Hermies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
Hello MP friends. I had a light leak situation in a greenhouse from building lights. The lights are far away but I noticed that they are numerous and are ending up giving significant light into my greenhouse. at about 20 days into flowering, I noticed hermies on one strain, 3plants out of 9 total. I placed reflecting shades over the plants during the night and pulled out all the hermies. It has been 5 days since then and I am inspecting the plants thoroughly every day, removed most preflowers to help spot any nanners and the plants are trimmed very neatly which helps me to spot any balls. I removed about 20 hermies per plant and since then i am not able to detect any new ones forming. I am taking a risk but it is worth it since this strain is my OG kush and is looking really good. I grew it multiple times and it never before hermed on me, besides, the light leak was obvious. My concern now is to prevent hermies from growing inside the bud itself. So far the only ones i detected were preflowers. Any tips or previous experience with a similar situation could help me. Cheers!

My Jackie O hermed on me late in flower.....Only other time I have had a Herm problem is when I try and run over 80 days. I did have some issues with a humidifier in the flower tent because the humidifier went dry and a red light came on. Had that happen a few times so I pulled the humidifier and haven't had issues since. Wish I could be of more help.

Not much you can do besides continue to be vigilant, plucking as you see, or chop and restart. Sorry to hear about that! You may be lucky and they were sterile. How are are stigma? Do they look pollinated (orange and shriveled)?

P.s. I believe you mean "male flowers" and not "hermies" - just a slight distinction. "Hermie" is a type of plant, like saying "picking an indica off the plant". You cant pick a hermie off of a plant, but you can pick male flowers from a female plant

Good luck with the run. Hope it stays sinsemilla

Not much you can do besides continue to be vigilant, plucking as you see, or chop and restart. Sorry to hear about that! You may be lucky and they were sterile. How are are stigma? Do they look pollinated (orange and shriveled)?

P.s. I believe you mean "male flowers" and not "hermies" - just a slight distinction. "Hermie" is a type of plant, like saying "picking an indica off the plant". You cant pick a hermie off of a plant, but you can pick male flowers from a female plant

Good luck with the run. Hope it stays sinsemilla
Agreed, a lot of the herms are not viable.

I've had plant that have hermied on me and all I could do was to snatch off any offending parts that grew on the female...at 20 days I'd say your fight is all uphill and will worsen with time...all it takes is one pollen sack to pop and it's good night babies...if you are able to mist the plants on a regular basis the pollen wont be able to go airborne...then you gotta watch out for PM...

I've had plant that have hermied on me and all I could do was to snatch off any offending parts that grew on the female...at 20 days I'd say your fight is all uphill and will worsen with time...all it takes is one pollen sack to pop and it's good night babies...if you are able to mist the plants on a regular basis the pollen wont be able to go airborne...then you gotta watch out for PM...
I am hopeful that i will be able to eliminate the pollen sacks but I don't believe that just one pollen sack will ruin 9 plants, rather would cause a seed here and there. I think that it would take quite a few pollen sacks to burst on each plant to ruin my grow right?

I shaded the plants manually and i am researching light dep automated systems. Light Dep Solutions company has a nice system but it does not fit on my greenhouse because it needs an exterior extension arm so i need a system that is inside the greenhouse frame. The ones in market are for big greenhouses with iron rails pulleys and rotating parts, insane overkill for my small area. I am trying to find something suitable. Thanks!

pollen is a fine as frogs hair, atiny amount can cpver a lot of area...big would be the gu to ask, he's outdoors and has seen what that stuff can do...indoors fans spread it as well...

I have been inspecting them thoroughly for the past week and covering them every night. Gladly I am not finding new pollen sacks. I removed most of the female preflowers at the base of internodes because it helps me to see better and new pollen sacks. So far i the pollen sacks that i found were always at the areas where preflowers form and none found inside the buds yet. If they start popping inside bud tops, i am cutting all 3 plants to salvage the other 6. I am still hopeful about them though.

Reactions: boo
So I harvested a few days ago. It is a good harvest and i was successful at eliminating the hermies problem by covering them during the dark and plucking away the pollen sacks that grew initially. I was surprised at how fast they stopped growing. like as soon as i had them covered i only found a few ones after 3 to 4 days and after that they stopped growing. The plants were very much worth saving and i am happy i did this. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back