Hi, I'm Sativa Joe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropical Sativa Man

Cannabis is bad BC it´s not gender-neutral
Reaction score
I never considered myself a novice grower, but I am realizing that I am :) The last grow I did was in 2010 in the Midwest, United States. I was dealing with Indica hybrids back then, and I've always grown in soil in the woods. Since I had harvested plants in the past, I thought I was a good grower. Now, I live tropics, and I am growing pure Sativas here outdoors. My oldest plants are 3 weeks old, and it has been an action-packed three weeks. Here's what I've encountered so far:

1) Ants stole 3/4 of my best seeds - around 45 seeds :( I never heard of ants eating seeds, but they do here!!!
2) Spider mite infestation. I ordered some all-natural coconut oil based soap to treat the plants. I used Joy dish soap on a few plants to test, and it worked for a couple days. It did not harm the plants.
3) Ant infestation. I mixed my soil with some amendments on three of the plants. My soil contains trace amounts of bone meal, molasses, bat guano, egg shell, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, and worm castings. Apparently, the ants love these elements!!!

Every day has been a new surprise and a new challenge. I'm growing outdoor because I don't have my indoor operation set up yet, and I am growing landrace pure sativas that are bred for outdoor growth.

It's different growing at the equator where you have an average of 12 hours light and 12 hours dark all year long. I've heard some of these plants won't begin to flower until they've reached a certain age regardless of the light cycle. Pure sativas are also known to get 15-foot high or more, which I cannot have. Here, we have two seasons: wet and dry. Other than that, you can grow all year long here.

I also learned that pure Sativa seeds take a very long time to germinate. Whereas an Indica seed will germinate in 24-72 hours, most Sativa seeds won't start germinating until at least 72 hours have passed. Pure Sativa seeds have a lower germination rate - far lower - than Indicas. There seems to be a genetic trait (only thing I can think of) that causes a lot of pure Sativa seeds to crack but not actually germinate. I've seen this several times now.

It's amazing how even a fresh new seedling can tolerate immense heat and direct equatorial sunlight all day long! With Indica seedlings, you have to acclimate them to direct sunlight little bits at a time. If you do that with pure Sativas, they will grow leggy and fall over. You have to put pure Sativa seedlings in direct sunlight as soon as they pop. These little seedlings are extremely resilient and tolerant of immense heat, droubt, and direct sunlight. These are my observations so far.

I'm looking for insights from experienced growers and second opinions. I have a simple at-home garden, and I make dues with what I have, and I have a limited budget. Thanks for reading.

C99 does very well outside. I didnt find one damn bug on my girl thru the whole grow. White flies were on my tomato plants that were growing right beside her but none messed with her. She went thru almost two weeks of constant rain and no mold. Awesome smoke too.

Indeed , c99 does very well outdoors

6A2E6985-18D5-4C6D-987A-4A02AF699A34.jpeg

Hello Joe and welcome aboard

good luck with yor sativas

what flavors are you growing?
Bag seeds. 7 of them are Baguio Gold - an amazing strain! The others are from some Cebu stash that I got. I called it "Wild Mild" because I don't know the name of the strain. But it was super mild smoke with a super wild buzz. Different adventure every time.

Bag seeds. 7 of them are Baguio Gold - an amazing strain! The others are from some Cebu stash that I got. I called it "Wild Mild" because I don't know the name of the strain. But it was super mild smoke with a super wild buzz. Different adventure every time.
Really excited about the Baguio Gold seedlings, and they are vigorous growers. They're 18 or 19 days today and they like they are a month old! With Baguio Gold, every hit gets you higher. No matter how stoned you are, the next puff will lift you up even more!

Indeed , c99 does very well outdoors

View attachment 274282
Based on the appearance of the sun, I would say you are somewhere in the Northern hemisphere???
Only problem is that I live in a place with an average annual temp of 32c
The bugs here are on steroids
Anyway, I will see if ican research c99 and if they sell it on shopee

Based on the appearance of the sun, I would say you are somewhere in the Northern hemisphere???
Only problem is that I live in a place with an average annual temp of 32c
The bugs here are on steroids
Anyway, I will see if ican research c99 and if they sell it on shopee

38 degrees latitude

with temps that high , shade cloth is your friend

for bugs , try Pyganic , it is OMRI and works great

7A08EC4B-7393-4315-9940-C1055E6AB97C.jpeg
14499987-9A32-4998-8CD8-5F98EBC056CE.jpeg

Are those American Giants or Russian Mammoths??? That big dark green bush; what kind is that?
I have a serious problem, and I have actually been considering shade cloth, but I have never used it before. So I don't want to show my house and yard for obvious reasons, but I have 16 seedlings with a few more probably coming. My heart won't allow me to kill them.

