help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbluntsmoker420

Reaction score
ok so ive been growing whit shark and other strains in the same pot till they get big enough to switch out and i woke up and my white sharks leaves were turning brown my dad said the first leaves almost always fall off but im getting really scared i need some insight and some major help on what to do
here are pics of what i got

2011-08-10 06-14-01.125.jpg

2011-08-10 06-16-13.796.jpg

2011-08-10 06-16-39.171.jpg

2011-08-10 06-16-59.140.jpg

i re did the soil early today to make sure it wasnt that i let the soil dry out to make sure it wasnt over watering and i put em outside all day to see if it was my light being to close or something
u have a 400w metal halide light i got for hydro farm but idk how far to keep it from the plant but as of right now im using cfls and keeping em about 6 inches away from top of plants.. was thinking it could be roots from the plants getting to close together

Might as well migrate over here. My guess is that you have the right idea with the cfl's. They seem a bit too young yet for the 400 mh , if it was me i would do the same. In fact that IS the way i did mine. What wattage are the cfl's and how many? I know you can get quite close with those bulbs as long as they don't touch and your temps. are good. What is the temp at the leaves when the lights are on?? The more info everyone has the more help you are likely to get, i would think.

Also, what type of soil is that?? it does'nt seem to have much perlite ( water retention) looks sorta plain, i wonder if it could be aeration/drainage issue?? Meaning if the soil mix is really dense, the young roots might be having diffficulty. These are just my guesses, maybe you need a more experienced opinion. something to think about anyhow. Peace

idk the temp as of right now im using 1 100w cfl light i was using 2 but they second one burned out and i havent got another one yet i keep im 6 inches away and i have the plant in a closet on a shelf the close is all white and the pot is in a white Styrofoam box to reflect the most light

aeration ? i broke the soil up with my hands before i planted the seeds and never packed em down so i think they have plenty of room to grow as far as soil goes im using fox farm ocean forest

Oh, well i'm sure fox farm knows more than i, so i'm sure your soil is fine.Perlite is just an additive, like little white bits, makes your soil lighter texture,but anyway. Give it a little time and let the pros wake and bake up and someone wiser than me might help. We can't have them dyin on ya now can we!?

ffof is notorious for burning seedlings. It's just a lil bit rich/hot in some cases.
My advice would be to get them into their individual pots ASAP, and then nothing but properly ph water for at least two or three weeks...

Miracle grow seed starter soil or fox farm light warrior is the type of soil you want to go with the first few weeks. Like hick said, the ocean forest is a bit hot for the babies.

Solanero said:
Might as well migrate over here. My guess is that you have the right idea with the cfl's. They seem a bit too young yet for the 400 mh , if it was me i would do the same. In fact that IS the way i did mine. What wattage are the cfl's and how many? I know you can get quite close with those bulbs as long as they don't touch and your temps. are good. What is the temp at the leaves when the lights are on?? The more info everyone has the more help you are likely to get, i would think.

I use a 400w MH as well, and I put my seedlings under it as soon as they come up. You can never have too much light on your plants, just too much heat. I keep my light at about 18 in away from the top of my plants, and they seem to grow a new set of leaves a day until limbs began to appear, then they slow down to about a new set every two days.

As others have mentioned, your soil is too hot and you need to get these into individual pots asap. Seedlings do not need food for several weeks. too many nutrients can kill them.

You also need more light. When we talk about CFLs and growing, we need to use actual wattage, not equivalent wattage. However lighting is about lumens and not wattage. You are going to want 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 lumens per sq ft for vegging. You also need ventilation. Be aware that this hobby takes a lot of study, time, effort, money, and patience.

Solanero said:
Also, what type of soil is that?? it does'nt seem to have much perlite ( water retention) looks sorta plain, i wonder if it could be aeration/drainage issue?? Meaning if the soil mix is really dense, the young roots might be having diffficulty. These are just my guesses, maybe you need a more experienced opinion. something to think about anyhow. Peace

PEARLITE = AERATION

VERMICULITE = WATER RETENTION

This is a perfect example why we as growers want to control the feeding. Hot soil, especially MG with those time release ferts make things harder in my opinion. I like a nice neutral soil...I use MG seed Starter Mix.

7greeneyes said:
PEARLITE = AERATION

VERMICULITE = WATER RETENTION

Yes,right. It was4 am when i wrote that. i was'nt clear,or correct. lol that's what i meant .

i have the time money and patience for the hobby but i need the experience lol

so when i set up my 400 watt mh light what can i just blow a big fan on the light to keep it cool or do i have to vent it ?

all this info is great and much appreciated

and when i put em in individual pots should i use ffof or should i get a different mix also its only been out of the ground for about 6 days if it matters any
i just dont want them to die

btw these pics were taken with the light facing away from the plant as it was way to bright and you couldnt see anything if i left it where it was

bigbluntsmoker420 said:
i have the time money and patience for the hobby but i need the experience lol

so when i set up my 400 watt mh light what can i just blow a big fan on the light to keep it cool or do i have to vent it ?

all this info is great and much appreciated

and when i put em in individual pots should i use ffof or should i get a different mix also its only been out of the ground for about 6 days if it matters any
i just dont want them to die

You need to set up a grow space. A 400W is good for about 9 sq ft. Paint the walls flat white for good reflection. You need some kind of exhaust fan and an oscillating fan. Your intake can be passive, the oscillating fan will move the air around and help strengthen the stems, and the exhaust fan will take hot CO2 depleted air out of the space and bring in fresh air. Whether this will be enough is dependent on a number of factors.

Get different soil and get them into individual pots now.

ok so i decided to move the grow spot to my closet its a prtty nice space i bult shelves for stages and a couple of bars to set my light in as well as fans blowing on the light. i also put the plants in separate pots but i left em in ffof and they are goin back to normal again thanks guys for the help its approaching day 9 and all looks good .
here are some new pics

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Picture 006.jpg

Latest posts

Back