Hey people, just starting out, but want to make sure I do this part right the first time, so I only have myself to blame, not the equipment.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67Cuda

Reaction score
I’m looking to go DWC, super cropping for the best possible individual plant and harvest, honing my skills, and I’m looking for the best light part of this equation. Possibly 5X5 or bigger room, possibly bigger. I don’t want to limit it’s growth potential. What are your suggestions ? I’ve been going out of my mind wondering if my decision on my own will be under-kill, or over-kill ? And what about the new Phillips RO, and HO bar lights, as well as the new Optic slims ?

Hey Cuda. Welcome! We need more info. Are you going to be growing in a tent or an open room? Biggest question, what's your budget? Is this your first grow? You say that you wonder if your decision is overkill--why don't you tell us what you're thinking and we can help steer you from there.
Keep it green!

4X5 closet with a 9’ ceiling first. The budget, I’ll go as far as what’s best. Up to 1500 I guess. Not exactly my first grow, but my first attempt to get it right, and on the right path in DWC. I can grow anything, but haven’t tried this yet. I’m trying to design first, no matter what that entails. I want to try to bypass the stupid mistakes people make by trying to blindly think for themselves when they don’t have the proper tools built up to achieve it yet.

It’s posted in the coffee table, I believe that’s what it was labeled ?

Hey Cuda. Welcome! We need more info. Are you going to be growing in a tent or an open room? Biggest question, what's your budget? Is this your first grow? You say that you wonder if your decision is overkill--why don't you tell us what you're thinking and we can help steer you from there.
Keep it green!
Good man to listen too , we will all chime in at some point

Keep it green!
Actually, I’ve got two closets next to each other, the same size. The first step would be a flower, and a veg room, while I try to design and buil a bigger, better, situation. Possibly in the basement to keep temps down.

Dwc is great!
Takes a lot more attention than a soil grow though.
If you are just starting I would suggest a small soil start just to get the fundamentals down.
Lightning, ventilation, are key though in whatever you decide to do.
I started cheap but have had way better results with good equipment.

Cuda -- that sounds very doable within your budget.

Since your set on DWC, you need to invest in good meters. I personally can recommend Apera meters; specifically the PH60 and the EC6Ó.

You're going to need quote a bit of light for a room that size. I'd recommend at a minimum 30w of LEDs per square foot. So at a minimum 600w. That's gonna eat up a large chunk of your budget, but don't skimp on the lights.

Also make sure to budget for a carbon filter, extraction fan, clip on fans, airstones, air pumps, submersible pump(s), nutrients, humidifier, dehumidifier, and lots of other odds and ends. You may also find that you need an air conditioner to keep the temperature in check.

Just some things to consider. We're happy to help more and provide specifics if you would like.

Dwc is great!
Takes a lot more attention than a soil grow though.
If you are just starting I would suggest a small soil start just to get the fundamentals down.
Lightning, ventilation, are key though in whatever you decide to do.
I started cheap but have had way better results with good equipment.
Soil down, now I want to control every aspect of the grow through DWC. Learn the ins and outs intimately. The lights I want to make sure that no matter what, they’re not throwaways, and can be used in different situations. Adjustable would be nice. What about Photontek, or Optic ?

Cuda -- that sounds very doable within your budget.

Since your set on DWC, you need to invest in good meters. I personally can recommend Apera meters; specifically the PH60 and the EC6Ó.

You're going to need quote a bit of light for a room that size. I'd recommend at a minimum 30w of LEDs per square foot. So at a minimum 600w. That's gonna eat up a large chunk of your budget, but don't skimp on the lights.

Also make sure to budget for a carbon filter, extraction fan, clip on fans, airstones, air pumps, submersible pump(s), nutrients, humidifier, dehumidifier, and lots of other odds and ends. You may also find that you need an air conditioner to keep the temperature in check.

Just some things to consider. We're happy to help more and provide specifics if you would like.
Well, that’s just per light budget, not my whole budget. I don’t want to get to nuts, but go cheap, and you get cheap results, mostly, right ?

Soil down, now I want to control every aspect of the grow through DWC. Learn the ins and outs intimately. The lights I want to make sure that no matter what, they’re not throwaways, and can be used in different situations. Adjustable would be nice. What about Photontek, or Optic ?
Heard good about photontek here but I run spider farmer and mats hydro.
I think roster has photontek.

Cuda -- I've grown in soil and hydroponics, often simultaneously. I much prefer hydroponic grows because I can control everything that's going in. There aren't 'unknowns' like there are in soil grows. You do have to be diligent and not be afraid to take lots of measurements. Once you get it down, you may find it easier and more predictable than growing in soil.

I don't have any experience with either of those brands of lights. You may consider looking in to Mars Hydro products as they're a forum sponsor. Use code 'marijuanapassion' for a discount if you decide to order from them directly. I've used a few of their products and have been wholly satisfied. Their FC8000 or FCE8000 would fit your needs.

Heard good about photontek here but I run spider farmer and mats hydro.
I think roster has photontek.
I like the possibilities thos two have, but haven’t seen any results, nor the new Phillips RO, and HO bars either, though they don’t seem dimmable ? I’m interested in enough adjustable power and color range to test theories out on, as well as if you’re running a powerful unit on lower settings, they tend to last longer.

I cannot change light spectrums on either the spider farmer or mars hydro lights.
I personally have had better results with a sf4000 in a 4x4 than in my other tent with 2 mars hydro so 3000 but I am still playing with that tent as well.
I started with 2 viper spectra 1000 watts in my 2x4. Those have adjustable light spectrums and had good results.

Attachments

• 8D49EA7A-D682-475B-909F-D529642B8817.jpeg
    8D49EA7A-D682-475B-909F-D529642B8817.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3
  • BF7DD7D4-DF69-4D61-A006-50D035D65D0E.jpeg
    BF7DD7D4-DF69-4D61-A006-50D035D65D0E.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 4
  • A0B6165F-80FB-4728-A25A-B2B643CCAF83.jpeg
    A0B6165F-80FB-4728-A25A-B2B643CCAF83.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 5
Cuda -- I've grown in soil and hydroponics, often simultaneously. I much prefer hydroponic grows because I can control everything that's going in. There aren't 'unknowns' like there are in soil grows. You do have to be diligent and not be afraid to take lots of measurements. Once you get it down, you may find it easier and more predictable than growing in soil.

I don't have any experience with either of those brands of lights. You may consider looking in to Mars Hydro products as they're a forum sponsor. Use code 'marijuanapassion' for a discount if you decide to order from them directly. I've used a few of their products and have been wholly satisfied. Their FC8000 or FCE8000 would fit your needs.
I agree on the DWC, which is why I’m seeking it. I’ve got water and wastewater experience, so the lab isn’t out of my abilities. I’ve watched many videos, and comparisons with mars, and still find it iffy, and for the price, not as adjustable as others near the price range. That’s why the Optic slim’s and Photontek new one, or even HLG scorpion, though I know the least about the HGL company other than it’s USA.

I cannot change light spectrums on either the spider farmer or mars hydro lights.
I personally have had better results with a sf4000 in a 4x4 than in my other tent with 2 mars hydro so 3000 but I am still playing with that tent as well.
I started with 2 viper spectra 1000 watts in my 2x4. Those have adjustable light spectrums and had good results.
Looks good by the way. Sorry I forgot too throw you a compliment on the achievements.

Latest posts

Back