I live in the philippines, and i live near mountains. In the USA, I used to grow outdoors, but there are 15-foot king cobras, adult monitor dragons, pit vipers, poisonous frogs, and all other kinds of shit that I don't want to run into in the rain forest here. Suffice it to say, going into the "woods" to grow outdoors isn't going to happen.

At the same time, I have a meager budget. I have one 2x4 grow tent already, and I thought about getting another, but with 16+ full-grown sativas, I would need a lot of tent space. I would be better just converting an entire bedroom into a grow room, but these are land race strains that grow outdoors.

i have space in my yard on the side of the house and in the back of my house. There is a 10' concrete wall that separates my house from my neighbors, but if a neighbor got up on their roof, they would see into my yard if they looked down. So i thought about putting that shade cloth over. Sadly, the back of the house only gets afternoon sun, not morning sun. My question is; if i put shade cloth up, do you think a neighbor on their roof would be able to discern wht's under the shade cloth?

p.s. Honestly, these sativas love the sun. They can't get enough of it. Which is another reason why i am apprehensive about putting them indoors. Idk what to do. Right now, it's manageable because the plants are so tiny, but when they are bigger - especially during - flowering - I am gonna have a big problem on my hands here... I'm actually going to post this reply as a thread to see if I can get some innovative ideas :) Thanks in advance.

I have a serious problem, and I have actually been considering shade cloth, but I have never used it before. So I don't want to show my house and yard for obvious reasons, but I have 16 seedlings with a few more probably coming. My heart won't allow me to kill them.

I live in the philippines, and i live near mountains. In the USA, I used to grow outdoors, but there are 15-foot king cobras, adult monitor dragons, pit vipers, poisonous frogs, and all other kinds of shit that I don't want to run into in the rain forest here. Suffice it to say, going into the "woods" to grow outdoors isn't going to happen.

At the same time, I have a meager budget. I have one 2x4 grow tent already, and I thought about getting another, but with 16+ full-grown sativas, I would need a lot of tent space. I would be better just converting an entire bedroom into a grow room, but these are land race strains that grow outdoors.

i have space in my yard on the side of the house and in the back of my house. There is a 10' concrete wall that separates my house from my neighbors, but if a neighbor got up on their roof, they would see into my yard if they looked down. So i thought about putting that shade cloth over. Sadly, the back of the house only gets afternoon sun, not morning sun. My question is; if i put shade cloth up, do you think a neighbor on their roof would be able to discern wht's under the shade cloth?

p.s. Honestly, these sativas love the sun. They can't get enough of it. Which is another reason why i am apprehensive about putting them indoors. Idk what to do. Right now, it's manageable because the plants are so tiny, but when they are bigger - especially during - flowering - I am gonna have a big problem on my hands here... I'm actually going to post this reply as a thread to see if I can get some innovative ideas :) Thanks in advance.

the dark green bush are hollyhocks...pretty flowers and attracts a lot of good bugs which are good for my cannabis

good luck hiding those sativas from your neighbors....I am out of ideas for that.

12D105E7-15AE-498A-A785-63BD8E0004D5.jpeg
A0F20EDD-38A9-4BA4-B71D-0DC49EFC4F10.jpeg

some Columbian Red x UK Cheese volunteers

C3D88883-9A19-4A39-857D-4C1A7AF4C66E.jpeg

I might just convert a bedroom. I can wrap everything with emergency blankets. They are made of highly reflective mylar. The room has two windows, so one can be used for blowing in fresh air, and the other window can be used to push filtered air out. I would run a couple fans in the room and possibly a dehumidifier, although the room seems pretty dry.. I guess my biggest investment is going to be lights.

Hello Joe. I also learned that pure Sativa seeds take a very long time to germinate. Whereas an Indica seed will germinate in 24-72 hours, most Sativa seeds won't start germinating until at least 72 hours have passed. Pure Sativa seeds have a lower germination rate - far lower - than Indicas.
Not in my experience. My Oaxaca seed germinates in 3 days and the 5 y.o. seed has a 95% germination rate. My indicas germinate in similar time span, as do the hybrids. I see no difference.

I am growing Dr. Grinspoon, a land race 100% Sativa, indoors, in my 5' X 9' X 8' tall tent. I topped them once. Have grown this strain several times before. My previous grow room was 7' tall. If they get too tall, just bend 'em over, won't hurt 'em.

I might just convert a bedroom. I can wrap everything with emergency blankets. They are made of highly reflective mylar. The room has two windows, so one can be used for blowing in fresh air, and the other window can be used to push filtered air out. I would run a couple fans in the room and possibly a dehumidifier, although the room seems pretty dry.. I guess my biggest investment is going to be lights.
Is your place air conditioned? Be careful, my understanding is that the Philippines have no tolerance for drugs

Latest posts

Back