Hey guys, Semi-1st time grower, Need some advice..fast!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Lotus

God Of Thunder
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im just now actually trying to grow some decent weed from
some decent seeds I got from some decent weed. alright? Ive had
5 foot plants before, But mostly just by putting one in the ground outside,
and one time in a 5 gal bucket with regular dirt from outside.... Now IM trying to actually grow something that isnt going to completely suck for my own enjoyment. To hell with buying weed, I dont have the overhead for that:D

Im shooting for something in the 3ft range, Little on the bushy side.
Heres what I have now, I AM on a budget, And Im not looking to be
a power grower... but This is what I need advice on at the moment.
I know this isnt going to be enough for 6 plants, or even 3 maybe..But
Its what I have right now for the seedlings.. Just added 3 more pots
to make it 6. A couple still need to sprout since they germinated a little
later....
24" long GE ecolux plant/aquarium light. Fluorescent
750 lumens and just 20 fluorescent watts.
(Edit:) Im using Miracle Grow ORGANIC soil, and easy water containers. (\edit)
Pics of it:

Now I dont have the money to go out and spend alot on a big lighting
system, Its also in my apartment on the top floor. Id like to keep
a tube light setup if possible, Maybe another 24" holder and plant light?

For now Since they are just sprouting I have some tin foil under and a little above the light, to try and maximize the use of the light I have right now, But I need to know what I should be looking for in the 24" range
as far as bulbs go, And will another light, Over the other 3 be enough?

I want to stick with Fluorescent due to ventilation and such, I dont have
room to be rigging up any fans and all that stuff. Inside the closet it
stays a nice warm temp like a normal 77 degree day. Only place in the
apartment that does that. Because I keep the AC set low. I like it cold.

Someone lead me in the right direction please! I dont want them
getting all week due to my 1 light in the middle with some tin foil up haha.
Thanks guys for the help:48:

EDIT
photobucket links removed

SITE RULES <---click
7. Please try to post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as eight pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them.

photobuk.jpg

ha ya remind me of myself 2 years ago i lived in north myrtle beach ashley apt.
very nice, there was 6 cops living in the same building as i was, i grew 12 off the flo lights, in bathroom!!!! i got some pics i can show u later, but grow with flo, isnt enough since you are on budget, what i did in my past, i needs sun, sun helps it grow, im still using sun to help my plants grow today, its really not smart to grow in apt, but keep it urself please!! myself when i grew in apt, im very paranoid!! one person know, then other, then 5 then 10 people ****!

flo lights is alright, until veg stage, take em to outside hide in forest near your apt building, but keep eyes on em, dogs cats can be around, etc, prolly its better off for you to find right place for your plants, avoid all possible for you to be safer than be sorry also prevent plants from too much rains outside too really to answer all that question you gotta have better place to have em grow.

Sweet looking sprouts. Nice Avitar.lol.

I would since your new to growing switch Fox Farms Ocean Forest soil just my opion.... Look at my grow journal see how big they are. MG soil is sterilized not natural nutes but mans chemicals. Just my opion.

man...you need MORE lights. figure you need 5000 lumen per sq.ft. You can get this out of floros. try: 1000bulbs . com to just get some research in. daylight for veg, soft white for flower then you can prolly get what you need at the hardware store.

you need a fan too whether you want one or not. get that air movin so those stems get strong, and they have fresh air to breath.

some people have luck with MG soil, some don't. I'm one that didn't...

is it really 77 in there? get a thermometer so you don't cook em. keep it below 90 preferably in that 77 range you've mentioned...

good luck!!

jarrett.simmons said:
ha ya remind me of myself 2 years ago i lived in north myrtle beach ashley apt.
very nice, there was 6 cops living in the same building as i was, i grew 12 off the flo lights, in bathroom!!!! i got some pics i can show u later, but grow with flo, isnt enough since you are on budget, what i did in my past, i needs sun, sun helps it grow, im still using sun to help my plants grow today, its really not smart to grow in apt, but keep it urself please!! myself when i grew in apt, im very paranoid!! one person know, then other, then 5 then 10 people ****!

