hermie

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmanfl

Reaction score
A few questions. Iv'e got 12 plants that have been in flower for 44 days and 4 plants look like they are forming seeds. I think a timer for 1 light kept the light on for 2 days straight about 10 days ago. I think the light being on turned the plants hermie but Iv'e never seen any pollen sacks and i have looked closely. These plants need anywhere from 10 to 20 days to finish since they are 2 different strains. Should i just let them finish and take what i get or cut early? Why didn't i see any pollen sacks? What about future grows in that room?

Pictures, pictures, pictures, please. Without pictures to tell the story, not much of a story. The people in the know will want pictures to help them take a look see.

Are you sure you know what you are looking for? The nanners that pop out on hermies can look quite different than the pollen sacks you get on a full blown male. They are usually a very light yellow and banana shaped, rather than the football type shape of pollen sacks. Nanners can, though, hide inside the buds and not be visible at all.

Were these bagseed?

THG, no it's not bag seed. they are fem seeds, SAGE and Critical. I have looked at pics of nanners and looked inside of buds and just haven't seen them. The buds look pretty good. the colas are at least 12" long and very close to the diameter of a beer can. The critical should finish in 10 days and the sage will be 20 days. I'm thinking just to let them finish or cut the plants that are showing seed pods now. I have 6 other plants in that room also that are 15 days into flower so i'm also worried about them. I think i need to move it all out and clean the room at some point just don't know when to do it. I can't post pics at this time and i understand with no pics it makes it hard to give advice. will post pics as soon as i can.

View attachment DSCN0037.JPG

Last edited:
You say that it looks like they have seed pods....have you actually seen seeds? A swollen non-pollinated calyx looks like a seedpod.

check out the pic i added and see what you think. no i haven't seen seeds on them yet but i think i will pretty soon. This is the first time growing for me so i don't have any experince but i have other plants in the room to compare them to and i can see the difference between the ones with pods and the others.

Doesnt look like seeds to me. Look all over the plants for pollen sacs. I dont think its anything to worry about.

I hope you are right. They look like they are going to be seeds to me and the plants that have what I call seed pods seem to have quit progressing in flowering. The pic isn't very clear but in person they look alot like seeds. Thanks for the advice

within 20 days your fine. I too see what looks like calaxes swelling

Break a couple of buds open if it makes you feel better. I would def want to isolate the hermie before it wrecks your grow.

They look like they are going to be seeds to be also. At this point, there is little you can do. Some fems are not very stable and the light could have caused them to hermie. It would be hard to isolate a plant that is producing pollen and it doesn't sound like you really know what plant it is. You may just have to wait this one out. Your grow room will require a very thorough cleaning to remove any stray pollen after this grow is through.

Goddess, I think you are correct about the light because all the plants with seeds are under the light that sayed on. The seeds came fronm T. H. Seeds and they all sprouted and all were female. I'm not going to blame the hermies on their seed stability. I blame it on the grower. There are 6 other plants that have only been in the room for 15 days so do you think those 6 plants will get seeds also. I guess my question is at what point should I clean the room? Also all these plants are in a flo n grow system so they are all connected togeather. I've got 12 more in veg that are ready to go into flower but I need to stop sometime and clean everything. You know how sometimes it's hard to find the answer when you're to involved thats where I'm at with it.

You say that it looks like they have seed pods....have you actually seen seeds? A swollen non-pollinated calyx looks like a seedpod.

:yeahthat: + Rep

There are actually tiny undeveloped seeds in those calyx's that don't do anything unless fertilized. Only then do they develop into seeds.

Like cukes or zukes, the female flowers have a tiny fruit behind the blossom. They only develop if fertilized by a male flower.

Let the plants run till the end.

Quit messing with femmed seeds.

Wet

Hey Wet why do you not like femmed seeds? Because they have to many problems. Where I bought them I think that was all they sold. Next time I'll try regular seeds. I'm not married to anything or any method when it comes to growing. I'm flexable and willing to put my time in but just don't want to go down to many dead ends.

You answered the question with the second sentence.

I have little regard for auto's also.

If you garden, I think of auto's and femmed seeds like I do of hybrids/GMO seeds vs open pollinated (heirloom), seeds.

It's an attitude or way of life sort of thing, I guess. Coming of age in the 60's might of had something to do with it. :rant::guitar:

Wet

While I generally agree with Wetdog, I have to say that I personally do not class hybrids and GMO things in the same category. With hybrids we are just crossing different strains of the same plant. The GMO thing genetically modifies plants with really undesirable things--way different than say, letting a Larry OG and a Satori cavort together to make a Satori/OG cross. Crosses are most often made with open pollination crosses. I believe that the cannabis industry has benefited by the hybridization of strains, except when they do something like cross it with ruderalis. To me anything that weakens the genetics is not desirable. To take ditch weed and cross it with quality genetics to make it easier to grow is, IMO, a sin and a blight on the betterment of cannabis genetics in general. Not crazy about what they do to plants to make fem seeds either....

THG, you are absolutely right. As usual, I didn't explain myself. I was thinking of some hybrids in my seed catalogs that either would not propagate, or the seeds would be sterile. You would need to buy fresh seeds every time you wanted to grow that particular veggie.

Indeed, my favorite tomato, Mortgage Lifter, is now considered an heirloom but was a hybrid back in the late 1920's when it was developed.

I'm with you 420% with the Ruderalis. I guess the instant gratification breeds stupidity, because why else would you reduce the potency of whatever strain by 50% in order to save a couple of weeks? I have a quote from a 1988 S.S.S.C. catalog about ruderalis, but it would violate the language restrictions. A definite degradation of genetics.

No need to even touch on femmed seeds here, it would be preaching to the choir.

Wet

Latest posts

Back