Hhhheeeerrrrmmmmiiiieeeee!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DillaWilla

Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek: Help Please to the folks who have dealt with this before...Here are my questions:

How do I know for sure it is a hermie, and not just a male???...I feel like I definitely identified one for sure male because it definitely had "Ballls"growing out of the nodes and the flowers looked like clumps of balls with no Pistils (I killed it). On my female there is definitely many pistils forming together to make a flower and definitely no "Balls"...However on my 3rd plant some nodes look like male flowers developing with no Pistils and some of the higher nodes look like there are Pistils and "Balls" together:confused: , is this a hermie???

Next Question:

Is it worth it to even keep the hermie if I have other female plants? I dont want to risk pollinating my brood of women...I pulled up my britches today and axed a sure male, should I put the hermie on the chopping block as well??:mad: I only have room for 3-4 females and have 2 in veg right now that are almost ready to go in...

How hard is it to keep a hermie from pollinating??? Can hermies pollinate a crop???

Your help is appreciated:rolleyes:

Peace Out and GG

well dillwilla, i was faced with this same dillima,but i got luckly and no hermie. ofcourse hermies will pollinate your females. there is a way to suppress the pollination, and that is to moniter the hermie each day and cut off the male pollin sacks when noticed. good luck with it. and if the hermie does pollinate your femles , those seeds will 99% be hermies. so they're no good.

However on my 3rd plant some nodes look like male flowers developing with no Pistils and some of the higher nodes look like there are Pistils and "Balls" together , is this a hermie???
...sure sounds like one. If it is expressing both sex's, it is one.
The risk of pollination is high. Snipping off every male flower before it sheds a spec of pollen is difficult, at best.(1 spec of pollen+1 pistill=1 seed) I wouldn't risk it in most cases.

Ok here is what I am thinking....and by the way Tallslim and Hick, thanks for the quick response. I want to remove the hermie completely away from the females, but would it be worth it to establish another quarantined grow area for just the hermie so I could at least benefit from the bud that it will yield? My next question is; Is the bud from a hermie even worth it, is it quality and just seedy or all together crapola??? That question leads me to my next question which may sound a little bizarre; Of my 4 Misty plants currently in veg, 3 are definitely showing female pre-flowers and the one that was showing male pre-flowers now has female pistils showning on the new growth very similar to the one in 12/12 that is a hermie....Can a MJ plant hermie in veg????? If that is the case I would have two hermies and would not be hard for me to make a separate grow box for the 2 herms....In a nutshell is it worth it to grow out hermies for bud (personal use only) if I can quarantine them???? Your help is appreciated, Peace Out and Bless

I just underlined my answers so it was easy to read for ya. hope my advice helps ya out.

DillaWilla said:
1. I want to remove the hermie completely away from the females, YES

2. but would it be worth it to establish another quarantined grow area for just the hermie so I could at least benefit from the bud that it will yield? THATS UP TO YOU. HAVE YOU EVER SMOKED SEEDED BUD? IT STILL GETS YA HIGH.

3. Can a MJ plant hermie in veg????? HERMIES CAN BE DICTATED BY BOTH GENETICS AND ENVIRONMENT. THE HERMIED PLANT HAS A MUCH GREATER CHANCE OF REPRODUCING ANOTHER HERMIE. DO US ALL A FAVOR AND THROW THE SEEDS THAT ARE PRODUCED AWAY.

4. If that is the case I would have two hermies and would not be hard for me to make a separate grow box for the 2 herms....In a nutshell is it worth it to grow out hermies for bud (personal use only)
IF IT IS EASY TO SEPERATE AND GROW OUT. I'D DO IT. THAT WAY NOT ALL OF YOUR TIME AND EFFORTS WERE WASTED, WON'T BE AS GOOD AS THE UNSEEDED BUD BUT HEY ITS BUD IMHO.

Hey Mutt thanks for the reply...Yea I am already well aware of tossing the seeds produced by the hermie, they will do me no good in the long run. Who the hell wants more freak plants. I think I will seperate the damn hermies and grow them out, mainly for the experience and also for the herb...(1 female, 1 male, and 1 hermie aint bad for a bagseed grow) (3 females, 1 hermie, and no males is pretty damn good from my Nirvana Seed stash)...All in all im Happy!

One last question; I can limit the amount of seeds the hermies will produce by trying to cut off as many pollen sacs as possible right???

Thanks for all your help guys...see ya on the flipside!

Peace Out and Bless

DillaWilla said:
Hey Mutt thanks for the reply...Yea I am already well aware of tossing the seeds produced by the hermie, they will do me no good in the long run. Who the hell wants more freak plants. I think I will seperate the damn hermies and grow them out, mainly for the experience and also for the herb...(1 female, 1 male, and 1 hermie aint bad for a bagseed grow) (3 females, 1 hermie, and no males is pretty damn good from my Nirvana Seed stash)...All in all im Happy!

One last question; I can limit the amount of seeds the hermies will produce by trying to cut off as many pollen sacs as possible right???

Peace Out and Bless
Whats up DW. IMO if you can get as many of those balls as possible you will limit the amount of pollen and will end up with less seeds. Be sure to pluck those balls as soon as you see them because they grow fast.

dont throw out the seeds from your hermie plant at least throw them in a forest or field to see what happenss. i always grow mine and have gotten more then a few beautifulk plants that came from hermie seeds. also you may not even have a hermie plant one time i thought i had a male cause there was hundreds of balls everywhere so i took it away from my other plants and grew it anyways. i got a half pound and it was great.

DillaWilla said:

Peace Out and Bless

There are different degrees of hermies. Some will sprout hundreds of flowers throughout the entire grow, others will only sprout a few male stamen, and all degrees in between. Sometimes keeping them picked off is feasable, but the fear of contamination of your good females is risky. Even with a seperate area, pollen can be easily transmitted by you, your clothes, hair, ect, insects, a breeze. "IMHO" it is seldom worth the risk.
A very well respected grower/breeder once told me that hermies are a huge threat to "quality drug strain" cannabis. His beliefes were based on many years of experience and observation.
"If left to procreate itself, mj will quickly revert to seedy, low quality, hemp. In the wild, hermies and early flowering males dominate the paternal half of the gene pool"
He believed that one of the "keys" to breeding extrodinary strains, lies in the recessive traits of late flowering males.

I never doubted him. It made perfectly good sense to me.

Latest posts

Back