that nutrient salts can build up rather quickly. Once the balance is off a plant can respond rapidly. I think a flush is a solid idea (w/ runoff) and then apply a week solution of pH balanced quality nutes.

good luck......

Whats your PH level. Could be Nute Lockout.

epicstuff said:
when I said flush I mean i give just water inbetween. actually I dont give the recommended 25% excess because the soil at the botton never dries out. the reflective idea was just that i read if plants are outdoors put against a white wash wash wall to maximize light, thought this was just an extention of that concept. I start to think maybe I dont give enough water inbetween feedings and because the soil is a little heavy and never properly dries out near the botton maybe theres a salt build up nr the bottom of the pot. because it doest flush properly, what do you think. THG ?

also with feeding because 'i'm useing a unknown brand and I havent been able to decifer the quantities I have been tiptoeing with the qty . I am using about 1.5 teaspoons on the stuff for every 1.5 liters of water and using 1.5 L to feed a 5 gallon pot , and I have been creeping up to that level over a period of time; until now seen no real adverse effects. Ok possibily there is a time delay with it being in a soil grow.. I don't know!!!! sorry if I use both metric and imperial .... I'm english , what can I say..................

If your soil is heavy and never dries out completely, it does not mean that you are not watering enough, it means that your soil has poor drainage capabilities. This could be a problem too.

In addition, you are absolutely going to have to figure out the nutes you are using or get something that you know what it is.

I would also flush. You are going to want to use at least 3 times the container size when flushing--a 5 gal should be flushed with approx 15 gal of water.

yep had more issues with seedlings dying off but suspiciously I beleive it to be caused by the root extender I bought , as all my seeds that I used it on hatched then died. I noticed fungi on the soil where the root extender was mixed in.
Now have buds with early mould . I will grow this lot out and will have to think about importing all the right stuff if I'm going to do it again. heres the recap on my grow. Hatched 15 seadlings grew quick and strong then I killed all but 2 plants in the sun. one ended up being a male. ordered 15 more seads but lost in post if ever sent. Got another 15 seeds 10 x bubblicious and 5 x swiss cheese. only 2 bubblicious germinated. 1 of which was male and the other just didnt grow well. of 5 Swiss Cheese. 2 germinated normally 2 more eventually germinated over a week later however they all seemed stunted and died off as seedlings. so all those seeds and I got 2 budding plants.. one on which seems like its getting mould 2 weeks early. + a sick looking stunted plant that I'm sure wants to die. my bulbs keep blowing out in thunder storms, I spent a small fortune experimenting with different soils and ferts. pots etc that and all the electric bills I would have saved money buying on the street.Got a long way to go if I a going to make this a commercial venture which is what I was hoping would help me through these lean times.

This is not the cake walk many believe it to be when they start out. There really is a lot to learning to grow this plant. I am really sorry you have had such a time.

Yeah,,growing is not for the faint at heart. I use to believe it was just a freaken weed,,whats everbody talken about.:rolleyes: Do this do that.
Boy was I ever wrong. THG and Andy52 were the 1st to set me sraight with some good advice. Hell they are the reason I love to grow DWC. I remember thinking my CFLs were the greatest,,yeah I wast a dumbace.:D I love this forum. I have learned alot here.

they stay green, but get really brittle to the touch and will just break off right? seems like it happened overnight right?

...if this is the case, then i'm fairly confident its the reflector. it happened to me while in veg on my current grow. one of my plants wasn't getting enough light. so i put in some supplemental cfl lights. well what happened was one of the fan leafs got caught on the cord & managed to flip itself over so that the underside was within 2 inches of the cfl. when i checked on the plants in the morning the fan leaf that was flipped had turned extremely brittle to the touch.

with the way the reflector is angled it looks as though you are shining too much light on the underside of the fan leaves. which can be bad.

and yes many people like to give their plants a white backdrop. but when you do this you always want the back drop either reflecting downward or completely plumb. you never wanna reflect light upward, because the underside of the leaves dont have the capability to photosynthesize

ShOrTbUs said:
and yes many people like to give their plants a white backdrop. but when you do this you always want the back drop either reflecting downward or completely plumb. you never wanna reflect light upward, because the underside of the leaves dont have the capability to photosynthesize

True that...I also read somewhere that lighting the underside of the leaves can lead to stretching. I believe the reason is the plants think they are competing for light with other plants.

Latest posts

Back