Hey bro, Thanks for the replies. I agree, SUN is the best light. But... Forests, and trees, are a no go around here. Its in the city, Surrounded by a mall, and miniature golf courses, And couple other apartments. No woods really in sight. And Im the only one who knows, I keep a low pro
and dont advertise it. Mainly because they could use it against me, Or
want free weed if/when the buds come in nicely. Then I wont have any for myself! That room is never gone into, And I dont let maintainance in
to change my filters either, I just change my own to keep them out, Plus
they use shitty filters anyway haha.

So Ive definatly gotta do something about getting more light
on these babies without having to pay for a big HPS setup.:holysheep:

Hey Iron Lotus nice to have you and what not. First things first we got to get your lighting sorted. If you can't afford an HPS then you are going to need to at least get some CFL's going in there. 750 lumens is nowhere close to where you need to be and your babies are going to start stretching hard so that needs to get fixed asap. For now 3 or 4 of the highest wattage highest lumen output (it will say on the package) cool white bulbs are what you are going to need at a minimum to veg those girls. You can get all that stuff at any hardware store or Zellers or Walmart or Target etc, basically everywhere.

Your soil is your choice lots of people avoid MG like the plague but I'm a hydro guy and got only my mom's in dirt. Personally I use pro mix with a bit of coco coir but everyone has their own magic formula. Drainage is key. The problem with MG soil is that it has nutrients in it already so you have no idea what is going to happen if you add more nutrients to the mix and lots of people end up with nutrient burn.

Ok next thing I would do is find some scraps of wood and build yourself a grow box plants have a way of wrecking your nice carpets :p. Plus you will get better use out of your lights if they are in a smaller enclosed area with even just white paint on the walls of the grow box. Bang a couple fans in there and you're set.

If you are serious about trying to grow your own high quality smoke then you need to start doing some reading and fast because your babies aren't going to stop growing just because you aren't ready for them. Look through all the stickies in the forums and you should be a pro in no time.

One Love
Tater

benamucc said:
man...you need MORE lights. figure you need 5000 lumen per sq.ft. You can get this out of floros. try: 1000bulbs . com to just get some research in. daylight for veg, soft white for flower then you can prolly get what you need at the hardware store.

you need a fan too whether you want one or not. get that air movin so those stems get strong, and they have fresh air to breath.

some people have luck with MG soil, some don't. I'm one that didn't...

is it really 77 in there? get a thermometer so you don't cook em. keep it below 90 preferably in that 77 range you've mentioned...

good luck!!
I know, I do need more light. Thats my problem, I really cant be buying
a HPS setup, I wish they just had bulbs you can put in clip on
sockets. Fluros seem to be the best choice for me, but I need
some more lumens, More light all together. And I probably need it
within the next week I suppose, Heres what I Did to hold me until
I decide what to do......... PIcs are of the 4 sprouts, 2 just popped
havent came above soil yet. I also used the "pinch" method
on the 3 taller ones main stems. The tin foil is ghetto but helps
me get more light in the smaller area at the moment......
EDIT

I am going to check out that site you reccomended for the bulbs.
So I dont need a certain "plant light". Just a high powered
daylight fluro bulb, then a soft white fluro bulb for the flowering process?

It is right around 77 degrees in there. Maybe more like 78.
Its the perfect room I thought for the temperature, And I will
also set up a small fan in there to circulate air. Got one of those
sitting around, My main focus here is getting good light before
its too late... Any more help is highly appreciated guys..

Thanks bro's, Best forum ive come across:D

Just to give you an idea on what to expect with Fluroescent tubes, here is a plant that I grew using six 2-foot (20 Watt) Flo tubes a couple of years ago. I used "Cool Whites" for Veg and "Warm Whites" for Flowering.

Before_the_chop.jpg

Got a total of 19 grams.

Like Tater just said, you will get better results using CFLs instead.

Tater said:
you are going to need to at least get some CFL's going in there. 750 lumens is nowhere close to where you need to be and your babies are going to start stretching hard so that needs to get fixed asap. For now 3 or 4 of the highest wattage highest lumen output (it will say on the package) cool white bulbs are what you are going to need at a minimum to veg those girls. You can get all that stuff at any hardware store or Zellers or Walmart or Target etc, basically everywhere.

