Herm Problems...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlo

Reaction score
I continue to have herm problems. I use a T5 4FT/6 bulb fluorescent lamp to vegetate in one room. Have 1 1000 watt HPS lamp with XXL Hood in flowering room. I have a 6' inline fan with charcoal filter for ventilation. Ventilation is attached to hood to reduce lamp heat. I use 1/2 Fox Farm Ocean Forest and 1/2 Coco Coir Block as soil. I use the Fox Farm products, 3 liquids and 3 soluble fertilizers. I follow the fox farm schedule, maybe a little less.

My last grow was Barney Farms Feminized Violator Kush, but they hermed. Some more than others. A few hardly did and others drastically hermed. I didn't throw them away. Other than having seeds, the smoke was pretty good. That being said, its not what I want to grow.

This time, I went with Reserva Privada feminized Purple Wreck & Barney Farms feminized LSD. After checking on them today, which is the end of week 3, some have hermed. One plant had a cluster of 'balls' that seem to have exploded.

I was hoping for a yield in about 6 weeks, but it's not going to happen. I just left everything as is and left frustrated as hell.

Do I just start over? If several hermed, can I expect for the rest, 7 more, to herm? Why is this happening?

Im pretty sure I dont have a light leak and the room temps are good. I bought the 6 pak of seeds for the Purple Wreck. I placed 5 in the flowering room. Kept the best one as a mother. I have the Purple Wreck & LSD moms vegetating, along with a few clones which are going well.

I'm pretty lost. My confidence in growing has been shaken...lol But, I have grown plants in the past that didnt herm. Last 2 cycles are not going so well.

Any thoughts?

could be the genetics....I know the LSD has a cross dresser...as long as your sure no light leaks and have had finished females then I would say Genetic makeup..my concern is.. "mothers/donors" you have..do ya think they are herm tend?...

lets bump this up:bong:

Sounds to me like he's growing all from seed. Don't think there are any mothers here. and I'm stumped on the issue. Only thing I can think of is stress from nutes or pH issues.

Im pretty sure I dont have a light leak

I would check to make sure I did not have any light leaks, not just pretty sure.

The first batch hermied, did you clean down the room good so no pollen in there for the second? Could the second batch be result of stray pollen?

getnasty said:
Sounds to me like he's growing all from seed. Don't think there are any mothers here. and I'm stumped on the issue. Only thing I can think of is stress from nutes or pH issues.

Kept the best one as a mother. I have the Purple Wreck & LSD moms vegetating, along with a few clones which are going well.

My problem here is that it appears 'everything' is going herm. In which case "I" would believe there is definitely an environmental issue contributing. Most likely light poisoning... There a cpl of methods to check that. you can either get inside of the grow room/box/tent with lights OFF in there, and lights ON outside of the room. Allow your eyes to adjust to the darkness and look for light getting in. Or if the box is too small for you to get into, turn you flowering lights ON, with the room outside dark and look for escaping light.
You aren't opening the door or interrupting the dark cycle in some other manner are you??

Carlo said:
I continue to have herm problems. I use a T5 4FT/6 bulb fluorescent lamp to vegetate in one room. Have 1 1000 watt HPS lamp with XXL Hood in flowering room. I have a 6' inline fan with charcoal filter for ventilation. Ventilation is attached to hood to reduce lamp heat. I use 1/2 Fox Farm Ocean Forest and 1/2 Coco Coir Block as soil. I use the Fox Farm products, 3 liquids and 3 soluble fertilizers. I follow the fox farm schedule, maybe a little less.

My last grow was Barney Farms Feminized Violator Kush, but they hermed. Some more than others. A few hardly did and others drastically hermed. I didn't throw them away. Other than having seeds, the smoke was pretty good. That being said, its not what I want to grow.

This time, I went with Reserva Privada feminized Purple Wreck & Barney Farms feminized LSD. After checking on them today, which is the end of week 3, some have hermed. One plant had a cluster of 'balls' that seem to have exploded.

I was hoping for a yield in about 6 weeks, but it's not going to happen. I just left everything as is and left frustrated as hell.

Do I just start over? If several hermed, can I expect for the rest, 7 more, to herm? Why is this happening?

Im pretty sure I dont have a light leak and the room temps are good. I bought the 6 pak of seeds for the Purple Wreck. I placed 5 in the flowering room. Kept the best one as a mother. I have the Purple Wreck & LSD moms vegetating, along with a few clones which are going well.

I'm pretty lost. My confidence in growing has been shaken...lol But, I have grown plants in the past that didnt herm. Last 2 cycles are not going so well.

Any thoughts?

Here was the first thing that popped out at me when I read your post: "... Barney Farms Feminized Violator Kush..."" and "... Reserva Privada feminized Purple Wreck & Barney Farms feminized LSD...".

Another thing was you saying that you are "pretty sure" that you do not have a light leak. You really need to be absolutely sure since this has occurred more than once.

I had a fem seed herm a little while ago. I NEVER get hermies. My room is really quite well dialed in. I know that I do not have light leaks. I did not interrupt the dark. It just simply hermied 3 weeks in. I have no other explanation than genetics.

I would suggest that you try some reg seeds.

Thanks alot guys. 1) I keep my house pretty clean, but I didn't completely sterilize everything. 2) My rooms, are actual bedrooms, so I have plenty of room to go in there and sit in the dark to see if any light is entering the room. I will do both of those things today.

Why do some plants hardly herm and others drastically herm, although they are growing in same conditions? Should I just get rid of these 10 plants? Is there anything in the veg. room that could be causing this?

I did change, for the last 2 grows, hps lamps, from 400 watt to 1000 watt, other than that everything is the same. As I stated, before these 2 grows, herms werent really prevalent, but did occur once in awhile.

Also, my brother and I are both growing these plants. My brother lost his job and has 'taken' over the growing these last 2 growing cycles, as I have a full-time job. I only help during the weekends. Being humble and listening to others are not his strengths. Could he be doing something wrong?

If some plants in the flowering room havent hermed yet, can I count on them herming with the ones that have already hermed? I'm trying to find out whether I should just start over or if theres a chance to save the ones that havent hermed.

I've only grown feminized seeds. If this problem isnt resolved, then I'll study on how to grow regular seeds.

I just wanted to inform and thank those of you who responded that I checked the flowering room & it was about 95% dark. As I let my eyes adjust, I noticed several light leaks. As I covered those light leaks, I could then notice even fainter light entering. That being said, I believe the room is 100% dark when lamp is off. I really hope this ends the HERM problem.

When growing outside, wouldn't the light from the moon and stars cause possible herm problems?

I want to switch from day to nite flowering. I currently run from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m... I want to switch to 7:pm to 7:am...In order to adjust the time, should I let the lamp run until 7:a.m. or leave off for over a day and begin at 7:p.m.? Which is the better transition?

I'd shut her down until 7pm so as not to make the gal think it's wanting to start vegging again....but someone with better knowledge might correct my thought.

sounds like you found your issue..:aok:

I like to change my times dureing the dark cycle....better let them be in dark more than light when flowering...I like to run my lights 7am-7pm for the night time is cooler air and easier to manage the heat...as for the others herming..that will have to see...if they stressed all ready chances are they will...and if its in the genetics then fo sure they will herm...watch them close and good luck

Latest posts

Back