Hi, total noob first time grower with some questions and a problem or two.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to look at trichomes to determine when to harvest. I promise you those are not ready:D

Oh I have. I've read the thread, watched vids, read websites.

I'm watching the trichomes (added the word "trichomes" to dictionary... lol) to see how they're doing. They're turning milky, slowly, but none have turned orange. From what I've read, I probably want about 25% of them to have turned orange. Less if I want a more energetic effect, with a possibility of paranoia, thankfully something I don't usually get, or 50% orange if I want a more relaxed effect. Although I also read that this also varies somewhat by strain.

Mine are Star Killer and 5 Alive. Two strains I've never tried before.

If I remember (off the top of my head) when they turn orange, it's an indication that they've gone slightly past peek THC, and some of the THC, well, THCA, has broken down to CBDN. That's all from memory, so I could be wrong on the exact molecules.

This is a photo from Oct 30. Clear trichomes, but the little white "threads" are healthy.

_04A6707.jpg

And this is from Nov 12th. Turing milky, but fine white hairs wilting.

Bud01.jpg

it is a balancing act, like you said thc is in decline while cbdn is in ascendance. it is impossible to know exactly when thc is at peak without some very expensive equipment, but the observation of trichomes is a much better indicator of ripeness than looking at the pistils:D

That is absolutely correct. Red hairs does not mean its ready. That's why some weed is lime green and will kick your ass and others can be red and not worth a shit.

Here is one of my favorite videos, It is an olde but a goode, I recommend watching the whole series, but for this conversation this one is appropriate:
:D

Time for an update!

The trichomes are starting to get frosty, but none have turned orange yet. The buds are a bit bigger, but I think they'll be small, partly due to my "love" and partly due to the cloudy weather we get here this time of year.

As you can see in the wide angle shot, the first plants leaves are turning yellow on the bottom half, which, I've heard can happen as the plant is reaching the end of it's life.
_04A9951.jpg
_04A9951b.jpg

_04A9964.jpg

Hi, just giving an update, although from what I've heard, it may not matter.

Apparently the person who's letting me use his greenhouse has said that he's turning off the heat Jan 1.

Thanks for all the notice! lol

Anyways, here are a few pics. As you can see with the last 2 that I put circles around, the leaves are doing some funky stuff now. In the last photo, the circled leaves are actually an even more pale then what the photo shows.

As I'm probably out of time anyways, it may not matter, but for the future, I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the trichomes and the leaves.

Thanks again!
Dec_26a.jpg

Dec_26b.jpg

Dec_26c.jpg

Dec_26d.jpg

Hi, just giving an update, although from what I've heard, it may not matter.

Apparently the person who's letting me use his greenhouse has said that he's turning off the heat Jan 1.

Thanks for all the notice! lol

Anyways, here are a few pics. As you can see with the last 2 that I put circles around, the leaves are doing some funky stuff now. In the last photo, the circled leaves are actually an even more pale then what the photo shows.

As I'm probably out of time anyways, it may not matter, but for the future, I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the trichomes and the leaves.

Thanks again!View attachment 267590
View attachment 267591
View attachment 267592
View attachment 267593
How did you take those pictures very close and clear. Also what are those very fine white hairs?

I'm a photographer so I have some pretty decent gear, but not absolute top of the line stuff as most of that stuff is insanely expensive!

I used a 100mm macro lens with extension tubes, as well as a magnifying "super macro" attachment on the front of the lens. I can't remember the name of it, but it was less than $100. The only downside is that you get distortion from anywhere that goes too far past the centre of the attachment, which I'm fine with because I got it for photographing snowflakes. :)

The hairs? I have no idea. They weren't visible to the naked eye, which often happens. The camera sensor picks up stuff you don't see. Could be leftover webs from a few spider mites I had to "evict." ;)

You need to at least have all Cloudy before Harvest are it will be a short high.

Thanks all. But if the guy turns the heat off on Jan 1 it'll drop to +2 in the day and anywhere from -3 to -6 at night. I don't think the plants will like that... Also, what would happen if I tried to dry and cure them in those temp conditions?

Lastly, any thoughts on the leaves I circled? Especially the ones that are dark green, even though not all of them are like that, or the ones that are dark green but have a pale yellow outer edge?

Thanks

All leaves do that when the plant is almost finished. Especially after you cut the N and cal mag a month from at harvest........good looking fade. It you have lost your heat put them inside in total darkness for 48 hrs and harvest....I think they will be fine.

To add to Putembk's reply, when you switch to feeding plants water only, at some point, there are no more nutes in the soil for the plant to consume. So the plant pivots, and starts cannibalizing nutes stored in its leaves, causing the leaves to yellow. This is totally natural and the yellowing will increase until you harvest.

I like the pics, your buds look like they will end up being nice and sticky!

Thanks all.

I talked to the guy with the greenhouse and he's keeping the heat on. *phew* :)

Edit: I know you can't know for sure, especially since it's now winter and we're getting a LOT less light, but do you guys have any guess as to how much longer it will take based on the photos I've posted?

Thanks all.

I talked to the guy with the greenhouse and he's keeping the heat on. *phew* :)

Edit: I know you can't know for sure, especially since it's now winter and we're getting a LOT less light, but do you guys have any guess as to how much longer it will take based on the photos I've posted?
Not being a wise guy, the plants will let you know.

Not being a wise guy, the plants will let you know.

Do you have a pocket microscope or jewelers loupe to monitor the trichomes? While a general rule of thumb is to harvest when the trichomes are milky/cloudy, with 5% of the trichomes having turned amber in color, some people choose to harvest before any trichomes turn amber, and folks like Putembk like to harvest when the trichomes are 30% amber. Are you growing indica or sativa, and what type of effect are you looking for (cerebral vs. sedative)?

No I've been using my camera equipment. (See photos above)

Sativa or Indica? Yes. 2 Sativa, 1 Indica. Sativa cerebral. Indica sedative.

Also, I do know about the trichomes, which is why I've been taking photos, but as a "noob" I thought someone could give me an idea based on their progression, approx. how much longer they may take to be ready?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back