Herm question...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlo

Reaction score
If a plant during the vegetation stage begins to sex and shows it is a 100% female without any herm issues, then if the plant would herm during the flowering stage, does that mean that the grower did something wrong during the flowering stage?

Yes. Most commonly, the grower has a light leak. Ideally, you don't want any light leaving the cracks of your grow area. This means no light's going to get in when the lights are off. If that lights are off, and you leave the cfl in your overhead light on, or whatever the circumstance may be - sunlight through a window, etc - the light gets inside your grow space, and can cause your plant to herm.

Carlo said:
If a plant during the vegetation stage begins to sex and shows it is a 100% female without any herm issues, then if the plant would herm during the flowering stage, does that mean that the grower did something wrong during the flowering stage?

No.. it does not 'necessarily' reflect grower error. In fact, IME... they seldom show thmselves in preflowers/veg, Light leaks/stress "can" promote them, but a hermi can start showing stamen at any time, if genetically inclined.

Hick said:
No.. it does not 'necessarily' reflect grower error. In fact, IME... they seldom show thmselves in preflowers/veg, Light leaks/stress "can" promote them, but a hermi can start showing stamen at any time, if genetically inclined.
That, too. Not necessarily, I guess is the best terminology to use. REad around here long enough and you'll learn that some strains are prone to Hermy'ing, and seeds produced from a hermed plant will have a stronger tendency to herm when grown than male pollenated females. But light leaks are the most common error, when it comes down to grower error. On the other hand, if you've got a herm, unless your grow space is light tight, you can't know for sure if it was genetics or light leaks.

Carlo said:

Unfortunately, the appearance of female preflowers in veg does not mean that it is 100% female. I have never known of hermies showing both sexes while in veg. This is something that shows up once you have gotten into flowering.

I recently had a plant hermie on me. It was a freebie fem I got with my last Attitude order. None of the other 8 plants in the closet showed any signs of nanners. I absolutely believe that it was the genetics and not something I did wrong.

That was another question: why do I find that some plants have hermed while others have not? They're grown in same environment.

Carlo said:
That was another question: why do I find that some plants have hermed while others have not? They're grown in same environment.
weak genetics, poor breeding, where 'd ya get the seeds?
by failing to 'selectively' choose plants that 'resist' the hermie trait for parent plants, you/they have essentially bred 'in favor' of that trait.

are these subfool seeds:rofl:

its in the genetics:doh:

Latest posts

Back