Help! Tall, skinny seedlings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemp-o Kitty

Meeoowwwruana..meeoowww
Reaction score
Hi everybody!:)

I just registred myself because I think this Forum is great!!
People helping other people, sharing their knoledge....doen't matter about what!!...

I planted 10 seeds and all of them sprouted but they are all tall, skinny and very small for their "age".
They are six days and they look like 1, but they are very long.
They were inside a propagator and after reading some other threads, I took them out and put a stronger light.

Is it possible that these changes will make them bigger and thicker?
Or is it possible that because they are like that now, they won't grow anymore?

Please Help!!! :cry: I don't want them to die....so small...I love them already!!

Hey there,

How far is your lamps away from the plants ? The closer the lamp, the smaller the plant will stay.

FP:cool:

someones probably gonna move this thread to plant problem section. but to quickly answer you keep flos 1 inch from plants unless you have a mh light. also turn you a fan on them to strengten the roots . and also ive been covering the plant like i do tomatoe plants when there 3 to 6 inches tall and flimsy ive been reburying and covering 80 percent of the plant .

Hi,

thank you for your answer! :)
My lamp is a Tungsten Halogen 500 Watt, now at 2 feet (or 60 cm) from the plants.
Since a changed it, they look better.
Is my lamp too close or too far away?

Hemp-o Kitty said:
Hi,

thank you for your answer! :)
My lamp is a Tungsten Halogen 500 Watt, now at 2 feet (or 60 cm) from the plants.
Since a changed it, they look better.
Is my lamp too close or too far away?

Get rid of that light and just use a regular shop floro.
Halogen's are not good for growing and give off way to much heat.
Your light is your problem.

Hello!

Thanks to you too Skank, for your help.
The fan now is on blowing on the plants.
I think I'm going to repot them deeper as soon as they get a little bit bigger....that's a good idea.

Also, yeah...I started the thread in the wrong place! :eek:

The fact that the lamp makes more heat, is not good to produce the warmth they need?
And how many flos should I buy to grow 10 seedlings?

Hemp-o Kitty said:
Hello!

Thanks to you too Skank, for your help.
The fan now is on blowing on the plants.
I think I'm going to repot them deeper as soon as they get a little bit bigger....that's a good idea.

Also, yeah...I started the thread in the wrong place! :eek:

We all love "skank" around here but maybe Skunk can tell ya to get rid of that halogen light.

Hemp-o Kitty said:
The fact that the lamp makes more heat, is not good to produce the warmth they need?
And how many flos should I buy to grow 10 seedlings?

Its the lights spectrum as much as the heat that makes it bad for growing.
You could get 10 seedling under one 4 foot 2 buld fixture, then enclose the sides with mylar or foil if your on a budget, to "enclose" the light around the seedlings, more light is the key to making them short and bushy.

Thank you Growdude!!
Your advice is a tresure for me....I'm going to make some action and change the lights to flos.
Would do anything some somebody I love....and I do love them!! :p

growdude is right totally wrong spectrum . if your gonna get regular flos check your get warm and cool whites and mix them together . i found a daylight spectrum at walmart that puts out i think 3500 lumens in the 4 foot tube . comes in 2 pack for $9.97 they also have the four foot shop light for the same price that hold 2 bulbs. but i think your best bet is to use compact florescents. they do a better job at concentrating the lumens in 1 area instead of spreading out in a 4 foot area. but either will work for the veg stage . but however when you ready to go to the flower stage it is crucial to invest in a hps system to maximize your yield.

Thanks guys for your help and advices!!
Hummmm....buying the flos in Walmart....that would be a hell of a trip for me!!! :D I don't live in America and where I live we have no Walmart!
I've been in very big shops around here and they don't have the warm and cool whites.
I have to wait until saturday to go to a shop that might have them.
Now, the problem is another....Once the plants have been growing so slow and under a certain kind of light, will they ever be able to grow normally (when I will change the light) or because of my mistakes, they won't be able to recuperate themselves?

if you can keep them standing till you get the right spectrum for them to grow they should be fine. if you cant find cool or warm flos. look into fish aquarium bulbs . and if you can afford it why not buy a metal halide from a electrical supply dealer that would be your ultamite spectrum to veg in . but for a quick solution you can get the compact floresence and just screw them into a light bulb socket or 1 of them work lights with reflectors . there are alot of pictures in this forum that can give you ideas go into grow room setups and desighn section or even bud pics. and check them out it is alot easy that way.

I was looking around in the forum and I saw a thread that gave me hope.
There are some pictures of a skinny, tall plant (much taller than mine) and after some changes by the owner, this plant grew very well.
So I'm going to follow all the advices that you guys give me and I'm going....I know...I know...to READ a lot!

I will try to post some pictures as well.

Skunk, I ask you a question because you are a senior member and you know much more than me about it: should I continue my thread in this forum or should I start another one in different one?

welp , im not a moderator i guess whenever they decide to move itthey will let you know. what i would do is go to grow jornals and start there , that away you can take pics and show your progress ,and whenever you have problems you can go to sick plants and problems.ect.after all this is a introduce yourself page. meaning if im not on withing the next week or grow dude not everyone says hello so you might not get you thread answered anytime soon .ps although i do have a little exsperience behind me ,a senior member is after you post i believe 100 post or threads they could,ve been all questions know what i mean. anyways theres quit a few inteligant forum members in here that can also help you with any problems you may have in the future. gl and show us pictures of your babies soon.

Hey! Thanks again for your advice.
I made some changes and took some pictures...I'm going to start a new thread....
See you guys there.

Latest posts

Back