Help With Surface

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

can of ownage

Reaction score
i want to know what type of refelctive surface woul dbe best to cover a room in. im going all out and spending as much money as is needed to grow my first crop with 2000 being my limit. i dont like the idea of mirrors just for the simple fact that i took physics ( didnt pass cuz i slept and understood a hella lot) and they seem like the best option to me at first but the heat and absorption of heat caused by them would i think cause more problems than benefits, but again this is just my logic speaking. i would like some ifo is all. is tin foil good? my room is painted white of course right now or what would do the almighty plant more justice?

best; 1 or 2 mil mylar
better; white/black plastic sheet
good; semi gloss enamel

do you know the costs of these materials? also any places where i should start to look for the materials? i know walmart cant always have everything.... T.T

yea just didnt think growing would be as close al walmart..... wow the world is a very simple place......

To be fair, to do a CFL grow of "alright" semi-fluffy buds. Everything to do this could be had at wal-mart. get a cheapo vanity, a bunch of flos, MG soil and a few pots. a fan or two and an ionizer. and you could have the makings for a cheapo personal grow with slightly harsh bud. LOL

i understand what your saying and most people want just to grow for themselves like i do but i also know that if im going to invest money id rather just go the extra mile to insure everything is as optimal as can be so i would just like a list of places and materials that would be as such u know? i have carpet and its an apartment with the land lord coming by every couple months ( every 6 months or so) to check for air conditioner and such. for the record my grow room is going to be a closet deminsions around 4' by about 8' and about 10 to 11' tall so idk.. mylar is obviously what im looking for just dont know where or how much i could get it for. hid lighting is what im most worried about as i know almost dead squat about it ive read most of whats been up on the site ( which is great btw) and realize the basic principles of things since ive listened in my scinece classes. so idk flos dont seem like a good option to me unless its a clone or seedling idk about veg and all that havent grown anything yet just getting everything together. hid lighting is available where? mylar comes at wally? any preferences u have mutt? or anything u would recomend? just looking to have the most awesomest buds and hopefully be able to share experienece and such when i do get it... im also going to try to post pictures just to see if everything is good and such so yea.... forgive me for being teh b1g33st n00b 3v3r but im just keeping my future girls in mind. the closet actually has a vent in it (just like all my other rooms) that sucks air in and lets out air every so often (controlled) so i thought that would really help with ventilation.. hot air up sucks in cold air (controlled) out so idk if that will be enuff but yea. like i said sorry for all the trouble

can of ownage said:
i understand what your saying and most people want just to grow for themselves like i do but i also know that if im going to invest money id rather just go the extra mile to insure everything is as optimal as can be so i would just like a list of places and materials that would be as such u know? i have carpet and its an apartment with the land lord coming by every couple months ( every 6 months or so) to check for air conditioner and such. for the record my grow room is going to be a closet deminsions around 4' by about 8' and about 10 to 11' tall so idk.. mylar is obviously what im looking for just dont know where or how much i could get it for. hid lighting is what im most worried about as i know almost dead squat about it ive read most of whats been up on the site ( which is great btw) and realize the basic principles of things since ive listened in my scinece classes. so idk flos dont seem like a good option to me unless its a clone or seedling idk about veg and all that havent grown anything yet just getting everything together. hid lighting is available where? mylar comes at wally? any preferences u have mutt? or anything u would recomend? just looking to have the most awesomest buds and hopefully be able to share experienece and such when i do get it... im also going to try to post pictures just to see if everything is good and such so yea.... forgive me for being teh b1g33st n00b 3v3r but im just keeping my future girls in mind. the closet actually has a vent in it (just like all my other rooms) that sucks air in and lets out air every so often (controlled) so i thought that would really help with ventilation.. hot air up sucks in cold air (controlled) out so idk if that will be enuff but yea. like i said sorry for all the trouble

Now thats a great mentality. Really, if your gonna do it do it right. Mylar is good and all. but for reflectivity/cost ratio. Flat white paint. exterior. is the way I go. so I lose a couple of % pts. but with a good HID you should be set. try www.insidesun.com excellent HID prices. my 250W runs like a champ from there.

thanx i have white paint put in already but what did u mention about it being glossy or what not? mine is kind of just flat paint not glossy at all and more of a tinted color with beige than completely white as for reflectivity and cost i dont really care like i said i just want the best with a 2k threshold being my limit and about hid lighting how often do the bulbs get replaced? if anything i might just go ahead and buy a 250 if its ok and recomended but i had the 1000 in mind

250W works for my area. I know some say 400W but thats too much for what I do.
Just look at the area. the SQ.FT. dictates the HID amount. also a thing to look at with a 1K is ventalation. Those 1K get HOT. Good rule is 50W/sqft of HID.

Flat white paint. not beige or tinted..regular ole white.

like i said the vent in the closet usually keep the closets in my house the coolest in summer and such and a fan wouldnt hurt either but idk math hmm i was good at math but sq feet is calculated how? i mean the roomyour plant occupies or the total area of the room? i was even thinking of putting a panel on the floor and on top of that andother panel ( mayb something like drywall) and mylar that to cover every possible inch of the room. idk if thats nessecary but hey i figure it can hurt so if my demensoins r lets say 4' by 8' and 10' up, what hid light would be best to grow lets say 2 or 3 plants? idk but 250 sounds just a lil bit small to me but then again i dotn have any experience. teh only thing ive ever grown is 5' 9'' tall lol and thats me so idk. i hate to keep asking u questions but u seem to be the only one that talks around here and would liek to know which would indeed be best? i dotn think extra light hurts but the heat im sure will. thanx again

I'm waiting on Hick to mention that the idea of nailing a couple dead fish on the wall so all those pretty scales reflect light, turned out to be not such a good idea.

The difference in bud tween mylar and flat white paint is...mylar will give you a smidge more bud to a yield...and will also give you hassles during and in between grows.

Paint just kinda lays there not ever getting in the way...not snagging...no pinching or crimping....not smudging...just being all nice and reflective while MJ grows and grows.

Mylar is a noob's tourist trap when venturing into Growsville.

Will "Paint just kinda lays there not ever getting in the way...not snagging...no pinching or crimping....not smudging...just being all nice and reflective while MJ grows and grows."

Not smudging? Your sys must be cleaner'n mine, I still have to wash the walls between crops!

its just my work ethic i do believe if your going to do something do it right the first time. i dont think it could hurt but i guess ill just check into costs and everything. im really leaning on geting it however. any idea on cost again? and about mylar being a noob trap... obviously:D

what white paint is optimal just flat white paint or is certan wall textures able to help it?

I use exterior grade Flat White. More resistant to mold and stuff than interior.
Mylar ain't cheap. At one site. Mylar 10 ft 2 mil, $19.95. you'll need more than 1 roll @ 10'
Can of flat white enough to do the grow room about 5 bucks

Flat white Paint=75-85% reflectivity
Mylar=94% reflectivity
Semi-gloss white paint=55-60%

Latest posts

Back