Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonedCold

Reaction score
There appear to be two problems, but I think they are related.

The leaves on my babies seem to be drooping a little, rather than their normal perkiness. It concerns me, because I opened the reservoir to stir it up, and I noticed an abundance of material in the water, perhaps because I added Fox Farm nutes yesterday. In addition, the roots that are sticking out of the net pots are clumped together and covered in this goopy looking material.

To me, it looks like my plants are being over watered (I have hydro bubbler), but the other symptoms point toward too much PPM. How do I tackle this problem of too much material in the water, if every time I add nutes, it does this?

Here are some visual aids.

IMG_3629.JPG

IMG_3637.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

StonedCold said:
There appear to be two problems, but I think they are related.

The leaves on my babies seem to be drooping a little, rather than their normal perkiness. It concerns me, because I opened the reservoir to stir it up, and I noticed an abundance of material in the water, perhaps because I added Fox Farm nutes yesterday. In addition, the roots that are sticking out of the net pots are clumped together and covered in this goopy looking material.

To me, it looks like my plants are being over watered (I have hydro bubbler), but the other symptoms point toward too much PPM. How do I tackle this problem of too much material in the water, if every time I add nutes, it does this?

You can't over water in hydroponics. You can however have depleted oxygen due to algae growth. The algae will consume your nutes and make your PPM go nuts as well.

Light causes algae. Are you leaving the lid off for too long at a time?

Sounds like you may have a nute lockout as well.

I would advise you to dump your entire reservoir, clean it very well, rinse it very very well and make a new batch of nutrient solution. That should clear your plants up in just a day or two.

I don't have the lid off except to stir and check the reservoir for levels. The algae idea in my tank might be what the "goo" like material on the roots is. I am going to mylar the entire reservoir so that light can't get in, even though it is *MOSTLY* blocked by the opaque plastic, but 400watt HPS is kind of bright and finds a way to penetrate it.

Thank you. I'll update in a few days, maybe a journal if this continues on well and I get to flower.

The algae or goop material in the reservoir is back even though I emptied the entire reservoir and cleaned it. I had a similar problem happen in my last grow which brought about the end of it.

This goop material sticks to the roots blocking intake of everything. The plant slowly turns for the worst, and as it happens the roots begin to swell and fall off. :holysheep:

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE OUT THIS PROBLEM!!:hairpull:

I'm not a "bubbler" user. I use ebb and flow and NFT. Frankly, I don't like the bubblers because they're a closed system.

If your unit is light proof, then the nutes you're using may not be something you can use in this type of system.

Perhaps one of the other "bubbler" people can help you.

If you ever decide to go with ebb and flow, I think you'll find it much more user friendly.

Good luck man.

Here is what is going on with my plants. Please help...

:holysheep:

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3711.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

IMG_3716.JPG

Looks like PH problems to me....I am not a MJ hydro guy (have grown hydro plants bafore tho). You mentioned fax farms....did you get there Hydroponic ferts? or there soil fert line?
Take black elec. tape and wrap the pots...you want them with no light getting in.
give us the EXACT name of the fox farm line you got. So we can tell if its right for hydro or not.
Are you adding ANYTHING else?
We need a total grow area breakdown....click that link in my sig it has a questionare as the first link of everything we will need to help you troubleshoot. ;) "troubleshootin links" click that.

It looks to me like a bacteria problem that has also caused a nutrient lockout.

The cure; Get some "Anti-Bacterial" Hydroponic additive and put it into your reservoir at the correct mixture per/gallon.

Also, you can increase the amount of aeration in your reservoir. The more aeration, the better in DWC.

Walmart, Target or any plant nursery should have the antibacterial solution. Get the liquid, not the powder.

You'll want to get this fast and in your water.

Your pH is probably all messed up as well. Wait until you've added the antibacterial and it's worked for at least 24 hours before adjusting your pH.

1. Use the antibacterial solution.
2. Increase the aeration of your water dramatically.

Let us all know how well it works.

Good luck man.

Lets say you have a ten gallon res. Administer ferts for only gallons. So, 1/5 of the full strength. Also add some H2O2(Hydrogen Peroxide). It is very easy to push the plants too hard in hydro when they are young like yours so if you even want to let the plants recover for a few days, with no nutes, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

What's the temp of the res as well as the temp and humidity around your plants?

Also, don't have the base of the stem submerged in the water... I usually keep the water just below the net pots...

I was thinking that this may be a way to reduce the amount of confusion and replies by some of the problems that are posted on the forum.

A description of the problem and any of these following questions they can answer.

1. Soil or Hydro?
Hydro
2. If hydro what type bubble, ebb and flo, etc.?
Bubbler, 2 air stones in each 10 gallon rubbermaid
3. ferts/nutes used? Soil mix?
Fox Farm nutes. I've only applied the liquid Grow Big and Big Bloom, although I emptied the reservoir when this started and used solely Grow Big the second time. I used SuperThrive as well to help reduce the stress, but that obviously didn't work.:hairpull:
4. Lighting: Florous, HPS, MH, or mix? wattages?
400 HPS for most of the day 19 on/ 5 off... usually two of the hours are mixed in or solely the 7 CFL's blue spectrum I have. I realize they aren't enough lumens, but it is only for a few hours and to give additional blue.
5. PH if known?
PH is about 5.5-6
6. What stage of growth?
Still veg'n if you considered them small and dying veg'n. I'd like to think after this is over, they were mearly in their terrible two's...
7. Relative humidity and temp of area if known?
33-60% humidity.
8. Grow area size and ventilation?
Open most of the day for ventilation. Squirrel cage fan ******* hot air from HPS out and a the fans blowing fresh air in. 2X4X8 (LWH)
9. Any other measurements that may be useful like PPm, EC, CF, etc.?
Not yet, but obvious something is wrong....
10. lighting schedule?
19/5

I should also add, when I saw the roots get all gross, in order to combat it, i let them sit in a H202 and H20 solution for roughly 10 minutes each, every day. I think that is why they are putting up the fight still.

I'm heading out now to find some of this antibacterial stuff. I'll return.

StonedCold said:
I should also add, when I saw the roots get all gross, in order to combat it, i let them sit in a H202 and H20 solution for roughly 10 minutes each, every day. I think that is why they are putting up the fight still.

I'm heading out now to find some of this antibacterial stuff. I'll return.

The H202 will cause massive bacterial death. If advanced bacteria growth is your problem, (and I think it is), then the antibacterial will work great. Make sure you don't over do it. Mix it carefully by it's instructions.

H202 will also kill benifical bacteria, so it's not something you want to do on any regular basis. The antibacterial solution is made to kill only the harmful bacteria if mixed correctly.

Good luck!

The only product I could find was called "Algae Relief". It says for ponds, but it has alternate uses. I went to wal-mart, they and no other store around me seem to have what I'm looking for. I might try a transplant to soil just to salvage something.... ??

Thanks for the help everyone. I transplanted the babies into soil to just avoid any more troubles.

One of the bubblers had no bacteria build-up, so I left some plants in them. So now I'm soil/Hydro. I'll see which grows faster now since they are all roughly the same size.

Grow journal soon if I get closer to flower. Cross your fingers for me.:D

Just a FYI:

Mylar is a good reflector but is transparent.
Hold a sheet up to a regular room light. Believe me
its enough light for simple celled algae to grow in.

im not a hydro grower, but from the readings ive done.
your resevoir need to be LIGHT PROOF. PERIOD, along with
your connecting hoses, anything with water and nutes.

Goodluck..

Latest posts

Back