If you are serious about trying to grow your own high quality smoke then you need to start doing some reading and fast because your babies aren't going to stop growing just because you aren't ready for them. Look through all the stickies in the forums and you should be a pro in no time.

One Love
Tater

Hey tater,,, I have been reading alot. Great info, Too bad I planted before I read. haha. I will have to stick with MG soil for now, For this crop
at least because I paid for it and If I dont use it it will go to waste.
I cross my fingers on the nutrient burn when the time comes.

So you say I should get some cool white for veg. And warm white for Flowering stages? With the Big selection of lights in the light section
this can get confusing, Anybody want to get more specific with these
lights. 4 lights with the highest lumen rating, cool white, I wont be able
to do a grow box where Im at right now, I wouldnt be able to walk in
the storage room lol. Plus I need some light sockets now right, What kind
are best but not too expensive, The metal ones that look like a little
sattelite? Or just sockets and lights.

Also, with 4 lights, and 6 containers, Where should I position the lights?
Thanks for the help, I AM reading alot... its still a little confusing and
I figure I can use more specific help for my specific application. Hope
nobody is gettin annoyed:holysheep:

Later Tonight or tomorrow I hope to get something going besides
my little tube light. :fid:

Im still stumped.

I need 4 or 6... 1 over each plant.

If I get 6... Would these work for the first stage until
im ready for flowering? I would hang each from adjustable
string over a plant......

http://www.1000bulbs.com/15-Watt-Compact-Fluorescent-CFL-6500-Kelvin-Full-Spectrum/

They range from kelvins too... Maybe one of these per plant? But dont know
which number would be best.......
http://www.1000bulbs.com/13-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/

Reccomend me the best spectrum. I figure I dont need AS many lumens if I use one per plant
instead of say 4 for the whole thing.

Thanks

higher kelvins for veg lower for flower. the plants want the blue spectrum in veg, and more red in flower...

remember...lumens are amount of output, calvin is color scale. 5000L / sqFT and get as many as you can into that space.

ALSO!!.... 1/2 gal per ft of growth you want for your pots. they'll go 2 ft + in flower.

I didnt' read enough before I planted my first. if you have some seeds sit on them till you really get it figured out!!

good luck

If you wanting to stick wiht flos id suggest going with the G.E. daylight 40w tubes they have a lumen of 3050/bulb if you go to any home depot you can get them for $5 for 2 bulbs and they also have ballasts for them about $9 each for the dual bulb ballasts. Go with the daylight bulbs for veg (6500K) and the kitchen and bath bulbs (or warm white) for flower (3000K and 2700K) for flower. I ran a set up with the bulbs mixed, 4 ballasts one of each style of bulb/ballast 2 over the top and one on each side for better side lighting. Totals were 320w 25800 lumen had that in a 1.5x4 area and grew just fine, averaged out to about 4300 lumen/sqft.

Dubbaman said:
If you wanting to stick wiht flos id suggest going with the G.E. daylight 40w tubes they have a lumen of 3050/bulb if you go to any home depot you can get them for $5 for 2 bulbs and they also have ballasts for them about $9 each for the dual bulb ballasts. Go with the daylight bulbs for veg (6500K) and the kitchen and bath bulbs (or warm white) for flower (3000K and 2700K) for flower. I ran a set up with the bulbs mixed, 4 ballasts one of each style of bulb/ballast 2 over the top and one on each side for better side lighting. Totals were 320w 25800 lumen had that in a 1.5x4 area and grew just fine, averaged out to about 4300 lumen/sqft.

Well whichever I try, It seems for VEG. the higher the K the better, the
more lumens the better, Weather its a tube fluro, or a cfl... I will
see what I can come up with tonight and report back...

Would 2 of those GE's you speak of work as well as
1 CFL per light would??

Okay, Got 1 for each light tonight... It was the best they had.... And some sockets......
EDIT]
Specs are definatly better than what my 24" tube light is.
These are each 1,750 lumens. 26 watt (100)
GE energy smart.

How close should I hang them to the top of each plant???
Thanks, I plan on setting them up tomorrow.

You can hang those within inches of your plant, just don't let them touch because the higher wattage bulbs will burn your plant trust me I know lol. Kelvins are not a measurement of colour they are a measurement of heat. So the kelvin rating on a bulb would be how much heat it produces. Cool white bulbs are the spectrum you are looking for for veg they produce a light that looks "white" for lack of a better description while the bulbs used for flowering will put off a light that looks more orange. This is because of the difference in spectrums but is outside the scope of this thread. I mix and match my bulbs, I do mine in groups of three (thats just me) with two cool white and one warm bulb for veg. Hang them as close as you can, becareful with that many sockets make sure you are safe. Personally I use vulcanized rubber sockets from the hardware store that are meant for wet locations, they cost more (3 bucks each or so) but the peace of mind is worth it for me.

No one is getting annoyed and I'm sorry if you thought I was chastising you with that post. I really wasn't I just wanted to express the wealth of information available on the site. Good luck in your grow you should be fine especially with the power of MP behind you :p

One Love
Tater

Alright, With these lights, I will also make a couple panels in a week or so
that i can easily break down. I'll put the reflective material on the panels, So each panel will have it. Nothing major...

So with these lights what should my hours be?
I want around ~3 ft tall, And I will top them
a couple times to keep them bushy.

Leave them on all the time?

For your hours I would say go with an 6/18 (six hours off, eighteen on) light schedule until you are ready to flower and then put them on a 12/12. That has always worked best for me, or if you want you can put them on a 24/0 as well, but I have always felt it helps the plant more to have some time to recharge and rest.

pussum said:
For your hours I would say go with an 6/18 (six hours off, eighteen on) light schedule until you are ready to flower and then put them on a 12/12. That has always worked best for me, or if you want you can put them on a 24/0 as well, but I have always felt it helps the plant more to have some time to recharge and rest.

Hey well theyve been on all hoooked up now, 1.5 to 2 inches from each plant. I have them wired in series, and the connections are good,
and ive seen no problems from the wiring. THey are each adjustable since
I have a couple late growers. 1 is just coming up about to open, and the other I can see the little bit of light green coming through the soil. I also
"pinched" each stem of the ones that were up, and where they stretched
from the old light, I lightly pushed the dirt down a little, and put more dirt
in to build it up around the top of the plant.

Theyve been under the lights for about 24 hours. In a few I may cut
them off and let them go 6 hours with darkness and start them
on the 18/6 schedule. I notice the extra lighting, Makes the soil
dryer faster. How often should I water, I usually just pour water
in the bottom of these pots and it soaks up through the soil the excess
stays in the resevoir... I assume this is safe to keep me from over watering, Sometimes I mist the tops of the plants with clean water also.

Click the thumbnails to view, I was trying a different camera
setting. (my cam isnt that great, 8.1 megapixel Cyber Shot)..
so the pics look alot less brighter than it really is, Its like bright
white. The pics look a little yellow or something and alot less bright,
I think the camera setting counteracted the brightness and automatically
toned it down alot for the pics.. anyway heres
what I have going on for now...
EDIT
The chords arent close to the containers like they look, I assure you it isnt as
mad as it looks from the angle. Its pretty clean looking when your staring at it
especially for the time and money it took to do it... Its not the best but Its
better than what I had thats for sure!

So Guys, Whats the next step?
Keep em on a schedule and dont let them dry up is all I can think of right now. I keep the lights about 1.5" from the top of the plants. Im not sure
if I should try taking off the ends of the leaves, or pinching something
off to help vegetation. I already pinched the main stem before I made
the dirt level higher on 3 of em. Thanks for the help everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: Im startin to get excited now:holysheep:

It is ok to let the plants get dry. If the soil around the roots stays wet constantly and doesn't dry the roots will start to rott out. You can water them any way you like, but I prefer watering from the top down. Once the soil is dry about an inch and a half deep from the top it is usually time to water again.

Latest posts

Back